Episode 5 is airing - The second chance buck

• Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Episode 5 is airing - The second chance buck

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:42 pm

The topo shows the wooded areas in green? If so, I dont see the ridge connecting two wooded areas?

The green on that map if I remember correctly is showing the public land, but I would have to go back and watch it to know for sure... I was using a terrain map, not a topo.
As far as the ridge connecting to "wooded areas" That is not what I was saying at all... That ridge was the only ridge connecting to areas of bedding ridges. Ridges are like roads for deer during the rut. If the buck wants to look for does at the budding points on either side he will most likely go thru on the leeward side of that ridge rather than thru the bottom.

You walked up the draw, did that deer get to your entrance trail at all?
I walked straight up the draw till I started seeing the cruising sign. I purposely go slow and look ahead so I don't go beyond where I want to set up Deer travel mostly along the ridge, not at angles so my path is straight up ( or straight down) to the right elevation and once the tree is picked I try to walk in a way so that I can shoot any deer that crosses and locks on my scent. Yes, from ground and air it was very apparent that deer would likely not pass thru above me at that location.

Watching the video it appeared to me that the buck came to a scrape and started to do a rub urination and thats when he noticed you.

I don't think so... There was no scrape there, and to me, he expressed the classic signs of catching my scent. Not sure if I said it in the video, but since I was set up to shoot forward, I was sticking out like a sore thumb from the trail he came from.

kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:42 pm

OK, that explains the connecting woodlots I thought I heard and why the map doesnt show green for woods.
When I see that deer come in, he does the "tail wag", its ok sign multiple times. At 7.23 he puts his nose in a scrape, not a classic tore up one. Only real que to me is when he walks over it and watch his hips rear up and side to side motion for the rub urination. Video is so cool.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:01 am

Silly deer. He should have known the deer killer was around. :lol:
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:57 pm

Another informative show. I remember that buck now.

When I first started watching, and I cant believe I am going to say this after all the crap I gave you in the past about long hair, I started thinking you need some hair.

Then the hunt started and there was the BBSK. Someone else mentioned your NRA hat, you had a plethora of hats, that was an orginal "Strap it ON" Hat you shot the buck in. Lets see who remembers that.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:02 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:Another informative show. I remember that buck now.

When I first started watching, and I cant believe I am going to say this after all the crap I gave you in the past about long hair, I started thinking you need some hair.

Then the hunt started and there was the BBSK. Someone else mentioned your NRA hat, you had a plethora of hats, that was an orginal "Strap it ON" Hat you shot the buck in. Lets see who remembers that.

Been looking for that strap it on hat... One of my favorites, I know its around here somewhere. 8-)
ptac06

Unread postby ptac06 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:20 am

Could have sworn the first shot hit him...but seeing his behavior that followed convinced me it was a miss. Unbelievable!
TJS
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/travis.sweet.5

Unread postby TJS » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:27 pm

Good show. :clap:
When that big buck walks towards you this fall, concentrate on your breathing and get your eyes off his antlers.

TJS
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:27 am

The youtube version is now available for episode #5
[bbvideo=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmLdls0FBMc&feature=youtu.be[/bbvideo]
Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:32 pm

I love hbtv!!! Seriously show is great i always pick up little tips and tricks to take out into the field

[ Post made via Android ] Image
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:05 pm

I remember how helpful and eye-opening this was for me watching it for the first time last year. With rut coming down the pipe, this is awesome material to refresh on.
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo

• Advertisement

Return to “Extreme Whitetail Tactics”