Shedding question

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Outdoor814
500 Club

Shedding question

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:36 pm

When I was scouting today I was thinking about sheds in beds and then I got to thinking about this question.

What percent of sheds do you think are drop near there bedding area? I know a lot of guys like to find them in fields and feeding areas but do you think a majority of bucks drop there antlers near there bedding areas?

Joe™
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Shedding question

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:03 pm

I find about 50/50.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
mike perry
Facebook: Mike Perry

Unread postby mike perry » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:30 pm

I seem to find more in bedding areas and on trails leading to and from the beds to the feeding and less in fields. I think this is because around here on public land there is so much competition someone usually beats you to the low hanging fruit. I find more just inside the woods on the edge of fields and in buffer strips near fields where I assume the deer are bedding at night while chewing their cud than right out in the field itself.
Aim small miss small
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:57 pm

I'm just curious because I found the sheds to a buck I passed up during early archery hunting behind my house. Both sheds were about 30-40 yards apart from each other and maybe 200 yards away from my house. I've searched all over the area. I've found tons of doe bedding but no known buck bedding. I thought maybe at first he was just in the area because of the rut starting, but now I'm starting to think he must be bedding somewhere close to my house.

What are your thoughts?
Joe™
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:59 am

Outdoor814 wrote:I'm just curious because I found the sheds to a buck I passed up during early archery hunting behind my house. Both sheds were about 30-40 yards apart from each other and maybe 200 yards away from my house. I've searched all over the area. I've found tons of doe bedding but no known buck bedding. I thought maybe at first he was just in the area because of the rut starting, but now I'm starting to think he must be bedding somewhere close to my house.

What are your thoughts?

If you found his sheds back in there behind your place he very well could and most likely isn't bedding to far. Could be just off your property or you may have just overlooked it, can be easily done. Often times from what I've seen the bucks late season like this aren't traveling to far but that doesn't mean they won't, I'm just saying chances are he is living close by.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:39 pm

a buck has 2 things on his mind that time of year bed and food you don't even need to put in much time any other place follow trails from bed to food sources
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:46 pm

Outdoor814 wrote:When I was scouting today I was thinking about sheds in beds and then I got to thinking about this question.

What percent of sheds do you think are drop near there bedding area? I know a lot of guys like to find them in fields and feeding areas but do you think a majority of bucks drop there antlers near there bedding areas?

also I see a lot of bucks stand up from beds and shake of the snow on their back and kind of stretch out that's normally when I find two laying next too each other. if you found two in same place was it raining or snowing any days prier. because now you might have a idea of wind and know likely places he could have been bedding that day.
SplitG2

Unread postby SplitG2 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:11 pm

Like Stanley said, I too am 50/50. The only thing I would add to it is that I would say the 50% that I find close too or in bedding areas are sheds off of older age class deer. I find some older age class sheds in feeding areas and other places but most I find close too or in the bedding area.
Hunt Hard or Go Home
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:37 pm

Outdoor814 wrote:I'm just curious because I found the sheds to a buck I passed up during early archery hunting behind my house. Both sheds were about 30-40 yards apart from each other and maybe 200 yards away from my house. I've searched all over the area. I've found tons of doe bedding but no known buck bedding. I thought maybe at first he was just in the area because of the rut starting, but now I'm starting to think he must be bedding somewhere close to my house.

What are your thoughts?

I have a similar buck. He moves in late season and winter. Last year I found the sheds this year I found a bed 70yds from a house in a development...if the home owners looked out they would have a nice view of a giant 10pt...I came to the conclusion it was a night bed.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:52 pm

I've found a lot of sheds behind houses they come for food most of the time some of the bucks come a long way for food but sometimes they don't if you have snow start back tracking the biggest tracks you can find and see where they come from

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”