Update on my first season of hunting buck beds

• Advertisement

HB Store

HBright78

Update on my first season of hunting buck beds

Unread postby HBright78 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:52 am

I wanted to provide an update one month into this new to me hunting strategy of hunting mature buck beds (mostly on public land). I welcome and appreciate any insight, feedback, and comments.

As with most seasons, I have not been able to hunt as much as I would like in the early season especially considering the hot weather. I have been out 6 times, all evening hunts.

As I knew would be the case, I have seen significantly fewer deer and I am ok with that. I had one hunt that I saw 2 bucks, one decent 8 that I was not interested in shooting and the other was a big bodied deer that I could not see well enough at closing time to see, but I suspect he was a 10 pt shooter that I have scouted.

I am also using my new tree saddle hunting system this year which allows me to scout my way to virtually any tree and hunt fresh sign. I was able to do this last night and found a great mature buck bedding area which is another victory and great opportunity to go back in a few weeks with a solid game plan.

I have also incorporated milkweed into my and what a valuable tool that has been. Its incredible to see that thermal shift after the sun goes down. The wind vs thermal understanding is critical to our success.

In South Central MO where I hunt, I do not see as consistent leeward point bedding in this hill country as Dan and some suggest, but I am still learning. In fact, I see quite a bit of bucks bedded in bottoms. Insight here is appreciated.

Thanks for reading my progress.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Update on my first season of hunting buck beds

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:02 pm

HBright78 wrote:I wanted to provide an update one month into this new to me hunting strategy of hunting mature buck beds (mostly on public land). I welcome and appreciate any insight, feedback, and comments.

As with most seasons, I have not been able to hunt as much as I would like in the early season especially considering the hot weather. I have been out 6 times, all evening hunts.

As I knew would be the case, I have seen significantly fewer deer and I am ok with that. I had one hunt that I saw 2 bucks, one decent 8 that I was not interested in shooting and the other was a big bodied deer that I could not see well enough at closing time to see, but I suspect he was a 10 pt shooter that I have scouted.

I am also using my new tree saddle hunting system this year which allows me to scout my way to virtually any tree and hunt fresh sign. I was able to do this last night and found a great mature buck bedding area which is another victory and great opportunity to go back in a few weeks with a solid game plan.

I have also incorporated milkweed into my and what a valuable tool that has been. Its incredible to see that thermal shift after the sun goes down. The wind vs thermal understanding is critical to our success.

In South Central MO where I hunt, I do not see as consistent leeward point bedding in this hill country as Dan and some suggest, but I am still learning. In fact, I see quite a bit of bucks bedded in bottoms. Insight here is appreciated.

Cool update- keep after it. If there is a tremendous advantage for the bucks to bed in the bottoms (and many times there are), they will certainly bed there.

Regarding the leeward points, many factors can screw them up for bedding... easy predator access, hunting pressure, etc.
Bucks don't always bed on obvious, leeward points. Small outcroppings and shelves can contain buck bedding and they aren't obvious on topo maps.

It sounds like you have a good grip of your area... sign doesn't lie.
HBright78

Re: Update on my first season of hunting buck beds

Unread postby HBright78 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:56 am

Singing Bridge wrote:
HBright78 wrote:I wanted to provide an update one month into this new to me hunting strategy of hunting mature buck beds (mostly on public land). I welcome and appreciate any insight, feedback, and comments.

Cool update- keep after it. If there is a tremendous advantage for the bucks to bed in the bottoms (and many times there are), they will certainly bed there.

Regarding the leeward points, many factors can screw them up for bedding... easy predator access, hunting pressure, etc.
Bucks don't always bed on obvious, leeward points. Small outcroppings and shelves can contain buck bedding and they aren't obvious on topo maps.

It sounds like you have a good grip of your area... sign doesn't lie.

Thanks Scott. I've been a few more times since that post and I am definitely fine-tuning the system of hunting buck bedding and hunting with my saddle/sticks.

I use 3 LW climbing sticks all with aiders and all wrapped in stealth wrap. I also wrapped all of my metal components of my saddle system and ratchet on ring of steps. I like the confidence of feeling like a silent assassin in the woods lol. I can get 25' up with 3 sticks and aiders and it beats carrying 4 or even 5.

Now, if the buck activity would cooperate! I am just not seeing it and I am hunting diverse landscapes in several different areas.

Yesterday, I woke up at 3am, showered, drove to public lot, packed up bike/buggy, rode 2 miles to river, undressed and waded river, dressed, walked to known tree, and set-up saddles system as mentioned above with lights out at 5:45, an hour before dark. Saw nothing but does! I enjoy the process though and love extreme tactics. I hope your season is going well! Thanks for the feedback.

• Advertisement

Return to “Extreme Whitetail Tactics”