• Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Episode #3, bedded buck discussion

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:18 am

Episode #3 is airing right now...

[bbvideo=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD396slTRO4&feature=youtu.be[/bbvideo]

Anybody have any questions, comments, or concerns about the show?

dan
Site Owner

Re: Episode #3, bedded buck discussion

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:18 am

I was really questioning the hit. It looked and felt great, but sounded like it hit bone, and the deer bounded off unlike a mortally wounded animal...
I did not notice till editing the show, but at the shot you can see something that looks black fly thru the viewing screen... I am guessing it could of been a fletching? but not sure...
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:24 am

dan wrote:I was really questioning the hit. It looked and felt great, but sounded like it hit bone, and the deer bounded off unlike a mortally wounded animal...
I did not notice till editing the show, but at the shot you can see something that looks black fly thru the viewing screen... I am guessing it could of been a fletching? but not sure...

You had a very serious and worried look on your face talking into the camera Dan! I've been there man! It sucks! You could tell though by your facial expressions that you had some doubt that you may not recover him...I really appreciate your honesty Dan! Not many hunters would have used that footage! I have a lot of respect for you Dan! Great stuff!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:48 am

That is the most amazing hunting video I have ever seen. My understanding of the whole process just took a huge leap forward. To see the buck in his bed :shock: , to see him rise up from his bed :shock: and see him move down a trail you pre determined he would... incredible!
Cathing wild pigs by hand, filming on a frozen marsh in a short sleeve t-shirt.....Dan, you were born 10,000 years too late. You should have been spearing wooly mammoths by hand. ( or maybe just catching them and releasing them)!
Outstanding work.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:50 am

Good show, that really shows guys how you do it. I got a feeling that might change a few minds and make some more believers on here ;)
Couple questions for you..
Did you know that buck was using that bed at the time? If so how?
Was that your first sit over that bed?
If that buck looked your direction would it have seen you climbing the tree from being bedded?
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:51 am

KLEMZ wrote:That is the most amazing hunting video I have ever seen. My understanding of the whole process just took a huge leap forward. To see the buck in his bed :shock: , to see him rise up from his bed :shock: and see him move down a trail you pre determined he would... incredible!
Cathing wild pigs by hand, filming on a frozen marsh in a short sleeve t-shirt.....Dan, you were born 10,000 years too late. You should have been spearing wooly mammoths by hand. ( or maybe just catching them and releasing them)!
Outstanding work.

Different breed for sure :lol:
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:55 am

Just awesome! Too climb that tree and see those antlers in the bed, awesome! To see him rise up, check the wind, stretch and walk your way, way cool Dan! To self film it, priceless!!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:59 am

dan wrote:Episode #3 is airing right now...

videocast/

Anybody have any questions, comments, or concerns about the show?

Sorry Dan the PATRIOTS are playing a close one - You'll have to wait Sire ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:00 am

Yes I will be watching it again tonite!! To see everything we talk about on the forum unfold on video, I can't think of a better learning tool. This site and videos are just second to none!!! Great job Dan!!!

Obsession Bows
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:23 am

adrenalin wrote:Good show, that really shows guys how you do it. I got a feeling that might change a few minds and make some more believers on here ;)
Couple questions for you..
If that buck looked your direction would it have seen you climbing the tree from being bedded?

I was suspicious that a good buck would be bedding this spot at the time I hunted (Mid Oct.)
Because of sign in and around the adjacent cornfield, and based on past experience with bucks around that area when corn is up.... This is a small area. There were two shooter bucks in the area this past season. I was pretty sure one of them would be using that bed. The trick is picking the right day.
By the looks of the bed, he had been using it, but not all the time. There were other beds in the same area he could of been using. I would not of been overly surprised if he were not there. The spot was hunted the year before and nothing showed.

No, but it was the 1st sit this season... I hunted it last year to.

It would of been possible... When you look at my scouting footage you see the tree in plain sight, but you need to remember thats winter/spring scouting and the cattails are knocked down quite a bit making visibility better from that bed to the stand. Where I set the stand, and being below it as I set it, the buck would most likely not have seen me setting the stand unless I made a fast move, or a noise...
But slipping into the stand was pretty risky, and was the point where some people would get busted.
Once I saw the buck I also had to put the camera arm up and get the camera on... When you look up at the hung stand from the marsh, your not looking from the bed. Your looking from where he stood at the shot. There was some cover present when I slipped into position.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:27 am

Wow, that was some amazing footage Dan. You can't get much more proof of your technique than that. Real good episode. :clap:

That buck was up way before dark, did you pick that day from the Murray charts or was it just a day you could hunt?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:32 am

Mid october is a time I have struggled in the past. You need to be close to the bed obviously! What made this day the day to move in for the kill? Looked like a beautiful evening!

Obsession Bows
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:37 am

How early did you shoot him?? Looked plenty early??

Obsession Bows
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:42 am

That buck was up way before dark, did you pick that day from the Murray charts or was it just a day you could hunt?

It was just a day I could hunt... It was Oct. 24th if you want to look... I often see them move early around bedding. I use the moon phase for evening hunts where I need to hunt farther back and worry more about the deer making that far. I was pretty close to this buck... So I expected daylight movement.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:43 am

Public Land Beast wrote:How early did you shoot him?? Looked plenty early??

I think it was about an hour before dark.

• Advertisement

Return to “Extreme Whitetail Tactics”