Episode 5 is airing - The second chance buck

  • Advertisement

HB Store


User avatar
Dewey
Moderator
Posts: 22646
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Episode 5 is airing - The second chance buck

Postby Dewey » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:33 am

I really enjoyed the episode. Have done very little hill country hunting myself so it's always great learning something new. You did a great job explaining the set up and gives me a much better understanding of where bucks move in that terrain.


User avatar
dan
Site Owner
Posts: 31757
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Online

Re: Episode 5 is airing - The second chance buck

Postby dan » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:22 am

bowmike wrote:I liked this episode. I have a few places with funnels like that. Those short ridges like a "hogback" can be tough because in my area the prevailing wind will be blocked by another mountain on the other side. The elevation on the topo looked a bit higher than what I normally see in your post or comments. Is there any reason on this. It really showed the Leeward side of the mountain idea, and give you a bit better understanding than that of the hill country bucks dvd.

I liked seeing the mountains in the back ground of the recovery footage as well. I didn't know Wisconsin had high mountains like that.

I have a video of a buck from this year that entered that scent pool just as yours did. I will share as well. He was just a little guy but the wind was blowing directly at me. You can see in the video he makes it just to the base of my tree and about a 3yrd circle around my tree there is the pool of scent. I did not move or anything that should have alarmed this little buck but he definetly caught that scent pool. I had a doe do the same thing on the first day of the year. I had to set up really close to the main trail because there were no other trees. I could have smoked him 10 times but just wanted to hold out for a nicer buck.

http://youtu.be/BrE71iSbQhs

I thought the buck may have heard something of my coat but the wind and rain eliminated that theory. I think you are spot on with the pool of scent and the rain put my scent right at the bottom of the tree. GOOD POINT! I never thought of that scenario, but I feel that is exactly what happened with this little guy. This was the only tree that I could climb and could only climb up it about 12'. Makes it tough when they get that close. I was in an oak tree and never thought that the deer would come right under me to eat the acorns. There is a heavy trail right in front of me and I assumed they would just stick to the trail. Boy was I wrong.

Thanks for the feed back... We don't have mountains here, those are still considered hills.
I liked your youtube clip... It showed once again that often when they spook its not over, you get a second chance a lot if you keep your head in the game and don't take the bad shot quartering too... If your buck was a shooter, and if the was no shot before he saw you, I would of drawn right when he ran, and when he stopped to look back, smacko ...
User avatar
uncleron
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:14 am
Location: SE MI
Status: Offline

Re: Episode 5 is airing - The second chance buck

Postby uncleron » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:26 am

Great episode as always Dan! :clap:

Something not yet mentioned is the good lesson to be learned at the end. Find a small tree with a critter in it, give it a good shake and BAM, free cover scent! :lol:
User avatar
bowmike
500 Club
Posts: 680
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:13 am
Location: SOUTHWESTERN PA
Status: Offline

Re: Episode 5 is airing - The second chance buck

Postby bowmike » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:41 am

dan wrote:
bowmike wrote:I liked this episode. I have a few places with funnels like that. Those short ridges like a "hogback" can be tough because in my area the prevailing wind will be blocked by another mountain on the other side. The elevation on the topo looked a bit higher than what I normally see in your post or comments. Is there any reason on this. It really showed the Leeward side of the mountain idea, and give you a bit better understanding than that of the hill country bucks dvd.

I liked seeing the mountains in the back ground of the recovery footage as well. I didn't know Wisconsin had high mountains like that.

