2017 shed thread

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: 2017 shed thread

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:32 pm

seazofcheeze wrote:Me and Jmaas07 hit the woods today and jmaas07 found this giant MI public shed. Awesome find!

Me pretending I found it :lol:

Heck of a find! Hope you guys get on him this fall and kill him!

Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:07 pm

Seaz I would have believed you if you said you guys went to Iowa or Ohio and found that shed..that's an impressive antler anywhere but for Michigan that's amazing nice work fellas
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:16 pm

Thanks guys, we were in total disbelief. Unreal.
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:19 pm

Good score guys! Hope you get on him this year :clap:
Joe™
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:58 pm

seazofcheeze wrote:Thanks guys, we were in total disbelief. Unreal.

Yep, x2. He's going to be an absolute slob this yr. we have some of the pieces of the puzzle, need to get some more intel...hopefully we can put it together and get an encounter.
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:59 am

Image start them young! 8-)
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:07 am

Image found this match. 600 yards apart
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:44 am

Nice job nocturnal :clap:
Joe™
SMS79

Unread postby SMS79 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:26 am

https://s14.postimg.org/j7ogpalkx/IMG_0212.jpg

Was I really turkey hunting? Or shed hunting? :lol:

I was actually bed hunting under the guise of "turkey" hunting, and I found some sheds in the process. I was walking this finger of a ridge and that big one was off the end of the ridge about half-way down the slope to the creek. It was the only shed I found from this year. The other 3 were at least a year old (surprisingly no rodent gnawing on any of them :think: ). One was a match set laying side-by-side and it was right on the point of the same finger but up at the top of the hill. The other smaller single was along the spine of the ridge about halfway back from the point. Found a fair number of beds around the point of this finger, and there were 2 or 3 that were really good ones! Now I just need to find this dude's other antler!

PS - couldn't get the image to display in the thread, but going the direct link route seems to work.
SMS79

Unread postby SMS79 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:44 am

SMS79 wrote:https://s14.postimg.org/j7ogpalkx/IMG_0212.jpg

I was actually bed hunting under the guise of "turkey" hunting, and I found some sheds in the process. I was walking this finger of a ridge and that big one was off the end of the ridge about half-way down the slope to the creek. It was the only shed I found from this year. The other 3 were at least a year old (surprisingly no rodent gnawing on any of them :think: ). One was a match set laying side-by-side and it was right on the point of the same finger but up at the top of the hill. The other smaller single was along the spine of the ridge about halfway back from the point. Found a fair number of beds around the point of this finger, and there were 2 or 3 that were really good ones! Now I just need to find this dude's other antler!

PS - couldn't get the image to display in the thread, but going the direct link route seems to work.

Follow-up to my post from yesterday:

Here's my favorite pic of that good shed. Also it gives a little better perspective of how long those tines are. My little boy's expression says it all. I've got 3 seasons of history with this deer on a property I've been hunting for 20 years. Suffice it to say, he's a once-in-a-lifetime kind of deer for Georgia ("freak" or "anomaly" would be fitting descriptions as well). I showed a friend of mine a trailcam pic of him the other day and his reaction was, "He got lost. He's really from Kansas or Iowa or Illinois or somewhere like that. I'm not sure how he ended up in Georgia." :lol:
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:43 am

SMS79 wrote:
SMS79 wrote:https://s14.postimg.org/j7ogpalkx/IMG_0212.jpg

Follow-up to my post from yesterday:

Here's my favorite pic of that good shed. Also it gives a little better perspective of how long those tines are. My little boy's expression says it all. I've got 3 seasons of history with this deer on a property I've been hunting for 20 years. Suffice it to say, he's a once-in-a-lifetime kind of deer for Georgia ("freak" or "anomaly" would be fitting descriptions as well). I showed a friend of mine a trailcam pic of him the other day and his reaction was, "He got lost. He's really from Kansas or Iowa or Illinois or somewhere like that. I'm not sure how he ended up in Georgia." :lol:[/quote

Wow nice find
I wonder if there is less rodent chewing in some areas because the squirrel population has been reduced so much
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:45 am

seazofcheeze wrote:Me and Jmaas07 hit the woods today and jmaas07 found this giant MI public shed. Awesome find!

Me pretending I found it :lol:

Nice find and good luck this fall
SMS79

Unread postby SMS79 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:00 am

swampyak wrote:
Wow nice find
I wonder if there is less rodent chewing in some areas because the squirrel population has been reduced so much

Thanks! Best shed I've ever found. Still pretty pumped about it.

I'm curious about the lack of rodent chewing as well. We have a pretty healthy squirrel population. My best guess was that the three older antlers were found along the spine of the ridge which is primarily pine trees and the oaks are down in the draws and creek bottoms. I see squirrels up in the pines some, but just guessing that maybe the majority of their time is spent down the hills. Still kinda perplexing that over the course of a year or more they hadn't once been found and targeted by some tiny chompers.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:54 pm

Had a good day! Shot a tom and found a matched set! 15 points a I think this deer was only 2.5 years old
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:08 pm

Hawthorne wrote:Image

Had a good day! Shot a tom and found a matched set! 15 points a I think this deer was only 2.5 years old

Cool character nice find

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”