Episode 5 is airing - The second chance buck

• Advertisement

HB Store

dan jr
Site Admin

Episode 5 is airing - The second chance buck

Unread postby dan jr » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:51 am

[bbvideo=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmLdls0FBMc&feature=youtu.be[/bbvideo]

Ted Nugent wrote:Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians--except for the occasional mountain lion steak.

If God wanted us to be vegetarians, he would have made broccoli a lot more fun to hunt!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Episode 5 is airing - The second chance buck

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:15 am

Sooo... What you guys think? Good show? Any surprises? Learn anything? Comments?
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:51 am

As always I enjoyed the show. I like how you show the map and explain it and your stand site selection. Wish I was more versed in reading and understanding them. Was this hunt solely cyber-scouted with you never being there? I think that is pretty cool if that is the case, certainly shows some of the skills you possess. Maybe something some find "easy" but I have a hard time reading a topo and visualizing the actual ground. Just something that comes with practice I guess. Nice job on another show Dan!
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:56 am

I still dont know where to find the new hunting shows...Ill look back later.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:04 am

crankn101 wrote:I still dont know where to find the new hunting shows...Ill look back later.

Click the HB/TV button
MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Unread postby MN Legacy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:23 am

Nice show Dan. I liked it and learned a few things from this to. Well I tend to hunt more swampy stuff and River bottom stuff my self. I really liked the map and how you explained the wind tunnel and how you would hunt the lee ward side of a hill. I think if I ever hunted hill country I thing I could put my self on some deer. This is how every show should do it.
moosehound

Unread postby moosehound » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:52 am

Another great show! Love HBTV. 8-)
I hunt whitetails all year long.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:55 am

8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:57 am

One thing I've noticed in them all, are the pauses and cuts you take to clarify what you're going to explain in the intro. I don't know if this is intended but it seems more script rather than free flowing but it doesnt bug me if that could help?..

I've bought your other episodes and they're clear so I think that would take care of what I thought was a blurry topo. I liked the illustration of the wind tunnel with the big buck bedded :D

I can't remember if you mentioned it or not, but do you remember if you could feel strong thermals on your face with the sunny conditions you had? Wind speed? Looked like maybe the sun was already up for a longer period of time? What time of day did you shoot him?

Another great episode and tip!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:12 am

Beason wrote:One thing I've noticed in them all, are the pauses and cuts you take to clarify what you're going to explain in the intro. I don't know if this is intended but it seems more script rather than free flowing but it doesnt bug me if that could help?..

I've bought your other episodes and they're clear so I think that would take care of what I thought was a blurry topo. I liked the illustration of the wind tunnel with the big buck bedded :D

I can't remember if you mentioned it or not, but do you remember if you could feel strong thermals on your face with the sunny conditions you had? Wind speed? Looked like maybe the sun was already up for a longer period of time? What time of day did you shoot him?

Another great episode and tip!

That was an evening kill... If memory serves me correctly it was calm with a light breeze.
Im not good at rehearsing material and there were certain statements I wanted to make. I speak better just answering questions, and in this case I was alone trying to talk to a camera and remember key points... I never worry much about cuts and such, I think the points that need to be made are much more important.
As far as the wind tunnel illustration, That was certainly one of my finest pieces of artwork :D
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:25 am

Enjoy HBTV very much! Was that kill last year? The segment on stopping deer (with video proof of possible spooking) was interesting. If I didn't stop my deer this year, I wouldn't have killed him, but like you said every scenario is different. The last two prior bucks I did not stop.

Good show.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:52 am

Cannot believe he busted you like that. I thought it was crazy how he kept sniffing at the root (or fallen tree) and than picks his head right up to you. I figured it was over at that point and time.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:57 am

I enjoy the HBTV episodes, and this one was good as well. I try to always take away something from your shows.

In this particular show, I had the EXACT same thing happen to me 2 years ago. I had a nice 136" ten point come to my tree. However when he picked up my scent pool, directly under my feet, and he darted out to 44 yards. I didn't get an arrow in him.

He did make it to one of my friends stand and got shot, that's how I knew what he scored :lol:

But it was my inexperience with the scent pool, and me trying to get drawn to cause me to not be able to shoot him.

Thanks for the HBTV shows!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:37 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:Enjoy HBTV very much! Was that kill last year? The segment on stopping deer (with video proof of possible spooking) was interesting. If I didn't stop my deer this year, I wouldn't have killed him, but like you said every scenario is different. The last two prior bucks I did not stop.

Good show.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

That hunt was two years ago...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:46 pm

exojam wrote:Cannot believe he busted you like that. I thought it was crazy how he kept sniffing at the root (or fallen tree) and than picks his head right up to you. I figured it was over at that point and time.

Thats part of the reason I wanted to make this show segment... I think lots of people get into that situation. Its fairly common. Look at the video PredatorTC posted of that 140 class coming in and him having to decide whether or not to shoot... He made the right decision. But, its easy to to make a regrettable decision under the stress of having that buck that close and the fear of loosing it.
Most guys who have knocked a few good bucks down have learned the lesson of waiting for the right shot despite the chance of the buck getting away thru the school of hard knocks and having taken a bad shot or two... I am no exception. There have been a few arrows I really wished I could take back... Hopefully shows like this one will help people realize it ain't necessarily over cause the deer busted you. And patience is far better than killing but not finding a big buck.

• Advertisement

Return to “Extreme Whitetail Tactics”