First Trap

• Advertisement

HB Store

SonofUlam

First Trap

Unread postby SonofUlam » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:01 am

We have a badger at our place I'm trying to trap. So far, no badger, but last night I got two raccoons and I think I'm going to make a Davey Crockett style coonhat. I'm pretty stoked. :

Does anyone have any experience making one of these? Anything I should know? Any tips/tricks/important things to remember? I've found a few YouTube videos and such showing how to do it- but I'm sure its probably not as easy as it looks- things seldom are. Thanks!

[glow=green]1 Chronicles 8:40, "The sons of Ulam were brave warriors who could handle the bow..."[/glow]
remmag
500 Club

Re: First Trap

Unread postby remmag » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:24 am

Made one for my uncle a couple years ago. I don't sew so I didn't do that task but the hide is going to have to be properly skinned, fleshed, stretched and dried as well as tanned. Do you have the tools and knowledge to get that far? All of the tools and tanning solution can be made fairly cheap.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:26 am

Not the action you wanted but cool just the same.
Show a pic if you have one!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
SonofUlam

Unread postby SonofUlam » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:40 am

remmag wrote:Made one for my uncle a couple years ago. I don't sew so I didn't do that task but the hide is going to have to be properly skinned, fleshed, stretched and dried as well as tanned. Do you have the tools and knowledge to get that far? All of the tools and tanning solution can be made fairly cheap.

I have a friend who has tools and experience to help me get it fleshed - then I think my plan is to mail it to a tanner. I looked online on how to do DIY tanning and while it did look cheap it also looked very time consuming- I think for now it might be more than I want to get into. I'm having fun trapping though, so if I decide to stick with it I'll definiteLy want to learn that part as well and save some money.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
[glow=green]1 Chronicles 8:40, "The sons of Ulam were brave warriors who could handle the bow..."[/glow]
SonofUlam

Unread postby SonofUlam » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:43 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Not the action you wanted but cool just the same.
Show a pic if you have one!

Thanks Ed! I didn't think to snap a pic before I dropped it off in my friend's freezer (my wife refuses to let me keep unprocessed animals in ours :cry: )

I'll be sure to take some and post them as we work on it though.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:01 am

Im no expert at tanning, have only done it a few times but tanning and fur handling is deffinetly something that takes awhile to get good at. I recommend learning as much info as you can before trying it, there is a lot of different solutions and methods you can try based on type of animal and what your using the pelt for. I have a few different recipes for homemade tanning solutions if interested.

What kind of set and trap are you using for the badger?

SonofUlam

Unread postby SonofUlam » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:04 pm

Since this is more of a get rid of a nuisance type of trap effort- I'm borrowing a neighbor's traps for now. I believe they're 1.5 or 2's? I have a simple ground set that I've staked down outside a couple holes he's dug up recently. I assume he's looking for striped gophers. My neighbor also gave me some bait to use- I think he said that it's rotted beaver or something. Not sure how typical a set up that is- but apparently he's caught quite a few this way.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:53 pm

Sounds pretty much like a common dirt hole set which is very productive for many different species. I don't really know any trappers who specifically target badgers but every one that I have seen caught has been trapped this way, usually a non target catch from a yote or fox set. Couple things I know about them.

First is that they are somewhat difficult to catch when your actually targeting. One reason is because there known to have long travel ranges similar to a coyote, so just because Mr. Badger was there yesterday doesn't mean he will neccessarily be back again anytime soon so patience is the key to success.

Also, I'm sure you already know that there excellent diggers :lol: they can dig huge holes several feet deep very easily, especially when there caught and trying to get free so make sure that your trap staking is deep and secure.

And good luck, hope you get him 8-) post a pic if you do

• Advertisement

Return to “Trapping”