Episode #3, bedded buck discussion

• Advertisement

HB Store

UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Re: Episode #3, bedded buck discussion

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:08 pm

Dan, absolute awesome proof to your tactics bro! did you film the scout this season before the hunt or last winter? Great job, sorry about the recovery, but thanks for showing it bud.

Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:19 pm

Awesome video and being honest about a shot makes a good hunter IMO. Nice setup, cool footage.

Most of your setups you can see them in the bed from the tree you pick out or was that just the case in this scenario?
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:24 pm

Awesome show Dan! It was really cool to see that buck rise up out of his bed.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:48 pm

That was excellent Dan. As some have already stated it proves that bedding is key. I also really appreciated your honestly and encouragement to young and new hunters concerning the hit. Great footage Dan in showing how to set up close to these bedded deer. It is an exciting feeling to see them bedded like that from the tree. I watched my target buck in his bed for a good while this year, I was tore up like a train wreck.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:01 pm

Great vid Dan, you gotta love seeing the rack sticking up out of his bedroom. I can't say I have experienced this yet but I am really looking forward to the first time I do.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:07 pm

Spysar wrote: You can't get much more proof of your technique than that.

well said spy .......Exactly
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:23 pm

Great episode Dan and thanks for making this! 8-) By far the greatest learning experience I ever had from a hunting show.

That was a really cool setup and something I have experienced a few times myself. Seeing the bedded buck you are after from your stand is as intense as it gets. I can really see what you mean now about not setting your stand up too high in the tree because the buck will see you from his bed. Thinking back to past hunts I have been burned by setting up too high at times and need to make an effort to setup lower. I always think I have to be higher for better visability but if you know where the buck is bedded this shouldn't matter. I loved the whole sequence of events from the time the buck was bedded till the shot. It just doesn't get any better than that on video. :clap:

I think it is cool that you made a show about the buck you didn't recover. Like you said this is the reality of a hunter and it happens to everyone so why not use it for a learning experience.

Thanks again for all that you do Dan. Keep up the great work!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:05 pm

I liked the show. Very nice to see how you do it. Filming really adds to the tough factor. The skill level to pull that off is way up there. I'm impressed for sure.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:17 pm

Well done, Dan. 8-)
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:31 pm

Very well done Dan! :clap: The scouting and tree selection really adds to the end product, and having the video tells so much more of the story than just pics.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:36 pm

Most of your setups you can see them in the bed from the tree you pick out or was that just the case in this scenario?

No... In most set ups you can't see the deer. This was one of the exceptions. A lot of the set ups in the marsh though, I can see him as soon as he stands.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:55 am

Just got done watching it again!! 8-) Dan, you did a great job on Episode 3!! My favorite so far!! :D
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:55 am

Great job on the video. Love the whole story line from scouting to setting up on the buck. Glad you're willing to show the shot even though the buck wasn't recovered. This shows how, how hard work in the off season definitely pays out.

Keep'em coming Dan. Thanks for sharing the knowledge. :clap:
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:32 am

Dan, would you call that an "overlooked" spot? Basically, a scraggly clump of scrub trees where you set up right off the cornfield. The dogwood bedding spot was only 55-60 yards from the stand tree. I could see a large area of upland woods further east that probably attracts the majority of the hunters?
Also, his bed was on the very edge of the dogwood clump so I would have thought it would be an easterly wind bed, yet you hunted it with a south west wind (as far as I can tell). How did you know he used this bed on that wind? Is this an any wind bed?
Thanks.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:15 pm

Great job on the video Dan. I really like how you showed the whole process in order from aerial pics, to the scouting, the bed, your set-up, reaching your stand, and then hunting/tracking. Definitely my favorite episode format so far. Great footage to show people what exactly your up against. I give you a lot of credit, that tree must have been tough with all those branches!

You said there were other beds along the cattail/dogwood transition. I was wondering why you picked to hunt that particular bed.... did it have the best tree for a stand available? most buck sign? could you tell that bed had been used the most?

Thanks again for never making excuses, just making it happen!
When better is possible, good is never good enough

• Advertisement

Return to “Extreme Whitetail Tactics”