How to make a European mount

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Thermals
500 Club

Re: How to make a European mount

Unread postby Thermals » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:39 am

Best way is to let the beetles clean It then the skull needs to be degreased about a month in a soapy heated water then it needs to whitened with 40% peroxide. Then glue any teeth back in and restain the antler burrs. Boiling is the wrong way to do it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:55 am

Jeff G wrote:
justin84 wrote:I have always buried mine in the spring, dug up in the fall, and have always been impressed at how clean they come out. Literally no work necessary.

Problem with this is critters finding your skull and chewing your rack. Also sunlight will fade your antlers. by boiling it, you do not need to wait months to display your trophy.

Good points. I have been lucky and haven't had any issue with hungry critters. I was always told to bury the whole thing, antlers included, so maybe this has helped.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:58 am

Thermals wrote:Best way is to let the beetles clean It then the skull needs to be degreased about a month in a soapy heated water then it needs to whitened with 40% peroxide. Then glue any teeth back in and restain the antler burrs. Boiling is the wrong way to do it.

How many people of this forum do you think have a colony of beetles in there home for skull cleaning? not very realistic expectation for the average guy looking to do a euro. Boiling is not the wrong way to do it. its ANOTHER WAY TO DO IT.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:00 am

justin84 wrote:
Jeff G wrote:
justin84 wrote:I have always buried mine in the spring, dug up in the fall, and have always been impressed at how clean they come out. Literally no work necessary.

Problem with this is critters finding your skull and chewing your rack. Also sunlight will fade your antlers. by boiling it, you do not need to wait months to display your trophy.

Good points. I have been lucky and haven't had any issue with hungry critters. I was always told to bury the whole thing, antlers included, so maybe this has helped.

Good for you! Whatever way you feel comftoble in preserving your trophy/memories is the right way to do it. :D
I guess I just can't wait that long to get it on display :lol: :lol:
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:24 am

I just said that's the best way to have one done. I would also say simmer and not boil what be better

Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:29 am

Thermals wrote:I just said that's the best way to have one done. I would also say simmer and not boil what be better

we will cover the simmering portion. I agree that is the most important part in this method of creating a euro. Lots of guys over boil and they fall apart that way.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:36 am

Agreed jeff, i like the boiling methods, I cant wait months for a mount. I have personally started them on a saturday morning with a full head and had it hanging on the wall that same afternoon. (Mine dont look professionally white but they look dang good on the wall!) Looking forward to the rest of this thread
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:40 am

Scrape and simmer method works.

Just a hint - DO NOT Do It in Your Wife's Kitchen!!! :mrgreen:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:00 am

For you guys that would like to get it whiter. If you can degrease it. It will make a big difference, then go to a pool supply and get some BO it is stronger than the stuff from a Beaty supply but be where it will burn you.

Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:00 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Scrape and simmer method works.

:lol: :lol: or at least be done by the time she gets home :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:41 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Scrape and simmer method works.

10-4
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:45 am

I have done a couple of European mounts. I don't have beetles and the ground is frozen this time of year. I think the simmering water method is the best/fastest option for the average hunter like myself. Thanks for the information you are sharing.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:48 am

Stanley wrote:I have done a couple of European mounts. I don't have beetles and the ground is frozen this time of year. I think the simmering water method is the best/fastest option for the average hunter like myself. Thanks for the information you are sharing.

No problem, I will be finishing up the skull this weekend. I will post more of the photos then.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:52 am

Brad wrote:Keep in mind if you have a large buck (3.5 or older generally), check with your local taxidermists before you go cutting into the cape, those capes are worth money and the real big 5.5 + can be worth several hundred in certain cases. I have heard some taxidermists will even trade a euro mount for the cape so do your research before ruining it. Great job so far Jeff!

I think most taxi guys will pay about $25.00 for a nice cape. Those Taxi guys do some scavenging at the local processors. I do agree keep the cape in tact just in case. My taxi guy charges $50.00 for a cape he has in reserve in case your is chewed by Yotes or green/rotten.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:38 am

Guys- let Jeff give the advice on how to do a euro... ;) He started this thread to show us how to do it, not the other way around. I do my own as well, but I'm going to at least wait until after he has finished his tutorial before I try to offer tips or ask questions. :D

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”