Windy day Whitetail... HB/TV

• Advertisement

HB Store

Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Re: Windy day Whitetail... HB/TV

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:12 pm

Well done, Dan. You've got a solid friend to put you up on his land - looks dynamite :) I was in-tune the entire flick and left wanting more... Hurry on up and put out the next release!! Good stuff as usual 8-)

Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Unread postby Florida » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:33 pm

dan wrote:
BCam wrote:Cool video. Do you know how old he was?

2 or 3... Im leaning with 2 year old.

Good show Dan. During the video, I kept thinking, "what is he waiting for to shoot again?" Then I saw your arrow enter the frame and realized the issue. Great job being patient. I think the coolest part was seeing your relief/excitement when the buck was found.

Did Dave see any deer from his spot? What is your thought process on taking a likely 2.5 year old? (I'd have shot him too.) Best available buck? Also, it seems you hunt this property a little different than your traditional beast method, including planting a food plot staging area. Would you always do that on private land if conditions allowed it or is that Dave's deal?

Sorry to bombard you with questions. I am a sponge right now.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:55 pm

Well done Dan! :clap: :clap: I really enjoyed it, hard to believe he came back with a hole punched through him :lol:
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:03 pm

awesome :clap: Its nice to watch after the workshop. Im shocked that the second arrow didnt make him bleed more. I like the videos and cant wait for more
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:10 pm

backstraps wrote:Awesome job! I liked the setup and how you approached your stand site. Hard to get second chances like that. That probably is a testament that the deer had not been spooked around, and low pressured from Dave.

Was that an apple tree to your right? That's a cool little bonus to a staging area.

Something I was curious about.... the truck tracks through the CRP, did Dave drive that route through the field to funnel the deer to the staging area?

I have created "easy" walking to help a buck across fields like that before

Yes, thats a loaded apple tree... The bucks always staged there, even when the food plot was not there and there is a primary scrape under the apple tree.
The truck tracks are either from when we were back there working on the plots, or from retrieving a deer.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:16 pm

Florida wrote:
dan wrote:
BCam wrote:Cool video. Do you know how old he was?

2 or 3... Im leaning with 2 year old.

Good show Dan. During the video, I kept thinking, "what is he waiting for to shoot again?" Then I saw your arrow enter the frame and realized the issue. Great job being patient. I think the coolest part was seeing your relief/excitement when the buck was found.

Did Dave see any deer from his spot? What is your thought process on taking a likely 2.5 year old? (I'd have shot him too.) Best available buck? Also, it seems you hunt this property a little different than your traditional beast method, including planting a food plot staging area. Would you always do that on private land if conditions allowed it or is that Dave's deal?

Sorry to bombard you with questions. I am a sponge right now.

Dave did not see any deer that day. Its a low population area, and few bucks make it to 2 years old. When I shot it, I thought it was 3, not that it would of mattered.
As far as the way I hunt the property, when you have control of the property its in your best interest to make the most of that property. Still beast style in my opinion, still set up on the bedding, just able to enhance the food and property and control pressure. My set up would of been in the same spot if it was public without the food plot.
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:50 am

That was a suicidal deer.

Deers mistake
1. Came to where Dan was hunting.
2. Was shot with a pass through first.
3. Came back for more food (must have had a foggy brain or something).
4. Shot again at a shorter distance.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:40 am

PredatorTC wrote:
Stanley wrote:
HoosierG5 wrote:Great show. Hard to believe the first hit went thru like that and came right back. If you didnt have it on film I might have 2nd guessed you:)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

If I had to reason why, I would say the heavy wind was a factor in that also.

I was thinking the same thing. The deer was probably unsure what it heard and just like a sharp knife, it can take time to feel the pain if its a clean cut.

By far the best episode so far!

I'm sure get stung by Bee's too - that is how I equate it at least :mrgreen:

It's like slicing your finger good & deep - doesn't really seem to hurt much until you spread the wound.
Although the brisket had a good hole through it, so I would of guessed he would have bolted - go figure...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:17 am

Good stuff all around.
"In the deed, the glory"
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:18 pm

Enjoyed the show Dan! Cannot believe he came back for a 2nd shot! :twisted:
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:18 am

Great episode! Makes perfect sense that the utilize more than one of their senses.
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:01 pm

Great hunt... Impressed once again with the setup on this deer and the fact the you only accessed the killzone when you know the buck was working the area. Good lesson to be learned on this one after having a long trip back from Iowa where you fell short on finding the target buck but you got back in the saddle and made it happen.

rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:04 am

Interesting that buck came back. I guess Dave was right on what he called him! Everyone was right that it was cool to see an actual hunt on that property that was part of the workshop. Thanks for sharing.

I used to drive thru a CRP field to hang stands and found out quickly that deer would take the path of least resistance across the field walking in the tracks where the grass was laid down. I did not hunt the edge of this field often, but my gun hunting buddies every year had success taking deer walking across that field in those tracks.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:59 pm

Finally had a chance to watch this episode. Great job! 8-)

Cannot believe that buck came back for a second shot. Gotta be the dumbest deer I have ever seen! :lol:
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:38 am

I watched it yesterday and liked it. I too think the high wind had something to do with the deer giving a second chance.

Just like dan was getting beat silly by that wind, I think that high wind clouded his senses a bit. Which shows why a windy day could be a good day to go.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Extreme Whitetail Tactics”