Community Beetles

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

LukeTM
Facebook: IG: Racks_and_Rivers

Community Beetles

Unread postby LukeTM » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:03 am

Hey crew,
I purchased a colony of Dermestid beetles that I have been growing. I’m about to dunk my 2019 buck skull into their cage and really don’t want them to be a one time use deal.

For anyone in Southern Wisconsin looking to do a European mount, let me know! Tell your friends.
I’m not looking to charge anything.

I hunt, I fish and I sing guitar solos in songs.
IG: Racks_and_Rivers
LukeTM

Re: Community Beetles

Unread postby LukeTM » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:27 pm

The beetles from the initial post here have officially served their purpose and now need a new home! I have a large tote with a screen lid wrapped in insulation. Lots of fresh bedding and pupating material. I also have two heat lamps. And, of course, the beetles themselves. I am willing to drive to hand off the cage and colony. I just don’t want them to go to waste!
ryanm

Unread postby ryanm » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:27 pm

Hi Luke, I have a few heads to feed them and was looking to do something with them this weekend ... I'm in Green Lake county, PM me?
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:18 pm

LukeTM wrote:The beetles from the initial post here have officially served their purpose and now need a new home! I have a large tote with a screen lid wrapped in insulation. Lots of fresh bedding and pupating material. I also have two heat lamps. And, of course, the beetles themselves. I am willing to drive to hand off the cage and colony. I just don’t want them to go to waste!

That's a heck of a nice gesture; hope you find your little "pets" a good home.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:36 pm

KRONIIK wrote:
LukeTM wrote:The beetles from the initial post here have officially served their purpose and now need a new home! I have a large tote with a screen lid wrapped in insulation. Lots of fresh bedding and pupating material. I also have two heat lamps. And, of course, the beetles themselves. I am willing to drive to hand off the cage and colony. I just don’t want them to go to waste!

Just curious, what do they eat besides buck heads?
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:19 pm

mheichelbech wrote:
KRONIIK wrote:

Everything on an animal that isn't bone, tooth, tusk or antler from what little I know about them.
I've heard that you don't want to let any escape in your house; they'll eat your taxidermy mounts, leather shoes, leather sofa, etc.
LukeTM

Unread postby LukeTM » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:34 am

KRONIIK wrote:
mheichelbech wrote:
KRONIIK wrote:

Everything on an animal that isn't bone, tooth, tusk or antler from what little I know about them.
I've heard that you don't want to let any escape in your house; they'll eat your taxidermy mounts, leather shoes, leather sofa, etc.

Yeah, pretty much spot on. I grew them with scraps from small game animals and freezer burned meat until they were ready to take on a head.

And yes, don’t let them escape. A few months before I purchased the colony I cursed this species as they had infested my fly tying material. I spent months attempting to eradicate them. Once I finally did, I ironically turned around and bought 300 more! :D
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:48 pm

LukeTM wrote:
KRONIIK wrote:
mheichelbech wrote:
KRONIIK wrote:

Yeah, pretty much spot on. I grew them with scraps from small game animals and freezer burned meat until they were ready to take on a head.

And yes, don’t let them escape. A few months before I purchased the colony I cursed this species as they had infested my fly tying material. I spent months attempting to eradicate them. Once I finally did, I ironically turned around and bought 300 more! :D

What do you feed them if you don’t have any of that? Do you buy cheap meat from the store or something?
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
LukeTM

Unread postby LukeTM » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:13 am

mheichelbech wrote:
LukeTM wrote:
KRONIIK wrote:
mheichelbech wrote:
KRONIIK wrote:

What do you feed them if you don’t have any of that? Do you buy cheap meat from the store or something?

Yeah, I suppose. I’ve heard of people use deli meat

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”