I have a video of a buck from this year that entered that scent pool just as yours did. I will share as well. He was just a little guy but the wind was blowing directly at me. You can see in the video he makes it just to the base of my tree and about a 3yrd circle around my tree there is the pool of scent. I did not move or anything that should have alarmed this little buck but he definetly caught that scent pool. I had a doe do the same thing on the first day of the year. I had to set up really close to the main trail because there were no other trees. I could have smoked him 10 times but just wanted to hold out for a nicer buck.

http://youtu.be/BrE71iSbQhs

I thought the buck may have heard something of my coat but the wind and rain eliminated that theory. I think you are spot on with the pool of scent and the rain put my scent right at the bottom of the tree. GOOD POINT! I never thought of that scenario, but I feel that is exactly what happened with this little guy. This was the only tree that I could climb and could only climb up it about 12'. Makes it tough when they get that close. I was in an oak tree and never thought that the deer would come right under me to eat the acorns. There is a heavy trail right in front of me and I assumed they would just stick to the trail. Boy was I wrong.

Thanks for the feed back... We don't have mountains here, those are still considered hills.
I liked your youtube clip... It showed once again that often when they spook its not over, you get a second chance a lot if you keep your head in the game and don't take the bad shot quartering too... If your buck was a shooter, and if the was no shot before he saw you, I would of drawn right when he ran, and when he stopped to look back, smacko ...


Yep, I had to talk myself out of shooting him because, It was as if he was gifted to me though. I got climbed up, realized my release was on the ground, climbed back down. When I got up to pull my bow up my rope was not connected. I had a do or die situation and wedged the clip for my bow in between the sting and cam and pulled it up. I said out loud as I unclipped the bow, and turned around "If I see a deer tonight it will be a freakin miracle" Looked to my left and there was this little guy hammering acorns at about 18 yards. I did not move at all when his head popped up. It is crazy that they know where the source of the scent pool is. I agree that I could have had the quartering away shot and snuck it in on him. he continued to eat acorns after that and just walked off. I think that if they get your scent and spot you right away but you keep calm, They will run out a bit, and try to pick up your scent or catch you move, much like both your buck and the little guy did.

Here was another beast worthy observation. There were 2 grouse that followed him around, and would run up and pick up acorn pieces that fell out his mouth. They would run right up to his mouth. I watched him shoo them away a few times with his antlers. I imagine they could not break the shells, but would hammer the ones that fell out. Pretty cool.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
User avatar
dan
Site Owner
Posts: 31757
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Online

Re: Episode 5 is airing - The second chance buck

Postby dan » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:12 am

uncleron wrote:Great episode as always Dan! :clap:

Something not yet mentioned is the good lesson to be learned at the end. Find a small tree with a critter in it, give it a good shake and BAM, free cover scent! :lol:

Yea... Im surprised there were not more comments about the coon giving me a "shower" :lol:
CMBOSTC
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:37 pm
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/CMBrumfi ... 3950568191
Status: Offline

Re: Episode 5 is airing - The second chance buck

Postby CMBOSTC » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:40 am

I was going to but since I'm the newbie I didn't want to come off as a jerk. But, since you brought it up... how does coon pee taste?

-Chris
User avatar
crankn101
Posts: 281
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:29 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Episode 5 is airing - The second chance buck

Postby crankn101 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:42 am

dan wrote:
crankn101 wrote:I still dont know where to find the new hunting shows...Ill look back later.

Click the HB/TV button
Image



Thank you sir. Great video and informative as usual.
User avatar
dan
Site Owner
Posts: 31757
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Online

Re: Episode 5 is airing - The second chance buck

Postby dan » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:40 am

CMBOSTC wrote:I was going to but since I'm the newbie I didn't want to come off as a jerk. But, since you brought it up... how does coon pee taste?

-Chris

Not very good... I certainly wouldn't recommend it.
CMBOSTC
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:37 pm
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/CMBrumfi ... 3950568191
Status: Offline

Re: Episode 5 is airing - The second chance buck

Postby CMBOSTC » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:11 pm

Wasn't going to but sure was funny watching you! LOL!
User avatar
PredatorTC
ProStaff
Posts: 2315
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:50 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Episode 5 is airing - The second chance buck

Postby PredatorTC » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:27 pm

dan wrote:
exojam wrote:Cannot believe he busted you like that. I thought it was crazy how he kept sniffing at the root (or fallen tree) and than picks his head right up to you. I figured it was over at that point and time.


