Catchin Snappers

  • Advertisement

HB Store


User avatar
Bayshorebuck8
500 Club
Posts: 946
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:12 am
Status: Offline

Catchin Snappers

Postby Bayshorebuck8 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:16 am

Took a nusiance turtle out of a private pond the other day got him soakin out back gonna butcher him tomarrow. For those of you that dont know turtle make excellent table fair. I eat them every summer. Anyone else trap turtles by jugging or anything else? If so how do you do it and any good recipies? I usually run mine overnight in the crock then fry like fish the next day. Id like to do a chowder with sweet corn and stuff open to all ideas!

[ Post made via Android ] Image


BassBoysLLP
500 Club
Posts: 9419
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:28 am
Location: Central WI
Status: Offline

Re: Catchin Snappers

Postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:23 am

No crazy recipes but I do a week feed out cleanse on the last couple.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Melting snowflakes one at a time.
bkraus
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:02 am
Location: eastern WI
Status: Offline

Re: Catchin Snappers

Postby bkraus » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:18 am

I don't trap them, but my grandparents use to get a couple a year in there pond when they had it, and my grandma use to make turtle soup. That was good it tasted just like chicken noodle soup.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Uncle Lou
Moderator
Posts: 6363
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:32 pm
Location: Holly, MI
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Catchin Snappers

Postby Uncle Lou » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:24 am

I speared one once in the back yard right in the neck. Never got one before that, asked a couple of neighbors what to do with it, they all said take it to the other neighbor they know what to do. So alone I was taking it apart and the smell was awful, threw it in the freezer and think it ended up on a coyote pile a few winters later.

I guess you need a tank and cleanse them a bit or boil them with baking soda or some trick. That was a rancid animal fresh out of the lake and I'm not interested in another. Might eat a crows rear or skunk butt before I try another snapper.

If their is a trick I sure would like to hear how to clean them up a bit
Visit The Treestand Silencing Store
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
User avatar
Bayshorebuck8
500 Club
Posts: 946
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:12 am
Status: Offline

Re: Catchin Snappers

Postby Bayshorebuck8 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:00 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:I speared one once in the back yard right in the neck. Never got one before that, asked a couple of neighbors what to do with it, they all said take it to the other neighbor they know what to do. So alone I was taking it apart and the smell was awful, threw it in the freezer and think it ended up on a coyote pile a few winters later.

I guess you need a tank and cleanse them a bit or boil them with baking soda or some trick. That was a rancid animal fresh out of the lake and I'm not interested in another. Might eat a crows rear or skunk butt before I try another snapper.

If their is a trick I sure would like to hear how to clean them up a bit


Pretty easy actually, put them in a cooler or tote and change the water for a week then itll be clean and so will the turtle. Then butcher them. Ill have to come down and get a few with ya i have one im butchering tomarrow or the next day gonna fry it then if i get more im gonna make a chowder.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
User avatar
Bayshorebuck8
500 Club
Posts: 946
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:12 am
Status: Offline

Re: Catchin Snappers

Postby Bayshorebuck8 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:02 pm

Also alot of guys especially old timers who make soup leave the skin on and boil the turtle and scrub them clean. There are some excellent videos on youtube on catching cleaning and cooking them.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club
Posts: 9419
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:28 am
Location: Central WI
Status: Offline

Re: Catchin Snappers

Postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:14 pm

Bayshorebuck8 wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:I speared one once in the back yard right in the neck. Never got one before that, asked a couple of neighbors what to do with it, they all said take it to the other neighbor they know what to do. So alone I was taking it apart and the smell was awful, threw it in the freezer and think it ended up on a coyote pile a few winters later.

I guess you need a tank and cleanse them a bit or boil them with baking soda or some trick. That was a rancid animal fresh out of the lake and I'm not interested in another. Might eat a crows rear or skunk butt before I try another snapper.

If their is a trick I sure would like to hear how to clean them up a bit


Pretty easy actually, put them in a cooler or tote and change the water for a week then itll be clean and so will the turtle. Then butcher them. Ill have to come down and get a few with ya i have one im butchering tomarrow or the next day gonna fry it then if i get more im gonna make a chowder.

[ Post made via Android ] Image


It helps to feed them out too. It's best not to do the purge in fasted state. Most guys around here use soaked corn.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Melting snowflakes one at a time.
User avatar
Bayshorebuck8
500 Club
Posts: 946
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:12 am
Status: Offline

Re: Catchin Snappers

Postby Bayshorebuck8 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:40 pm

What if they wont eat?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club
Posts: 9419
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:28 am
Location: Central WI
Status: Offline

Re: Catchin Snappers

Postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:10 am

Bayshorebuck8 wrote:What if they wont eat?

[ Post made via Android ] Image


They'll starve

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Melting snowflakes one at a time.
User avatar
Jlars
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:15 am
Location: GB WI
Status: Offline

Re: Catchin Snappers

Postby Jlars » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:57 am

Ive got some hoop traps I use for snappers. I bait them with bullfrog heads. I get the legs... they love bloody frogheads.
I mostly make turtle soup. Ruttabago, sweetcorn, carrots, celery, bay leaves, onion and whatever trips your trigger.
User avatar
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Posts: 6190
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:11 pm
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473
Location: MidMichigan
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Catchin Snappers

Postby Singing Bridge » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:01 am

Cool thread Bayshore!
www.stealthoutdoors.com
User avatar
Jlars
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:15 am
Location: GB WI
Status: Offline

Re: Catchin Snappers

Postby Jlars » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:04 am

Ive got some hoop traps I use for snappers. I bait them with bullfrog heads. I get the legs... they love bloody frogheads.
I mostly make turtle soup. Ruttabago, sweetcorn, carrots, celery, bay leaves, onion and whatever trips your trigger.

What does feeding them out do? Im not eating there digestive tract. Just the meat. Always tastes good to me. Keep everything clean and cool. I like to chop off the head and soakem in a bucket of ice water. Bleed them out good.

Chop off the claws or they will be scratching thru the whole process.
User avatar
JakeB
Posts: 403
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:33 pm
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline

Re: Catchin Snappers

Postby JakeB » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:18 am

Snapping turtles are my favorite wild game! And possibly the most sought after meat around here.

A trick to help skin them, chop the head off first then flip them over and poor a pot of boiling water on them. It'll make them puff up and help you get the skin off.

I cook them in a "sauce picante" basically it's just a Louisiana stew with a few different ingredients. Here is my grandmothers recipe, at 70 years old she will stop on the road and throw one in the trunk of her car!

Image
Outdoor814
500 Club
Posts: 1596
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:36 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Status: Offline

Re: Catchin Snappers

Postby Outdoor814 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:24 am

What also help is cut the head off and stick the end of your garden hose down the neck and hold it as tight as you can and fill it with water. Blows up like a balloon.

Like most have said I usually make soup or fry it.

I use jugs and turtle hooks. Usually just use small bluegill for bait.
Joe™
User avatar
slowpoke69
Posts: 184
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:25 am
Location: West Michigan
Status: Offline

Re: Catchin Snappers

Postby slowpoke69 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:18 am

Jlars wrote:Ive got some hoop traps I use for snappers. I bait them with bullfrog heads. I get the legs... they love bloody frogheads.
I mostly make turtle soup. Ruttabago, sweetcorn, carrots, celery, bay leaves, onion and whatever trips your trigger.

Have any pictures of this. I have a cage/trap I built. It's how my dad and uncle taught me how to catch them. Just getting back into it. We always used the garden hose trick. Would you guys cleanse them, then use the garden hose? Glad this subject came up as our season just opened!

Return to “Trapping”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest