its about time!!!

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ghoasthunter
500 Club

its about time!!!

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:19 am

found a nice shed off a 2.5 year old today that makes 2 for the year. Its been the slowest year ever for sheds I found one in December then found this nice 4 point today. I picked it up on a trail coming off the mountain going down to some farm fields about a mile and half away. all the bucks are staying at elevation. I found it buy glassing with sun to my back looking down the ridge. Buck dropped it near a spring where he's been digging water crest. I walked towards fields today on his travel rout with nothing. going up hill tomorrow to the bed line to try and locate the other side.

THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Net Guy
500 Club

Re: its about time!!!

Unread postby Net Guy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:22 am

Nice job! I think I only found 2 my whole life. :lol:
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:41 am

Good one congrats!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:45 am

Net Guy wrote:Nice job! I think I only found 2 my whole life. :lol:

bedding travel food you don't really need to look any other spot. once you train your eyes it gets easier you will often find them in same areas every year. bucks have special travel routs even in big woods. lots of walking in grids and good glass walk 20 yards stop and glass keep sun to your back. you don't need to glass far ill glass 30 yards sometimes. if your in brush take a knee and look under it.
bigbucks1234

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:47 am

Nice find!! Congrats!!!
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:53 am

ghoasthunter wrote:

bedding travel food you don't really need to look any other spot. once you train your eyes it gets easier you will often find them in same areas every year. bucks have special travel routs even in big woods. lots of walking in grids and good glass walk 20 yards stop and glass keep sun to your back. you don't need to glass far ill glass 30 yards sometimes. if your in brush take a knee and look under it.

Thanks for the advice. I really like the sun on your back and glassing trick. Will definitely be trying that one.
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:42 am

great find

i can relate i have found 1 shed that was a yearling 2pt and i have put in 46 miles of hiking and scouting (i will admit my shed hunts become bed hunts but I still try to stay focused and look for antlers hahah)
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:43 pm

Net Guy wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I really like the sun on your back and glassing trick. Will definitely be trying that one.

with good light they almost glow most of time they fall like the pic so your looking for tines sticking up sometimes they have leaves or grass on them so all you see are a couple inches of tine. I spend some time looking for beds in snow then following tracks to see where they are traveling then once it melts I focus on those areas. biggest thing is to have enough patience to wait if you go to early all your doing is bumping deer out of areas you want to look then its anybody's guess. make a plan and stick to it don't start wandering walk a the transition lines and don't pass any obstacles without looking on the back all it takes is one log to miss a shed. I find them around broken off tree tops from storms the deer get in them to eat buds then pop them off on the branches.

Image found the bigger one of this set like that this fall the smaller side is from same buck the year before they were found about 500 yards apart on same ridge this buck uses the same winter beds ever year if I find his sheds this year he will be a 5.5 year old six point. once you find a good spot you will continue to pic sheds there year after year. just like bed hunting you need to scout and locate these wintering areas that bucks prefer. sometimes there are where your bed hunting sometimes they only get used in winter one thing is they are always in quiet un disturbed areas the last thing a buck wants to do while he's recovering from the rut and harsh winter is have to run from danger.
Image hears a pic of that same old six points winter bed he lays under the same hemlock tree almost every day in winter this has been going on for the last five years lol. it looks open in pic but its surrounded buy thick thorny brush and a wall of laurel to the south and west to the north is a beaver pond from this bed with snow on ground I can see 200 yards out into the hardwoods in the east he travels to a spring and eats watercress then feeds on brush and wax myrtle on a hillside then returns to the bed after January he does not seem to leave sight of this bed ever. he just sticks it out at 1100 foot elevation till spring. I have never located this buck during the hunting season anywhere near hear on camera.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:56 pm

ImageImage

same thing with these sheds same winter beds year after year they are preferred winter buck beds. two different bucks 2 different beds year after year. the buck with split g2 is dead now and I've yet to see another buck take that bed over but I'm sure it will happen eventually I'm just working with low deer numbers so there's no competition for the beds but one day somebody will take it over.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:56 pm

8-)
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:56 pm

hears another winter bed with history.

Image Image Image

the yellow colored matching set I found when I was 10 years old in a remote mountain top bed while snow shoeing. I jumped the buck and started to follow his tracks I picked up his first antler in snow after he jumped a tree. then I followed his tracks for close to a mile and picked up the other side. they are my first set of sheds I ever found. now fast forward 23 years to 2017 season. I decided id take a walk during muzzleloader to where I found those sheds years ago. well when I got to where I jumped that buck what happens I jump another monster buck out of same bed from all those years ago. I stood there thinking about my next move and what do I find laying in the bed but a matching set from 2016. holy cow!!! I decided to hang a camera and back out on that spot for a couple weeks well December 26 2017 I go back up to retrieve that camera and find this fresh 3 point shed in the same bed. well now I have 2 cameras in that spot. the woods have changed over the years but the terrain keeps those bucks bedding in same place year after year. I now call it the buck nest and if I wasn't a clueless wandering 10 year old I might have never found this spot it is the most overlooked spot I've ever found and I have not seen sign of anybody in there yet. you cant see it from a map and its so remote you have to be crazy to hunt it. I'm looking forward to the drag its going to be epic lol.
Mossyhorns

Unread postby Mossyhorns » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:21 am

ghoasthunter wrote:hears another winter bed with history.

Image Image Image

the yellow colored matching set I found when I was 10 years old in a remote mountain top bed while snow shoeing. I jumped the buck and started to follow his tracks I picked up his first antler in snow after he jumped a tree. then I followed his tracks for close to a mile and picked up the other side. they are my first set of sheds I ever found. now fast forward 23 years to 2017 season. I decided id take a walk during muzzleloader to where I found those sheds years ago. well when I got to where I jumped that buck what happens I jump another monster buck out of same bed from all those years ago. I stood there thinking about my next move and what do I find laying in the bed but a matching set from 2016. holy cow!!! I decided to hang a camera and back out on that spot for a couple weeks well December 26 2017 I go back up to retrieve that camera and find this fresh 3 point shed in the same bed. well now I have 2 cameras in that spot. the woods have changed over the years but the terrain keeps those bucks bedding in same place year after year. I now call it the buck nest and if I wasn't a clueless wandering 10 year old I might have never found this spot it is the most overlooked spot I've ever found and I have not seen sign of anybody in there yet. you cant see it from a map and its so remote you have to be crazy to hunt it. I'm looking forward to the drag its going to be epic lol.

awesome story. how did the camera run go on that spot.
Yeah, well....sometimes nothin can be a real cool hand.
-Cool Hand Luke
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:47 pm

Mossyhorns wrote:

Image Image Image

real good i have that big buck i have matching sets too on camera consistently. and the bedding is full of deer again this year. Image
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:00 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
Mossyhorns wrote:

Image Image Image

real good i have that big buck i have matching sets too on camera consistently. and the bedding is full of deer again this year. Image

Good luck. Hope you get him
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”