Thats part of the reason I wanted to make this show segment... I think lots of people get into that situation. Its fairly common. Look at the video PredatorTC posted of that 140 class coming in and him having to decide whether or not to shoot... He made the right decision. But, its easy to to make a regrettable decision under the stress of having that buck that close and the fear of loosing it.
Most guys who have knocked a few good bucks down have learned the lesson of waiting for the right shot despite the chance of the buck getting away thru the school of hard knocks and having taken a bad shot or two... I am no exception. There have been a few arrows I really wished I could take back... Hopefully shows like this one will help people realize it ain't necessarily over cause the deer busted you. And patience is far better than killing but not finding a big buck.



WOW! I just had time to watch the show and I think you touched on every point and aspect of my hunt from last Friday. The whole picking your shots part was interesting as well. I don't know what I could have done differently last Friday but it eats me up every hour of every day. I can defiantly take some things away from this show or in the future. I thought that the 140 stopped to look for girls, but now as you mentioned, He was licking his nose and smelling my scent pool. So when he bolted he wasn't running off to find girls, he was scared crapless. When I bleated at him he sped up. I wonder if I would not have done that it he would have slowed down enough for a nice quartering away shot a few steps after his initial bolt...

This was the smallest buck on any episode but I don't care. This is my favorite episode!
User avatar
PredatorTC
ProStaff
Posts: 2315
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:50 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Episode 5 is airing - The second chance buck

Postby PredatorTC » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:28 pm

PredatorTC wrote:
dan wrote:
exojam wrote:Cannot believe he busted you like that. I thought it was crazy how he kept sniffing at the root (or fallen tree) and than picks his head right up to you. I figured it was over at that point and time.


Thats part of the reason I wanted to make this show segment... I think lots of people get into that situation. Its fairly common. Look at the video PredatorTC posted of that 140 class coming in and him having to decide whether or not to shoot... He made the right decision. But, its easy to to make a regrettable decision under the stress of having that buck that close and the fear of loosing it.
Most guys who have knocked a few good bucks down have learned the lesson of waiting for the right shot despite the chance of the buck getting away thru the school of hard knocks and having taken a bad shot or two... I am no exception. There have been a few arrows I really wished I could take back... Hopefully shows like this one will help people realize it ain't necessarily over cause the deer busted you. And patience is far better than killing but not finding a big buck.



WOW! I just had time to watch the show and I think you touched on every point and aspect of my hunt from last Friday. The whole picking your shots part was interesting as well. I don't know what I could have done differently last Friday but it eats me up every hour of every day. I can defiantly take some things away from this show or in the future. I thought that the 140 stopped to look for girls, but now as you mentioned, He was licking his nose and smelling my scent pool. So when he bolted he wasn't running off to find girls, he was scared crapless. When I bleated at him he sped up. I wonder if I would not have done that it he would have slowed down enough for a nice quartering away shot a few steps after his initial bolt...

This was the smallest buck on any episode but I don't care. This is my favorite episode!
User avatar
dan
Site Owner
Posts: 31757
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Online

Re: Episode 5 is airing - The second chance buck

Postby dan » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:24 pm

PredatorTC wrote:
dan wrote:
exojam wrote:Cannot believe he busted you like that. I thought it was crazy how he kept sniffing at the root (or fallen tree) and than picks his head right up to you. I figured it was over at that point and time.


Thats part of the reason I wanted to make this show segment... I think lots of people get into that situation. Its fairly common. Look at the video PredatorTC posted of that 140 class coming in and him having to decide whether or not to shoot... He made the right decision. But, its easy to to make a regrettable decision under the stress of having that buck that close and the fear of loosing it.
Most guys who have knocked a few good bucks down have learned the lesson of waiting for the right shot despite the chance of the buck getting away thru the school of hard knocks and having taken a bad shot or two... I am no exception. There have been a few arrows I really wished I could take back... Hopefully shows like this one will help people realize it ain't necessarily over cause the deer busted you. And patience is far better than killing but not finding a big buck.



