2019 shed zone

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:13 am

so its that time of year so lets see all the beast sheds

THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: 2019 shed zone

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:16 am

Image i found these today scouting up in the mountains "find the bed find the shed" the way i do it every year is i find a buck bed then walk every exit trail and entry trail from the bed i found 3 today with 3 beds.
Dunning Kruger

Unread postby Dunning Kruger » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:16 am

Picked up new years day.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:22 am

ghoasthunter wrote:Image i found these today scouting up in the mountains "find the bed find the shed" the way i do it every year is i find a buck bed then walk every exit trail and entry trail from the bed i found 3 today with 3 beds.

How close to the beds do you usually find them?
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:34 am

Nice finds! They’re still holding here from what I’m seeing. I find most of mine in March
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:41 am

Grizzlyadam wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:Image i found these today scouting up in the mountains "find the bed find the shed" the way i do it every year is i find a buck bed then walk every exit trail and entry trail from the bed i found 3 today with 3 beds.

How close to the beds do you usually find them?

today they were all around 30 yards but ive found them half mile away following trails that exit bedding along ridge lines and swamp trails normally close though. i think the bucks stand up and shake them off. i also find alot in blow down trees they feed on. but beds are the key for me bucks spend alot of time in bedding areas the percentage just goes up. i normally find most sheds on primary leeward ridges too. just a couple things ive noticed over the years.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:47 am

Hawthorne wrote:Nice finds! They’re still holding here from what I’m seeing. I find most of mine in March

i start finding them early too mid December in NJ Mountain bucks start first then as you drop down into swamps and marsh areas i find them mid January then farm country is end January till march. it all depends on available food around me and winter stress.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:12 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:Nice finds! They’re still holding here from what I’m seeing. I find most of mine in March

i start finding them early too mid December in NJ Mountain bucks start first then as you drop down into swamps and marsh areas i find them mid January then farm country is end January till march. it all depends on available food around me and winter stress.

In 3 YEARS of beast scouting i have yet to find a shed. I think im too focused on looking out in front of me and beyond. Im sure if i kept my head down I'd do better with sheds. I have no trouble finding beds. I must not have an eye for sheds.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:58 pm

rfickes87 wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

In 3 YEARS of beast scouting i have yet to find a shed. I think im too focused on looking out in front of me and beyond. Im sure if i kept my head down I'd do better with sheds. I have no trouble finding beds. I must not have an eye for sheds.

once you find a couple it will get easier i find alot prob around 20 or more a year just like slipping into a buck bed its something you get better at the more you can do it. i started on private farms at 12 years old. i used too ride my bike across the county and knock on every farmers door. now i mainly just hit public but i still am always looking for private spots.its way easier getting permission too find a shed than get hunting access. in a way its just as fun you scout out the buck wait for the right time and go in and find his antlers one thing is for sure once you find a big fat shed you will be hooked.
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:32 pm

Shed hunting is pretty rough now with no trails and 2 feet of snow in the woods.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:24 pm

I’ve never found a shed that was current. They are always from at least a season or more ago. Unless they fall in the right place they don’t last long here.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:39 pm

My cousin shot a buck sat night and one of the antlers fell off when the buck hit the ground . Usually this time frame is when they start dropping around me but it’s not uncommon to still have a few holding into march.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Mr. Lehey

Unread postby Mr. Lehey » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:06 am

Took an evening drive just before dark last night. I came to a field with about 10 deer in it and one was a 125-130” buck still holding both sides. I usually start finding them around mid February and later. Two years ago I was super gung ho and started looking in early January, I pretty much burned myself out before I found any, now I at least wait til Feb.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:22 am

This is a shed I found while hunting this past season so it’s left over from last winter. It measures just over 70” AFTER the rodents already chewed a bunch off. I believe this buck is still alive since I for sure would have heard about him being killed locally.

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:50 am

Dewey wrote:This is a shed I found while hunting this past season so it’s left over from last winter. It measures just over 70” AFTER the rodents already chewed a bunch off. I believe this buck is still alive since I for sure would have heard about him being killed locally.

thats a good one right there. i found this one same way nothing better than finding a shed where you plan on hunting. this one was right about 60" Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”