Shed Hunting 101

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NorthStar
500 Club

Shed Hunting 101

Unread postby NorthStar » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:25 am

I have never looked for sheds and have never found a shed antler. What are some quick tips for doing this? Do I just follow fresh buck tracks and hope I trip over them? I would assume scouting and shed hunting could go hand in hand??

“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Re: Shed Hunting 101

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:31 am

They can fall off anywhere, but best bet is wintering/bedding areas and preferred food souces in your area from late January to late March.

Not to be discouraging, but I probably average 5-6 miles per shed found in Montana and about 50 miles per shed in Michigan. It is a great way to spend some spring days though on scouting/shed hunting missions.

Also, binos are your friend.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:50 am

seazofcheeze wrote:They can fall off anywhere, but best bet is wintering/bedding areas and preferred food souces in your area from late January to late March.

Not to be discouraging, but I probably average 5-6 miles per shed found in Montana and about 50 miles per shed in Michigan. It is a great way to spend some spring days though on scouting/shed hunting missions.

Would you say that beds are the best place to find them? Do you use the binos to actually look for sheds on the ground?
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:23 am

Find food.... then work off that

Good wintering food sources is best bet to find a few without walking 10-20/miles a shed
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:24 am

NorthStar wrote:
seazofcheeze wrote:They can fall off anywhere, but best bet is wintering/bedding areas and preferred food souces in your area from late January to late March.

Would you say that beds are the best place to find them? Do you use the binos to actually look for sheds on the ground?

I'm not an expert by any means, I've probably only found around 20 total, but the majority (75%+) have been found in or real near bedding areas. I like to grid an area, and depending on ground cover, use the binos to check out "sheddy" looking objects beyond 20yds or so. I'm mostly using my eyes and scanning an area 40-50 yards wide (20-25yds to both the left and right). The binos just save lots of walking. Say I see a "shed" 50 yards away and it's really a stick (99% of the time). If I glass in a situation like that 20 times a day, I just saved 20x50yds=1000yds, which is a little over a half mile.

Binos are also real nice to look down the rows of a cut cornfield instead of walking all that land.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:35 am

I’ve honestly found twice as many dead heads as I have shed antlers.

The best way I think to find sheds is to train your eyes. Just like if you are searching for arrowheads. You focus on a worked or sedated edge and pointed rocks.

I try to get in the zone the same way before going she’s hunting. You can start in your back yard with a few antlers you already have. Try partially burying them in leaves at study them from different angles. Get your eyes to search for the lighter color, the curve, or the tips.

Another tip is to wait till they start dropping antlers in your area. Following tracks in the snow I’ve heard works well, I’m in the south so no snow really. And going on overcast days when the Sun isn’t casting shadows is your best bet.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:49 am

If I'm shed hunting and I have one while I'm walking, I'll stop and close my eyes then toss it out in front of me. Then open my eyes and try to find it. I find that a good exercise to use in the moment to condition your eyes to pick out antlers from other stuff. Keeps you fresh.

It's harder to pick apart the forest floor on sunny days with all the shadows. Unless it just rained they sometimes shine and stick out well.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:00 am

I believe most sheds are dropped in bedding areas, but I find virtually all of mine in open feeding areas, specifically winter wheat fields on private and wheat/ clover plots on public.
Not all those who wander are lost...
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:02 am

Interested in this topic as well. I read that it is a little easier on overcast days rather than sunny. Also, I'd be interested in hearing about how you train a dog to find sheds.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:30 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:I’ve honestly found twice as many dead heads as I have shed antlers.

:lol: Same for me.

Huntress13 wrote:Interested in this topic as well. I read that it is a little easier on overcast days rather than sunny.

I definitely believe this to be true. White antlers do seem to "pop" more on overcast days to me.

I shed hunt public lands exclusively, and have only been doing it for about 5-6 years now. I've maybe found only 20 or so total. Found 2 really nice ones, but mostly just little forks and spikes that I nearly, (or actually) just happen to step on. The only matching set I ever found was a set of rattling antlers tied together that someone had apparently dropped. Not sure that counts though :lol:

I've read articles, watched videos, and listened to multiple podcasts on the subject and after all of that...the best advice is to get a trained dog :mrgreen: ...but the advice that seems to be most consistent is to just put miles on the boots walking in areas where the deer are usually at, and keep your eyes peeled. As someone else said before, binos are very handy as well. My "shed hunting" time serves multiple purposes though such as just getting out of the house for some exercise, post season deer scouting, spring turkey season scouting. So actually finding an antler is just a bonus when I do.
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:47 am

Beds, jumps, bumps, and food sources.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:50 am

may21581 wrote:Beds, jumps, bumps, and food sources.

And most importantly, timing. Cant find them if their still holding and go to early and you will bump them out only to shed elsewhere.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:08 am

seazofcheeze wrote:
NorthStar wrote:

I'm not an expert by any means, I've probably only found around 20 total, but the majority (75%+) have been found in or real near bedding areas. I like to grid an area, and depending on ground cover, use the binos to check out "sheddy" looking objects beyond 20yds or so. I'm mostly using my eyes and scanning an area 40-50 yards wide (20-25yds to both the left and right). The binos just save lots of walking. Say I see a "shed" 50 yards away and it's really a stick (99% of the time). If I glass in a situation like that 20 times a day, I just saved 20x50yds=1000yds, which is a little over a half mile.

Binos are also real nice to look down the rows of a cut cornfield instead of walking all that land.

And while he's messing around with all that I'm usually picking them up.

Sincerely,

Eagle eye
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:14 pm

Scout in January to find where the bucks are bachelored back up or where deer are wintering.Go back in March to look for sheds. I found 11 one year on one 1000 acre piece doing this
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:32 am

I have found thousands of antlers, and in some years i have found over 200 in a single year.

For shedhunting basics, it starts with knowing your herd in the area you are hunting. Basically, focus on bedding areas and food sources and the areas that they utilize in between. I always know the food source and the best bedding before I go in. Lots of poop = lots of deer activity.

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”