I drew a WI wolf tag! (UPDATE--pictures added)

hunter_mike

Re: I drew a WI wolf tag!

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:06 am

Good luck!

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Longbow

Unread postby Longbow » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:52 pm

I was blessed to take a wolf on Friday!! Pics and more details to come

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Knute78
500 Club

Unread postby Knute78 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:55 pm

Awesome. Can't wail to see the pictures.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:52 am

john1984

Re: I drew a WI wolf tag! (UPDATE--pictures added)

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:11 am

Wow , that's a cool trophy. You gonna get a mount or tan the hide? What county was this in?

Longbow

Unread postby Longbow » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:15 am

This was in Forest County. I'm planning a full mount. I caught her on Friday and they closed that unit (2) on Saturday at noon after only 3 1/2 days!

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:26 am

Congrats. I assume you trapped her?

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:33 am

Congrats!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:37 am

NICE!

One less Werewolf of London roaming the woods eating the wild game!!! :clap:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Longbow

Unread postby Longbow » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:42 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:Congrats. I assume you trapped her?

Yes trapped

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:52 am

Awesome! Trophy of a lifetime!
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:11 am

That's awesome!

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:26 am

magicman54494 wrote:I drew a tag last year..... or so they tell me. I never recieved notification thru the mail. I found out when they sent me a survey asking me how my hunt went. Actually, I got 2 surveys. Somehow they seemed to make it thru the mail just fine. I made some calls and was basically told tough rocks buddy. They took my money, preference points and screwed me good. I have no respect for the WDNR any more. I no longer apply for wolf tags. :twisted:
It was a long time dream of mine to get a wolf. That dream was ripped away by the wonderful WDNR. I hope they make good use of the money they stole from me.

Who lost the tag USPS or WDNR?
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
tcop7
500 Club

Unread postby tcop7 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:29 am

Very cool! Congrats!

[glow=green]Experience Is What You Get When You Didn't Get What You Wanted![/glow]

[glow=blue]McLaughlin Athletic Center[/glow]
[glow=blue]Northwest Ohio's Youth Sports Complex![/glow]
[dropshadow=blue]Visit us at --->[/dropshadow]http://www.macgymohio.com/ [dropshadow=blue]<---[/dropshadow]
Longbow

Unread postby Longbow » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:19 pm

It turned out to be quite an adventure. I'm not used to canine trapping in a sprint. It typically takes a couple of days for the scent disturbance you leave around a new set to fade so I was skeptical about my chances knowing that it was likely to be a ridiculously short season.

We spent days modifying the traps we already had that would be big enough yet under the legal size. Most of the the ones I used were my dad's beaver traps ,#4 double longsprings. I replaced the stock chains with 8' of heavy welded link chain, added baseplates, multiple swivels, inline shock springs, and heavy duty earth anchors backed up by 2+ lb 5/8" rebar drags in case of a failure of the cable anchor. Every setup was then boiled in lye and then logwood trap dye to inhibit rust.
I was able to get solid information on a pack of wolves in a certain area and was able to get permission on some fantastic private property that bordered a huge tract of national forest. The land owner even took me around and showed me all the places they see wolves and sign. The info turned out to be the most critical piece of the entire hunt. One location in particular he really felt I needed to set. When I went in a month later on opening day I was sure he was right and that it was a good travel route for the wolves so I put in a set. I set up all the fresh sign that my father and I found. I put in 16 sets on Wednesday (opening day) which left me with four traps left to put in on Thursday.
There were some loggers working in one section and the landowner said he had heard that they were actually seeing a wolf occasionally during the day while working. I've heard the same thing from other loggers over the years in different areas so I went in where they were working to talk to them. Sure enough they had seen one off and on all summer . In fact one guy saw one take a fawn down while working on his skidder. Even better they were seeing tracks of several wolves right in the log landing nearly every morning. I put in a couple more sets nearby with high hopes.
On the first trap check nothing was disturbed with one exception... I missed a wolf in the location that the landowner suggested! The track that was clear there was twice the size of the wolf I caught. It was so big that he would have had to step exactly perfect in the trap or it would miss. Evidently his foot was not perfectly in the jaws and he didn't get pinched. The disappointment was like a punch in the gut but at the same time it was gratifying to fool a wolf that size on the first night. There were fresh tracks again on some of the roads so I still felt good about my chances, if only I would have enough time before the unit hit quota. It was a strange feeling to check the web that second night and see that three wolves had already been registered which left only 12 left in my unit.

Friday morning dad and I headed out with high hopes and a buck fever-like feeling in the pit of my stomach.The third trap to check was about a quarter mile from the log landing. As I came around a corner of brush I saw what I thought I wouldn't see- a grey wolf looking at us from behind a stump. Anyone who has walked up to a great buck after what seemed a hopeless blood trail knows the same feeling I felt that morning!
It was a fantastic experience in beautiful country and to top it off I got to share it with my father. I come from a family of at least 5 generations of trappers and I know dad was as excited as I was. There is something different about a wolf and its well worth the work and putting up with all the political nonsense surrounding them for the opportunity to hunt one.
I would jump at the chance to do it again.

• Advertisement

Return to “Trapping”