Trapping stakes

• Advertisement

HB Store

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Trapping stakes

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:28 pm

I am in a welding class and we need a "project" :roll:

I am not confident enough in my skills to weld up any climbing sticks or anything like that but thought I would try my hand at making some trapping stakes. For the few trappers on here do you guys use the rebar stakes? If so what diameter is the rebar rod and how big is the nut you drive onto the stake? I know some guys use washers I have heard the nut to be a better move. They force it on then weld it so it holds tight. Any other suggestions for some welding projects? The class meets for 4hrs at a time once a week so thats a lot of time to weld I may need more ideas.

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
muddy

Re: Trapping stakes

Unread postby muddy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:31 pm

18 inches long, 1/4 thick. If I needed more I'd use two and pound them in 45 degrees to the ground so their tops touched just above ground. That held a 55# beaver in wet ground for me with a short chain.

If you make them much longer you will need a backhoe to get them out on your own.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:37 pm

i use rebarb stakes with a nut welled at the top just an inch down ...when i swing ive broke of the nut before so i put them a inch down from the top and wala .....
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
LKALIS
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby LKALIS » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:32 am

I USE 30 INCHES OF 1/2 REROD WITH 1/2 HEX NUT CROSS STAKED THEY DONT POP OUT MADE A PULLER OUT OF A PIECE OF LEAF SPRING AND A ONE INCH SQUARE HANDLE ABOUT 40 INCHES LONG LIKE A CLAW HAMMER CUT SLOTS IN LEAF SPRING WORKS WELL IN FROZEN GROUND NEVER FAILED YET CRITTERS ARE WAITING IN THE MORNING :lol:
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:47 pm

3/8 rebar is common i think. 1/2 better yet.
Some stakes i have bought also had a knot welded about 4 or 5 inches from tip and was called a dog knot stake. Supposed to reduce pull ups. Or a guy could tack something different down the stake to keep them down like some sort of wings/angled outward/flaps/?
Different lengths are also useful for different ground (18, 24,,,).
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
NWGun

Unread postby NWGun » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:04 am

Feel kinda dumb responding to old posts. I use 1/2 inch rebar 18 and 24 inches cross staked on most my land traps. I do have a few 36 inches for the peat bogs around here too. Rigged a dozen with MB chain stakes last year and really like them, gonna get more.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Trapping”