WOW! I just had time to watch the show and I think you touched on every point and aspect of my hunt from last Friday. The whole picking your shots part was interesting as well. I don't know what I could have done differently last Friday but it eats me up every hour of every day. I can defiantly take some things away from this show or in the future. I thought that the 140 stopped to look for girls, but now as you mentioned, He was licking his nose and smelling my scent pool. So when he bolted he wasn't running off to find girls, he was scared crapless. When I bleated at him he sped up. I wonder if I would not have done that it he would have slowed down enough for a nice quartering away shot a few steps after his initial bolt...

This was the smallest buck on any episode but I don't care. This is my favorite episode!


Im glad you liked the show... I agree, that deer had you, thats why he was licking his nose, and your right, the bleating probably scared him more and might, or might not have kept him going rather than giving you that classic stop and look back shot. Maybe we can pick your video clip apart on one of the future shows, it would demonstrate some good examples.
User avatar
PredatorTC
ProStaff
Posts: 2315
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:50 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Episode 5 is airing - The second chance buck

Postby PredatorTC » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:06 am

dan wrote:
PredatorTC wrote:
dan wrote:
exojam wrote:Cannot believe he busted you like that. I thought it was crazy how he kept sniffing at the root (or fallen tree) and than picks his head right up to you. I figured it was over at that point and time.


Thats part of the reason I wanted to make this show segment... I think lots of people get into that situation. Its fairly common. Look at the video PredatorTC posted of that 140 class coming in and him having to decide whether or not to shoot... He made the right decision. But, its easy to to make a regrettable decision under the stress of having that buck that close and the fear of loosing it.
Most guys who have knocked a few good bucks down have learned the lesson of waiting for the right shot despite the chance of the buck getting away thru the school of hard knocks and having taken a bad shot or two... I am no exception. There have been a few arrows I really wished I could take back... Hopefully shows like this one will help people realize it ain't necessarily over cause the deer busted you. And patience is far better than killing but not finding a big buck.



WOW! I just had time to watch the show and I think you touched on every point and aspect of my hunt from last Friday. The whole picking your shots part was interesting as well. I don't know what I could have done differently last Friday but it eats me up every hour of every day. I can defiantly take some things away from this show or in the future. I thought that the 140 stopped to look for girls, but now as you mentioned, He was licking his nose and smelling my scent pool. So when he bolted he wasn't running off to find girls, he was scared crapless. When I bleated at him he sped up. I wonder if I would not have done that it he would have slowed down enough for a nice quartering away shot a few steps after his initial bolt...

This was the smallest buck on any episode but I don't care. This is my favorite episode!



Im glad you liked the show... I agree, that deer had you, thats why he was licking his nose, and your right, the bleating probably scared him more and might, or might not have kept him going rather than giving you that classic stop and look back shot. Maybe we can pick your video clip apart on one of the future shows, it would demonstrate some good examples.



Yes, use it! There is a lot to learn from that hunt.
User avatar
dennism
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:22 pm
Location: S.E. Michigan
Status: Offline

Re: Episode 5 is airing - The second chance buck

Postby dennism » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:12 am

Great video! I wish I would of seen it before I went to Kentucky to hunt with a good friend. There was hills there but only like 150' rise in elevation. Is that high enough to create a tunnel?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
User avatar
dan
Site Owner
Posts: 31757
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Online

Re: Episode 5 is airing - The second chance buck

Postby dan » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:16 am

dennism wrote:Great video! I wish I would of seen it before I went to Kentucky to hunt with a good friend. There was hills there but only like 150' rise in elevation. Is that high enough to create a tunnel?

[ Post made via Android ] Image


Yes! I see bucks running ridges ( and bedding ) in "flat" ground ridges that are only 10 foot elevations...

Return to “Extreme Whitetail Tactics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest