Matched set

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SplitG2

Re: Matched set

Unread postby SplitG2 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:20 am

I have about 25 matched sets and I have found them laying on top of each other and as far apart as 1.2 miles. Most have been together or within 40 yards of each other. Distance apart they are found, I believe a big contributing factor is the size of the antlers. I've seen large bucks carry one side for a week after shedding one side but most large bucks I see, once one side falls they can feel that inbalance and they'll use their back legs or the ground or something near by to try to get the other side off as soon as they can.

Hunt Hard or Go Home
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:07 pm

I found a match set from a 2YO 8 point they were 200-250 yds. apart.
MikePerry

Unread postby MikePerry » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:49 pm

I have about 10 matched sets most found in a deer yard in a big tamarack swamp, I’ve found some real close together but most are anywhere from 50 to a couple hundred yards apart.
Persistence pays!!!
blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:28 pm

I have 15 matched sets. Most of them were laying right next to the other. I do have a few that were a couple hundred yards apart, and one set that was about 1/2 mile apart. Ironically, the first matched set was the one that was the furthest apart. One thing that I have noticed is that if you find a shed in a field, you can usually find the other side in a straight line back to wherever they are bedding. That's just for me though, I'm sure others have completely different experiences.
bigbucks1234

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:08 pm

That's a great tip blackwidow!! Makes perfect sense to back track to the bedding. I hope to put that tip to practice soon.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:01 pm

blackwidow wrote:I have 15 matched sets. Most of them were laying right next to the other. I do have a few that were a couple hundred yards apart, and one set that was about 1/2 mile apart. Ironically, the first matched set was the one that was the furthest apart. One thing that I have noticed is that if you find a shed in a field, you can usually find the other side in a straight line back to wherever they are bedding. That's just for me though, I'm sure others have completely different experiences.
makes sense to me think about it this way bucks shed from stress a lot that stress can be put on buy a snow storm or bad weather. when a buck gets up covered in snow or water after a storm he's going shake off and head for food. when he shakes he pops his antler then because of the off balance he will shake off the other side while walking out.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
muskieman

Unread postby muskieman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:16 pm

I have 28 sheds found with 2 match sets. Both from 1.5 yr olds... One set was frozen in a swamp that had thawed and re froze. I chiseled them with a rock for 20 minutes to get them out....

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”