HB Store

browning3

Re: Episode 5 is airing - The second chance buck

Unread postby browning3 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:53 am

Good Stuff! Especially liked the NRA hat and the sidearm. :D

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:19 am

Thanks dan i thoroughly enjoyed the show. The biggest thing i picked up is how to spot a funnel using topographical features. I find it very easy to spot funnels in ag land based on cover features (narrow strip of timber through ag field) but i have been working on trying to spot them better using terrain features which i think is a more valueable skill and can be more universally used in big woods and hill country. Thanks again! Will these episodes be available for purchase some day?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:20 am

hunter_mike wrote:Thanks dan i thoroughly enjoyed the show. The biggest thing i picked up is how to spot a funnel using topographical features. I find it very easy to spot funnels in ag land based on cover features (narrow strip of timber through ag field) but i have been working on trying to spot them better using terrain features which i think is a more valueable skill and can be more universally used in big woods and hill country. Thanks again! Will these episodes be available for purchase some day?

Yes.. The 1st 3 shows are available in the store now. Next show will release the second disc.

Its only $5 for the video disc of the 1st 3 shows and the quality is much better than on the computer of coarse.

Here is a link to but it:
shop/product.php?id_product=44
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:16 am

dan wrote:
hunter_mike wrote:Thanks dan i thoroughly enjoyed the show. The biggest thing i picked up is how to spot a funnel using topographical features. I find it very easy to spot funnels in ag land based on cover features (narrow strip of timber through ag field) but i have been working on trying to spot them better using terrain features which i think is a more valueable skill and can be more universally used in big woods and hill country. Thanks again! Will these episodes be available for purchase some day?

Yes.. The 1st 3 shows are available in the store now. Next show will release the second disc.

Its only $5 for the video disc of the 1st 3 shows and the quality is much better than on the computer of coarse.

Here is a link to but it:
shop/product.php?id_product=44

I bought that one already but I think a couple episodes that have been on the website were not on that dvd. I can't wait for the second disc!
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:10 pm

I bought that one already but I think a couple episodes that have been on the website were not on that dvd. I can't wait for the second disc!

One more episode and we will release another video disc.
fred bear

Unread postby fred bear » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:47 am

great video as always! :clap: was that like a pet coon or something? that was so awesome, i honestly cant get over that he was eating from your hand/mouth :shock: most coons i see in the woods get the out of dodge when they see me!
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:00 am

fred bear wrote:great video as always! :clap: was that like a pet coon or something? that was so awesome, i honestly cant get over that he was eating from your hand/mouth :shock: most coons i see in the woods get the out of dodge when they see me!

The coon eating the cookie is a wild coon, but he was a friend of mine :lol: The one that pee'd on me I had never seen before or after.
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:46 am

Finally was able to watch the show. I have watched the hill country video and have recently been trying to apply some of the tactics on land I have access to hunt. I now pay attention to the travel routes on the ridges in relationship to the predominant wind. Again it makes the hunts more interesting and brings a new dynamic to the set-ups.

The information and example of scouting by TOPO is invaluable. Being able to pin point a key area in a new piece of property saves a lot of time, and I feel tips some of the odds in my favor. The approach to the spot to hunt was also interesting because it showed how important it to avoid cutting the trail or area you plan on hunting with your scent as you enter.

Your point on proximity to trails rang home with me because I have found myself in this same scenario before. You go in and find sign or converging trails. To a fault I have found myself picking trees too close to the trail I feel the deer will travel on. Two years ago this cost me a shot at a 10 pointer because the deer approached and took the trail right under my stand. He was alerted and knew something was up similar to the buck in episode 5. And as he was moving out of range I attempted to stop him which resulted in him bolting into the thicket :cry: I always try to think of that hunt when selecting my stand position and distance from the trail... good lessons to learn.

The follow up shot was classic :lol: but also an important lesson to stay focused even after a miss... the game might not be up.

Overall great video and good advice that the common man can understand and repeat!
grangger

Unread postby grangger » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:42 am

Great informative video! I always wondered what my scent is doing right under my stand. thx,Dan
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:12 am

that was a good video. I always learn something after watching them a couple of times. I like the part about the map tutorial. That was real interesting.
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:14 am

dan wrote:
fred bear wrote:great video as always! :clap: was that like a pet coon or something? that was so awesome, i honestly cant get over that he was eating from your hand/mouth :shock: most coons i see in the woods get the out of dodge when they see me!

The coon eating the cookie is a wild coon, but he was a friend of mine :lol: The one that pee'd on me I had never seen before or after.

My spouse did not think it was right for you to be feeding a wild raccoon. I thought it was great. The one that pee'd on you, now that was funny. :lol:
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:11 pm

I always try to think of that hunt when selecting my stand position and distance from the trail... good lessons to learn.

This is a very important lesson many miss picking up on... Recognizing why you fail and fixing the problem. Thanks for pointing that out.
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:49 am

Dan, I liked the video and your map reminds me of a spot I hunt in hill country. The saddle and shape of the hollows are almost identical. I'm set up at the blue dot. I did see deer come through the saddle on my first hunt; I plan to go back soon. Do you feel that’s a good spot for rut cruising?

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:54 am

oneflag wrote:Dan, I liked the video and your map reminds me of a spot I hunt in hill country. The saddle and shape of the hollows are almost identical. I'm set up at the blue dot. I did see deer come through the saddle on my first hunt; I plan to go back soon. Do you feel that’s a good spot for rut cruising?

Yes and no... Your blue dot looks to be on the top of the hill... On a common west wind I would be over the hill in the thermal tunnel. Then yep. Looks like a great spot.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:46 pm

Couple things I noticed and was confused on Dan. The topo shows the wooded areas in green? If so, I dont see the ridge connecting two wooded areas? You walked up the draw, did that deer get to your entrance trail at all? Did you walk up the hill further and noticed deer werent crossing higher due to the tangled stuff, or notice that from your stand? Watching the video it appeared to me that the buck came to a scrape and started to do a rub urination and thats when he noticed you. I agree with never knowing its over. I learned years ago when deer blows out, I draw my bow and follow him. Ive had them stop within bow range and if drawn you can get right on them and get the shot. If you have to draw, that is when they tend to notice the motion and bust you and take off.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt

• Advertisement

Return to “Extreme Whitetail Tactics”