Shed hunting

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
Evanszach7
500 Club

Re: Shed hunting

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:33 pm

Mossyhorns wrote:When do you guys start looking for sheds and do you feel that it actually spreads some light as to where his main bedding for the rut is?

I start in March. I’ve found them in April too while turkey hunting. Shed hunting public land, with no traditional field edges isn’t easy. I got a shed dog last year which helped.

I stick to sunny days and try to work with the sun at my back.

Haven’t found too many that line up with rut bedding, but the majority are in or very close to late season bedding. I’ve picked up on some late season browse shed hunting too.

Mossyhorns

Unread postby Mossyhorns » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:29 pm

Evanszach7 wrote:
Mossyhorns wrote:When do you guys start looking for sheds and do you feel that it actually spreads some light as to where his main bedding for the rut is?

I start in March. I’ve found them in April too while turkey hunting. Shed hunting public land, with no traditional field edges isn’t easy. I got a shed dog last year which helped.

I stick to sunny days and try to work with the sun at my back.

Haven’t found too many that line up with rut bedding, but the majority are in or very close to late season bedding. I’ve picked up on some late season browse shed hunting too.

Just sun on your back for me he glare of the antler to show better I suppose, makes sense
Yeah, well....sometimes nothin can be a real cool hand.
-Cool Hand Luke
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:24 am

I start as soon as one I am looking for drops. That is usually towards the end of December or early January. Unfortunately, out here if I don't go look for them right away someone else probably will and someone else will find them first. I confirmed that 2 of the top 10 bucks I planned on looking for this year dropped in December, both at the same property. I picked up 3 of those 4 antlers when I went out. A few of the bucks are accounted for but I'm relatively sure they are down.

If I'm not looking for a specific buck, I usually start by just hitting wheat fields or cut bean fields and glassing. I don't like to hit any type of cover or bedding until all or just about all the deer are down, but again out here most of the time that means that it is too late and someone else already hit it.

So far this year I have walked 4 or 5 times. Since I'm hitting mostly fields and not doing any cover, I can really gear it up and can do 8-10 miles in 3 hours. Yesterday I did 3.75 miles in an hour and a half but I did some high grass and regenerating habitat - more of a gentle bump of some deer and an investigative walk - identifying where deer are now and where they're bedding and their primary food source so when I go back through, I can pick it easily. I got a kid on my back if I go during the weekend so that really limits the type of habitat I can search in as well as how long I can go - they usually can't handle much over an hour or hour and a half at most.

Cloudy days and days with a light drizzle are by far my favorite since you don't have to worry about the sun's angle so much.

Different herds drop at different times, it seems a lot of times certain herds drop at roughly the same times. Any given buck drops around the same timeframe each year and in general, the older a buck gets the earlier he drops.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:33 am

Thanks for the insight moon. I understand you keep a GOOD eye on your herd and target bucks. My new place will allow me to develop Intel on a few deer year round and that is a great skill builder.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Howieh2Miller
Facebook: Howie Miller

Unread postby Howieh2Miller » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:20 am

Shed hunting in PA can vary, I usually determine when I go by how the weather has been. I'm talking mostly about the North Central mountain areas. I would like to go in asap. But I feel it's a good ideal to give the deer a chance to recoop and calm down. Especially after being pressured all hunting season. Than dealing with adverse weather. I wait until March, if it has been a mild winter such as last year. They held late and the deer will because they are heathier. A more seveer winter they may be more stressed and drop earlier, depending on mast crop and other food available. When this is the case I don't want to go in there and run them when their energy reserves are low.
Mr. Lehey

Unread postby Mr. Lehey » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:17 am

Well I won’t be getting out walking anytime soon, 2 snow storms in the last week and calling for more next monday. Up til now we haven’t really had any snow, oh well at least it keeps other people from finding my sheds. :lol:
HoosierBowman2425

Unread postby HoosierBowman2425 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:00 pm

Anyone finding any bone? I've been out once. Checked my cameras last week and had several bucks packing both sides still
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:04 pm

I prefer non sunny days after a rain or dampness. The sun makes it hard for me to see them. When they are wet on a cloudy day they stick out like a sore thumb. My system is simple to finding sheds. Beds, bumps, jumps, and food sources. I think it is pretty straight forward. I start in mid to late February. When walking I walk about 20 yds then stop and look all around. Amazing what you can miss from a different angle. Also walk slow, and look for tines, color, or points sticking up. Looking for a whole antler will cause you to overlook many. Train your eyes to see the points, and color!
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:03 am

moondoondude wrote:I start as soon as one I am looking for drops. That is usually towards the end of December or early January. Unfortunately, out here if I don't go look for them right away someone else probably will and someone else will find them first. I confirmed that 2 of the top 10 bucks I planned on looking for this year dropped in December, both at the same property. I picked up 3 of those 4 antlers when I went out. A few of the bucks are accounted for but I'm relatively sure they are down.

