Only set of sheds from last year

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bucky

Only set of sheds from last year

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:55 am

Buck goes 122" without spread credit as an 8pt. Pretty close to a 140" 8pt. I saw him this year and he is bigger, even more mass and longer brow tines.

These sheds were found about 30 yards from each other about 7-10 days apart! I must have missed the one side on the first walk...

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
3dog

Re: Only set of sheds from last year

Unread postby 3dog » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:27 am

That's a great set, love those heavy 8's 8-) Hopefully you can find his set this year.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:37 am

Whats the story behind the velvet buck?
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:46 am

Not bad for the only 2. Nice!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:02 pm

dan wrote:Whats the story behind the velvet buck?

Dan,

Went on an early season bow hunt to Manitoba a few years back. 2nd day of the guided hunt I was lucky to cross pathes with a full velvet 10pt w/ kicker. (Hunting late August/early Sept. It was always a dream of mine to shoot a full velvet whitetail. This trip was 1st guided hunt I had ever been on (a reward to myself after completion of my college degree) and I had a great time with the guides afterward scouting and hanging out at the house our group rented. Manitoba requires a guide to hunt the lower portion of the province.

Went back the following year as well and saw multiple gagger bucks (one typical pushing B&C). Made a shoulder hit on the last day of that trip on a 130" class 10pt buck - never recovered the deer but the guide called me two weeks later to let me know he was back out in the ag fields with a little limp. The area is difficult to hunt as the land is very similar to N Dakota with very few wood lots and most Ag land has cattle pasturing on it. Not to mention the trees are not very mature and hunting 12ft-14ft up was considered hunting high (small diameter trees would not let you go any higher)! :lol:

The rates at the time I went were roughly $1800 with license (roughly $200, and lodging included). Which I thought was a super deal for the quality of animals they had. I think prices way be higher now. I have not been back for 3 years now but I still talk with the guides regularly. A friend of a friend shot a 171" net 10pt Booner the year prior to me shooting the velvet buck.

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”