who's running trap lines?

• Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Re: who's running trap lines?

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:59 pm

Bowhunting Brian wrote:
stash59 wrote:
Bowhunting Brian wrote:We can't use snares in WI on dry land. Cable restraints only. They are like a snare, but don't choke an animal. They pull tight when the animal pulls hard against the cable but has a slide so when the animal stops and backs off, the slide loosens and let's the animal breath.

Where's a good place to buy them? Just want one to look at so I make them correctly.

I don't know. I only have body grip traps and coil springs. I'm not trapping yokes anytime soon. Just Google it. Something will come up for you. I took the trapping course last summer. Only reason I know about cable restraints. The slide looks like a washer that's folded over and has holes drilled in it so it slides on the cable.

Yeah I've studied the pics. F&T Fur Trading post And PC Outdoors have Michigan legal restraints. Just not sure if they're are legal here. Guess I gotta hit a trappers convention to figure it out for sure.

Thanx

Chuck

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:58 pm

Bowhunting Brian wrote:We can't use snares in WI on dry land. Cable restraints only. They are like a snare, but don't choke an animal. They pull tight when the animal pulls hard against the cable but has a slide so when the animal stops and backs off, the slide loosens and let's the animal breath.

I would have to look at them as well but this sounds simile to a set up I used for trapping beaver. I used them in drowning sets.

The washer allowed my foothold to slide down the wire leader that was weighed down in deep water but wouldn't allow it to slide back up.

How does that set up allow the "snare" to loosen?
Joe™
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:48 pm

Outdoor814 wrote:

I would have to look at them as well but this sounds simile to a set up I used for trapping beaver. I used them in drowning sets.

The washer allowed my foothold to slide down the wire leader that was weighed down in deep water but wouldn't allow it to slide back up.

It's not the same as a beaver drowning set. You'd have to see it.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:54 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:
Outdoor814 wrote:

The slide is similar to 1 in a drowning set. But something is added to it. If your curious just go to the WiDNR website and go to the trapping regs.
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:06 am

stash59 wrote:
Bowhunting Brian wrote:
Outdoor814 wrote:

The slide is similar to 1 in a drowning set. But something is added to it. If your curious just go to the WiDNR website and go to the trapping regs.

Thanks stash I'd like to check it out
Joe™
Robert

Unread postby Robert » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:20 am

Hey guys, I get my snares from the Minnesota trapline website. They have Wisconsin legal cable restraints. Plus there foot hold traps are the best in my opinion. Mb's 450, 550, or 650. All good for coyotes. They have everything you'll need.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:07 am

Robert wrote:Hey guys, I get my snares from the Minnesota trapline website. They have Wisconsin legal cable restraints. Plus there foot hold traps are the best in my opinion. Mb's 450, 550, or 650. All good for coyotes. They have everything you'll need.

Thanx!! Yeah I've read some good stuff on them. Just beyond my budget right now. :doh: :mrgreen:
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:41 am

Not going to be trapping for awhile. It's not even worth my time or effort anymore.

Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:46 am

stash59 wrote:
Robert wrote:Hey guys, I get my snares from the Minnesota trapline website. They have Wisconsin legal cable restraints. Plus there foot hold traps are the best in my opinion. Mb's 450, 550, or 650. All good for coyotes. They have everything you'll need.

Thanx!! Yeah I've read some good stuff on them. Just beyond my budget right now. :doh: :mrgreen:

Mb's are the way to go have a lot of 650s and 750s. Great beaver traps.
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:10 am

Findian wrote:Not going to be trapping for awhile. It's not even worth my time or effort anymore.

That's understandable. Pretty much same reason I haven't been doing it. Not worth it. Faux furs are taking over.
Joe™
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:10 am

Findian wrote:Not going to be trapping for awhile. It's not even worth my time or effort anymore.

Findian not a lot of money for all those hides. :roll:

Black bear and beaver pelts at 10? I don't remember what they use to be. But they all seem awefully low.
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:43 am

Outdoor814 wrote:

That's understandable. Pretty much same reason I haven't been doing it. Not worth it. Faux furs are taking over.

Yeah, they didn't even want the yotes.
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:47 am

Nocturnal wrote:

Findian not a lot of money for all those hides. :roll:

Black bear and beaver pelts at 10? I don't remember what they use to be. But they all seem awefully low.

I remember when I would get 40 for a beaver. 150 for an otter or a cat. 80 for the bear hides.
Just not the same as it used to be.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:44 am

Horrid year for me primarily due to weather. Rain, freeze, snow, melt, freeze,rinse, repeat. More waxed dirt going out than FnT. Few red and not one yote. Between traps and guns 7 fell last yr and I feel the population is the same. In it for Saving game and settling past killed livestock scores.....and TG or I'd be starving if this was a job
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:24 am

A good reminder to everyone, check your regs. What is legal for trapping varies a LOT state to state. Some places you can use snares on dry land, some not, some places you can use conibears, some places not. I know some states even have special restrictions on what type of footholds you can use, softcatch jaws and all that. In any urban area usually there are other special restrictions or all out trapping bans.

Ouch. Yea I wouldn't be catching coyotes for anything but nuisance control. I have a bunch of them in the freezer. Hope next year is a little better because I won't have any more freezer room and will have to sell :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Trapping”