If I'm not looking for a specific buck, I usually start by just hitting wheat fields or cut bean fields and glassing. I don't like to hit any type of cover or bedding until all or just about all the deer are down, but again out here most of the time that means that it is too late and someone else already hit it.

So far this year I have walked 4 or 5 times. Since I'm hitting mostly fields and not doing any cover, I can really gear it up and can do 8-10 miles in 3 hours. Yesterday I did 3.75 miles in an hour and a half but I did some high grass and regenerating habitat - more of a gentle bump of some deer and an investigative walk - identifying where deer are now and where they're bedding and their primary food source so when I go back through, I can pick it easily. I got a kid on my back if I go during the weekend so that really limits the type of habitat I can search in as well as how long I can go - they usually can't handle much over an hour or hour and a half at most.

Cloudy days and days with a light drizzle are by far my favorite since you don't have to worry about the sun's angle so much.

Different herds drop at different times, it seems a lot of times certain herds drop at roughly the same times. Any given buck drops around the same timeframe each year and in general, the older a buck gets the earlier he drops.

I listened to your podcast with Mario again the other day. Are you even hunting much these days man or still would rather shed hunt? I think for the guys in suburbs and consolidated areas they should really listen to that old podcast, so many good points you brought up. Good luck in shed season, stay warm!
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:09 am

Bowhuntercoop wrote:
moondoondude wrote:I start as soon as one I am looking for drops. That is usually towards the end of December or early January. Unfortunately, out here if I don't go look for them right away someone else probably will and someone else will find them first. I confirmed that 2 of the top 10 bucks I planned on looking for this year dropped in December, both at the same property. I picked up 3 of those 4 antlers when I went out. A few of the bucks are accounted for but I'm relatively sure they are down.

I listened to your podcast with Mario again the other day. Are you even hunting much these days man or still would rather shed hunt? I think for the guys in suburbs and consolidated areas they should really listen to that old podcast, so many good points you brought up. Good luck in shed season, stay warm!
i do the same i target certain areas first after a couple years of shed hunting you start learning when individual bucks drop and where they drop. i have some spots i can walk strait too and pick up sheds now. shed hunting is no different than actually hunting there are patterns and tactics too it. how i have evolved over the years i can walk into woods ive never walked before and just buy how it looks i can quickly locate sheds. my buddies say im just lucky but in reality its something that ive trained myself too do threw trial and error. if a new hunter goes out and does not find a shed learn from your failure and correct what you did wrong and figure out why you succeeded when you do nothing is random even when finding sheds.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Mossyhorns

Unread postby Mossyhorns » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:46 am

Some good stuff guys. I just got some property about three weeks ago and after I found all the markers and stuff for the property lines I sat up a couple cameras. It’s situated on top of a ridge and I put a camera in each holler. I checked them and was amazed that I seen 4 for sure different bucks that had already shed and 3 that had not but where smaller, guess I’ll be on the lookout for some sheds hopefully tomorrow
Yeah, well....sometimes nothin can be a real cool hand.
-Cool Hand Luke
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:33 pm

Bowhuntercoop wrote:

Hey man. Yeah, I still hunt whitetails but very, very rarely. I'm doing deer stuff a few days a week but that hardly ever involves sitting in a tree with my bow in my hand. The last 2 times I have sat in a tree over the last 2 years, I left with deer.

I love to shed hunt. To me, that is the hunt. If I find him, I succeeded and if not, I try again. I have yet to walk anywhere this year that I don't know the deer i am picking up. Just like in hunting (at least here), with the big ones people know they are there - and they get them before you do.
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:38 pm

moondoondude wrote:
Bowhuntercoop wrote:

Hey man. Yeah, I still hunt whitetails but very, very rarely. I'm doing deer stuff a few days a week but that hardly ever involves sitting in a tree with my bow in my hand. The last 2 times I have sat in a tree over the last 2 years, I left with deer.

I love to shed hunt. To me, that is the hunt. If I find him, I succeeded and if not, I try again. I have yet to walk anywhere this year that I don't know the deer i am picking up. Just like in hunting (at least here), with the big ones people know they are there - and they get them before you do.

That’s awesome! You’re on a whole different level when it comes to sheds and even harvesting giants. I grew up in pa and have some friends that live close to the area your at, they shoot some giants in those residential area.

I think a lot of people over look the residential hunting honestly. It ain’t easy but if ya find that right ground it can be magical.
JWandling
Facebook: Jason Wandling

Unread postby JWandling » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:29 pm

I went for a walk after work today but I didn’t find anything. Driving home I saw a decent 8 point with both sides. So far this year I’ve found one fresh side and a side from last year. How can I post pictures on my comments? I have a ton of sheds I’ve found over the years while driving my car and from my train.
Wapiti

Unread postby Wapiti » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:55 pm

I also like cloud cover and prefer just after a rain or snowmelt when most of the leaves and ground cover are matted down.

I picked a camera yesterday and had quite a few 2.5+ bucks still carrying within the last 2 weeks (Mid-Atlantic). However, I've found that most of the older bucks will drop by the end of February here.

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”