Dead Heads

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Re: Dead Heads

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:04 pm

woodswalker wrote:How come no one is bummed about finding a dead doe? To me, deer hunting is about a lot more about the hunting experience, the preparation and learning and bringing home some good meals than about antlers. In my state you may pick up sheds but you may not have antlers found still on a head.

I get bummed when I find any dead deer. Including does.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:54 pm

hunter_mike wrote:
woodswalker wrote:How come no one is bummed about finding a dead doe?

I wouldnt say that is true at all for most of the forum members. Ive found quite a few dead does this spring scouting and its always kind of a bummer. Most of them i am guessing were results of poor shots by hunters during season, since the ones i find are generally younger deer. When i come across them I always try to hypothesize how they got there why they werent recovered and try to learn from others mistakes.

It really bothers me when I find ANY dead deer. The worst ones are fawns that I have found in spring in northern deer yards curled up and dead from starvation. Never a pretty sight.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:32 am

I'd be ok finding one, I pretty much have zero control over what deer die when so not much for me to worry about there. However, the more intel I can find about a deer who didn't make it or maybe I found a deadhead in a safe zone where other bucks might go when they are wounded or pressured. There is always a way to learn something in the woods and the more I know the better prepared I am to hunt the next year.
SMS79

Unread postby SMS79 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:09 am

I understand and agree with many of the responses here: bummer at lost potential or opportunity of getting to hunt that deer; maybe even bigger bummer if I had history with the buck and believed he was still alive; glad to glean potential intel from the find. One perspective I'd like to add is that a deadhead laying out in the woods is dead whether I find his rack or not (kinda is what it is). So given the two options, for me it's a no-brainer: I'd rather find the rack than not find it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”