Episode 5 is airing - The second chance buck

• Advertisement

HB Store

Crazinamatese

Re: Episode 5 is airing - The second chance buck

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:47 pm

I learned about the wind tunnel you explained and key elevations on that episode. Just off this site alone, I been fine tuning my hunts in hill country and learning about the "leeward sides" as of recently. Lastnight's doe kill was due to a large part of reading about hunting in windy conditions in hill country and led to a successful hunt with a doe kill and witnessing some rut action yesterday. Funny thing is, I went to register my deer lastnight and some guys at the bar saying it was "too windy" to be hunting. I was the only one hunting a 200 acre MFL piece yesterday and I believe a big reason for that is because most hunters do not know how to hunt deer in windy conditions. Kinda went on a rant there, sorry.

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:51 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:I learned about the wind tunnel you explained and key elevations on that episode. Just off this site alone, I been fine tuning my hunts in hill country and learning about the "leeward sides" as of recently. Lastnight's doe kill was due to a large part of reading about hunting in windy conditions in hill country and led to a successful hunt with a doe kill and witnessing some rut action yesterday. Funny thing is, I went to register my deer lastnight and some guys at the bar saying it was "too windy" to be hunting. I was the only one hunting a 200 acre MFL piece yesterday and I believe a big reason for that is because most hunters do not know how to hunt deer in windy conditions. Kinda went on a rant there, sorry.

Good rant 8-)
There is no such thing as bad conditions for hunting, there is just bad hunters who don't adapt to what the weather, moon, or time of year is causing deer to do...
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:04 pm

dan wrote: There is no such thing as bad conditions for hunting, there is just bad hunters who don't adapt to what the weather, moon, or time of year is causing deer to do...

Great video as always Dan. The above is so easy to default excuses with and although Mother Nature can ruin or tax a hunt.....the right mind and skill set always prevails.

Keep up the good work and videos! Very appreciated and always walking away with lesson, two or twenty
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
CMBOSTC
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/CMBrumfi ... 3950568191

Unread postby CMBOSTC » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:22 pm

Good hunt Dan! Felt like I was in the tree.

-Chris
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:42 pm

8-)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
jelmore

Unread postby jelmore » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:10 pm

Great video Dan. Id rather watch one of those videos than 10 of the other hunting channel shows. your (and other beast members) unselfishness in sharing your secrets really amazes me. you should charge money to join this site, of course current members should be exempt ;) . but seriously you all teach some valuable stuff on this site. thanks again.
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:49 pm

More gold! Thanks for sharing
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:49 am

Great episode Dan. I thought the comments about stopping deer were a good reminder to people. Only time I try to stop deer is when I am using a firearm. Great job, keep up the good work!
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:51 am

I really enjoyed the episode. Its encouraging to see you get into deer (bucks) like that with no prior boots on ground scouting.

You said there was a buck coming in after you shot yours, how big was he?
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:15 am

ozzz wrote:I really enjoyed the episode. Its encouraging to see you get into deer (bucks) like that with no prior boots on ground scouting.

140+ it made me regret taking the shot on the smaller buck.
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:23 am

dan wrote:
ozzz wrote:I really enjoyed the episode. Its encouraging to see you get into deer (bucks) like that with no prior boots on ground scouting.

140+ it made me regret taking the shot on the smaller buck.

Wow. You had your mind made up going in.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Dougie

Unread postby Dougie » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:43 am

Great show Dan. Thank you for your insights and your method of planning the hunt. I've only been hunting for a few years and I get more out that 25 minutes than I have a whole season of some hunting shows.
I have a question, when you're planning your public land hunts, do you have any knowledge of how hard a public piece of land has been hunted? For example, there could have been a bunch of traffic and hunters there for days on end before you hunted there, blowing deer off that site. Is this just the chance you take, or do you try to find areas remote enough where the odds are in your favor that the land is hunted very heavily?
Dougie

Unread postby Dougie » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:07 am

Hey Dan,
Is it possible to go back and view older episodes? If so, how do you go about doing it. Thanks.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:07 am

Dougie wrote:Great show Dan. Thank you for your insights and your method of planning the hunt. I've only been hunting for a few years and I get more out that 25 minutes than I have a whole season of some hunting shows.
I have a question, when you're planning your public land hunts, do you have any knowledge of how hard a public piece of land has been hunted? For example, there could have been a bunch of traffic and hunters there for days on end before you hunted there, blowing deer off that site. Is this just the chance you take, or do you try to find areas remote enough where the odds are in your favor that the land is hunted very heavily?

If you listened close, at the start I said I sought out public properties that were not well known, and are far from towns or citys. This particular property was attractive cause even though its a pretty large parcel, there is not a parking spot.
I also usually have back up properties in the same areas.
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:19 am

I liked this episode. I have a few places with funnels like that. Those short ridges like a "hogback" can be tough because in my area the prevailing wind will be blocked by another mountain on the other side. The elevation on the topo looked a bit higher than what I normally see in your post or comments. Is there any reason on this. It really showed the Leeward side of the mountain idea, and give you a bit better understanding than that of the hill country bucks dvd.

I liked seeing the mountains in the back ground of the recovery footage as well. I didn't know Wisconsin had high mountains like that.

I have a video of a buck from this year that entered that scent pool just as yours did. I will share as well. He was just a little guy but the wind was blowing directly at me. You can see in the video he makes it just to the base of my tree and about a 3yrd circle around my tree there is the pool of scent. I did not move or anything that should have alarmed this little buck but he definetly caught that scent pool. I had a doe do the same thing on the first day of the year. I had to set up really close to the main trail because there were no other trees. I could have smoked him 10 times but just wanted to hold out for a nicer buck.

http://youtu.be/BrE71iSbQhs

I thought the buck may have heard something of my coat but the wind and rain eliminated that theory. I think you are spot on with the pool of scent and the rain put my scent right at the bottom of the tree. GOOD POINT! I never thought of that scenario, but I feel that is exactly what happened with this little guy. This was the only tree that I could climb and could only climb up it about 12'. Makes it tough when they get that close. I was in an oak tree and never thought that the deer would come right under me to eat the acorns. There is a heavy trail right in front of me and I assumed they would just stick to the trail. Boy was I wrong.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Extreme Whitetail Tactics”