2017 shed thread

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: 2017 shed thread

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:52 am

My third dead. This one was in plain sight on some dry ground out in the marsh. It's been there awhile. Tells me people aren't going there.

Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:06 am

Hawthorne wrote:That's a good question. A mortally wounded buck can travel a couple miles. I think joere brothers buck was found like 2 miles from where it was shot. The problem where I found this buck is it's all private land. You can't blood trail here without permission. If a buck covers 2 miles here he could cross many different properties.

And some states you legally are allowed to track your animal onto private property, some you need a warden, and some you are out of luck if you don't get permission. I lost a nice 8 point 5 years ago when it went onto private and the landowner wouldn't let me track it. Every state is different, I think a couple states the landowner can get fined for wasting an animal if they refuse access and don't search/tag it themselves.

Its a shame but the landowners have a lot of power in politics and usually get what they want.

But yeah I don't question any deer and their will to live. A buddy of mine gave up tracking deer at his house. Every deer he has ever shot died in the exact same 20' area. Regardless of hit. Heart, lung, liver, guts. He goes out in the morning after and finds them without trailing blood. About 500 yards from his stand in a christmas tree plantation on his neighbors land. I think its been over 20 deer now since he started recording it.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:32 pm

Fourth shed I have found in a bedding area this year..All were from this year except this one. Certainly was or is a nice deer for my neck of the woods..Who knows how many points or how big and tall he was..

2nd Deadhead..Both were in a bed...

Regards

Chad
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:22 pm

I was in my first marsh today. When I stepped on something, I just knew. Completely hidden in tall grass but the way my foot rolled and it rolled, I just knew.

Basic three point left side but he must be very mature. At the base are three 1 inch stickers and two points splitting off the g2. The brow tine is like the other base stickers.

Gnarly. Only one so far.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:14 pm

http://rs1248.pbsrc.com/albums/hh495/sw ... 0&fit=clip

Found this one while trying to id a cover type that I was having trouble iding on satellite images
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:11 am

Found a deadhead and 2 sheds yesterday. All were over a year old nothing fresh
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:25 am

So far 6 sheds/2 matches. Yesterday's match were 600 yards apart. Now this snow will postpone the search
Moccasin Hunter

Unread postby Moccasin Hunter » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:47 am

I live in Va and work in Tenn and I saw a nice buck that still had antlers attached as I drove home on the 9th, shouldn't he have already shed them seems a littlte late for that.
"I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know of no way of judging the future but by the past" (Patrick Henry)
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:25 am

Moccasin Hunter wrote:I live in Va and work in Tenn and I saw a nice buck that still had antlers attached as I drove home on the 9th, shouldn't he have already shed them seems a littlte late for that.

Some hold on until Mid April. That's the latest I've seen and I'm sure it's a combination of things. Good food and a high population of doe's.
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:38 am

Nocturnal wrote:
Moccasin Hunter wrote:I live in Va and work in Tenn and I saw a nice buck that still had antlers attached as I drove home on the 9th, shouldn't he have already shed them seems a littlte late for that.

Some hold on until Mid April. That's the latest I've seen and I'm sure it's a combination of things. Good food and a high population of doe's.

High population of doe's? Would that have to do with testosterone levels staying high therefore antlers holding longer?
Joe™
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:03 am

Outdoor814 wrote:
Nocturnal wrote:

High population of doe's? Would that have to do with testosterone levels staying high therefore antlers holding longer?

Yes, If there are a good number of doe's in an area. Some will miss their opportunity to breed and sometimes they may get missed a second time or a extremely rare occasion, missed a 3rd time. I believe once the last doe gets bread, it's shortly after, he drops his set.

They say mature bucks usually drop first. In areas like these I see the younger ones drop first and the older bucks holding strong. I'm sure it's a pecking order thing, but that's just a theory of mine.
Moccasin Hunter

Unread postby Moccasin Hunter » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:54 am

Nocturnal wrote:
Outdoor814 wrote:
Nocturnal wrote:

Yes, If there are a good number of doe's in an area. Some will miss their opportunity to breed and sometimes they may get missed a second time or a extremely rare occasion, missed a 3rd time. I believe once the last doe gets bread, it's shortly after, he drops his set.

They say mature bucks usually drop first. In areas like these I see the younger ones drop first and the older bucks holding strong. I'm sure it's a pecking order thing, but that's just a theory of mine.
I saw him inside a fenced US Army compound where you have to enter a drawing to hunt and the definitely have a very high doe population.
"I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know of no way of judging the future but by the past" (Patrick Henry)
Moccasin Hunter

Unread postby Moccasin Hunter » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:56 am

Moccasin Hunter wrote:
Nocturnal wrote:
Outdoor814 wrote:
Nocturnal wrote:

I saw him inside a fenced US Army compound where you have to enter a drawing to hunt and the definitely have a very high doe population.
And yes he was a very mature buck. I see lots of nice ones there.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:46 am

Found 5 sheds so far, but nothing big. Sunday the 12th I watched 8 bucks feeding and 7 were still carrying their antlers. It's always best the end of March where I live in southern Tennessee.
Not all those who wander are lost...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:49 pm

Saw 2 bucks this week still holding.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”