Lucky surprise

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
vtbuck
500 Club

Re: Lucky surprise

Unread postby vtbuck » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:42 pm

Nice!

Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:44 am

I guess lightning strikes twice.

I was burning through the card I just pulled over there and I noticed an antler in some of the frames. I thought that was very strange since there clearly was not an antler in front of the camera when I just went to check it. Check out this sequence - pretty crazy. The antler was only about 10 yards behind the camera.

WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:52 am

What are the odds of that? Did the dog drag the antler off with him?
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:35 am

:o :lol: :doh: :think:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:28 am

WV Bowhunter wrote:What are the odds of that? Did the dog drag the antler off with him?

Yes, then came back to pose for a picture. When I was looking through the pictures on my handheld I was like what? There is no antler there. I kept scrolling until I got to the picture where he moved it and came back without it, I walked about 15 feet behind where he is sitting in the last picture and the antler was laying there.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:44 am

moondoondude wrote:
WV Bowhunter wrote:What are the odds of that? Did the dog drag the antler off with him?

Yes, then came back to pose for a picture. When I was looking through the pictures on my handheld I was like what? There is no antler there. I kept scrolling until I got to the picture where he moved it and came back without it, I walked about 15 feet behind where he is sitting in the last picture and the antler was laying there.

Even the dogs shed hunt in MD lol...
Bonecollecter

Unread postby Bonecollecter » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:01 am

Nice set!I've had that happen one time on camera
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:37 am

Thats gunna be a cooker next year, good luck.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:02 am

Man that is a stud of a deer and just awesome to drop his sheds right there at the camera! Good stuff Man
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:40 pm

Awesome buck!
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:30 pm

What a stud! And the dog :lol: :lol:
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:44 am

That's awesome thanks for sharing.

Do you have much history with that first big buck/do you think he will put on more inches?
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:59 am

JoeRE wrote:That's awesome thanks for sharing.

Do you have much history with that first big buck/do you think he will put on more inches?

He was about 110" last year at 2.5, this year his antlers went 150.5" without a spread credit (right under 170"). I set up a camera where I found his antlers last year at about 4 p.m. on 11 sept. I had pictures of him an hour or 1.5 hours later. I got pictures of him just about daily since, almost daily in daylight too. I hunted there 3 times this year, first 2 times passed him, third time had a couple others from his bachelor group come in and when they passed, i got down and snuck out early. He was shot sometime between october 6-11 through the guts and lived, never phased much at all by it. I figured he would die sometime this year but really hoped he wouldn't, i got lucky there. I still am getting daily pictures of him and his bachelor group. There are probably another 10 or so antlers within 100-150 yards of that camera, but i am not going to shed hunt it due to the regularity and comfort of the bachelor group there.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:46 pm

moondoondude wrote:
JoeRE wrote:That's awesome thanks for sharing.

He was about 110" last year at 2.5, this year his antlers went 150.5" without a spread credit (right under 170"). I set up a camera where I found his antlers last year at about 4 p.m. on 11 sept. I had pictures of him an hour or 1.5 hours later. I got pictures of him just about daily since, almost daily in daylight too. I hunted there 3 times this year, first 2 times passed him, third time had a couple others from his bachelor group come in and when they passed, i got down and snuck out early. He was shot sometime between october 6-11 through the guts and lived, never phased much at all by it. I figured he would die sometime this year but really hoped he wouldn't, i got lucky there. I still am getting daily pictures of him and his bachelor group. There are probably another 10 or so antlers within 100-150 yards of that camera, but i am not going to shed hunt it due to the regularity and comfort of the bachelor group there.

:shock: Holy buckets.

Crazy that he's acting normal. Did the gut hit just not penetrate or did it go all the way through? I have seen that once, shot a buck that had a huge expandable wound through the hide and against the last couple ribs, basically dead center guts but never penetrated enough to kill. Tip didn't even puncture anything somehow...
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:57 pm

Wow, I can't imagine passing a 170". That's what separates the men from the boys. I'm not far enough along killing 140's and 150's to pass anything bigger. I've always heard that you can't shoot a 200 if you shoot 170's. Hats off to you moon, I couldn't have passed him even if he was 3 1/2.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”