GREAT
69%
Did not watch
1%

Total votes: 121
BigHunt

Re: How do you like the show??? POLL

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:06 am

I found it pretty ironic that one of the few times Dan has ever hunted over a trail camera happens to be featured in the episode where he is teaching to not hunt over trailcams .

:lol: :lol: ya whats up wit dat

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Lastoneout

Unread postby Lastoneout » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:15 pm

I enjoyed the show Dan! Looking forward to more! The fact that it provided entertainment and a wealth of information really appeals to me as it does others I am sure.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:44 pm

bighunt wrote:
I found it pretty ironic that one of the few times Dan has ever hunted over a trail camera happens to be featured in the episode where he is teaching to not hunt over trailcams .

I'll take a shot at this one, A good hunter or maybe one that's just a bit more successful will take advantage of opertunities. I'm guessing Dan put the camera out there to do some scouting and saw the buck active during shooting hours and took advantage. The thing to remember about any tactic is there are no cut and dried rules. Not every deer reacts the same. hunting tactics are just a starting point that work to a certain degree. A good hunter will keep track of details and modify to each situation. I don't remember Dan saying not to hunt over cameras. I did hear him say not to put a camera where you intend to hunt. There is a huge difference.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:26 pm

magicman54494 wrote:I'll take a shot at this one, A good hunter or maybe one that's just a bit more successful will take advantage of opertunities. I'm guessing Dan put the camera out there to do some scouting and saw the buck active during shooting hours and took advantage. The thing to remember about any tactic is there are no cut and dried rules. Not every deer reacts the same. hunting tactics are just a starting point that work to a certain degree. A good hunter will keep track of details and modify to each situation. I don't remember Dan saying not to hunt over cameras. I did hear him say not to put a camera where you intend to hunt. There is a huge difference.

Yeah I know, and I understand the situation completely, and I wouldve done the same thing given the opportunity. I just found it funny that of all the hunts to feature or all the "lessons" to feature, those two got put together in the same episode. Kinda made me chuckle..

Hey Dan- Is each month's show going to feature some sort of "lesson" or tactic? Like a "this is how I would go about this situation" or "this is how I do this" and then have a hunt showing it in action?
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:17 pm

He explains it in the video itself. The buck showed up during daylight and the pics don't lie. That's why he hunted there assuming the bed he found held that deer. Or am I just retarded?
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:30 pm

jack_4mn wrote:He explains it in the video itself. The buck showed up during daylight and the pics don't lie. That's why he hunted there assuming the bed he found held that deer.

You're probably right. I tried to watch the show at the same time I was doing something else so I was just getting parts and pieces.

jack_4mn wrote:Or am I just retarded?

Now that's funny :lol:
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:37 pm

jack_4mn wrote:He explains it in the video itself. The buck showed up during daylight and the pics don't lie. That's why he hunted there assuming the bed he found held that deer. Or am I just retarded?

Haha no..thats exactly what he said.
Loud

Unread postby Loud » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:59 pm

Loved it Dan. I have been waiting for a show that shows the set up in preseason with camera work and set up and not to mention following the blood trail showing the arrow and explaining more about he hit. cant wait for the next show. good job Dan
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:46 pm

Looking good!!! ;) I also thought the tracking was a little much, but hey some people have never had to track a deer with a liver hit.
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:36 pm

As a whole I rated the show as good. I enjoyed watching someone recover an animal and not plug 20 sponsors. I also enjoyed the ariel views showing the deer movement before and after the shot. Some of the editing could have been better in my opinion. I seemed there was some confusion in the editing (while you were narrating it zoomed your picture way out) Once the editing gets cleaned up and the footage is in HD it will be really good. I would still watch these shows before most shows on the Outdoor or Sportsmans channel.
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:58 am

good stuff

the sound was not perfect (due to the mikes) and the video was not perfect but who really cares?? it is about hunting and learning how to hunt

I actually liked the longer tracking segment, shows what really goes on when hunting or tracking a wounded animal--nothing was faked which is rare today but a huge plus IMO

the intro sure sounded like ozzy :lol:

It was a great intro to the tactical based web shows...signed up for the email list and looking forward to future videos!!!
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:57 am

Here is how I see it.

QUALITY:

Deer hunting TV show being started on a shoestring budget.
Film and editing gear is whatever is readily available.......to those on a shoestring budget.

Hunting/tracking-recovery self filmed with equipment that is as stated.

Makes it hard to criticize audio/video content unless you want a show that sells out to the highest bidder for a sponser or is made by someone who is independently wealthy.

I do not think this shows producer qualifies in either case.

Show filmed in an ordinary enviroment that is similar to what is available to other hunters that do not want to "buy" their trophy, or do not have the funds to "buy" their trophy.

CONTENT:

Intro song, not my cup of tea, but I am OLD.... :lol:
Intro film clips.....very good.

Trail cam placement and use of info/strategy....very good.

Explination of stand placement....could use more info.

Hunt footage and mapping of buck movement toward stand.....very good.

Hunters description of shot placement....very honest.

Hunters reaction to shot.....real.

Tracking.....content was very good/informative.

Recovery.....very good with a honest hunter reaction.

Possum capture footage.......BEAST like stuff....would rather see deer clips similar to intro footage...maybe next show clips?

Overall I would rather see a show filmed and recorded with less than stellar equipment and that shows hunting on readily available ground than a "canned" hunt anyday.
But thats me. :D

I wish all those responsible for the video continued success and look foward to more...... :mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BONECRUSHER

Unread postby BONECRUSHER » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:17 pm

The begining was very educational with the topo, travel pattern, wind direction and BLAH BLAH BLAH......... you get the picture. Great videography for filming yourself aswell, a kill shot is a must :twisted: JUST SAYIN'. Just make em' longer, thats all I would like to see changed :lol: :lol: :lol:

GREAT JOB DAN....................Keep em' coming !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Scott Hill

Nose to the wind, Carbon to the cheek and finger on the trigger
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:25 pm

magicman54494 wrote:
bighunt wrote:

I'll take a shot at this one, A good hunter or maybe one that's just a bit more successful will take advantage of opertunities. I'm guessing Dan put the camera out there to do some scouting and saw the buck active during shooting hours and took advantage. The thing to remember about any tactic is there are no cut and dried rules. Not every deer reacts the same. hunting tactics are just a starting point that work to a certain degree. A good hunter will keep track of details and modify to each situation. I don't remember Dan saying not to hunt over cameras. I did hear him say not to put a camera where you intend to hunt. There is a huge difference.

gezzzz :roll: ill keep my mouth shut i was joking
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:14 pm

I think it was great, you should be very proud with this one.

It did sound like it hurt crossing the fence now that would of been funny to see that.

• Advertisement

Return to “Extreme Whitetail Tactics”