How to make a European mount

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swampbuck

Re: How to make a European mount

Unread postby Swampbuck » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:45 am

SamPotter wrote:Guys- let Jeff give the advice on how to do a euro... ;) He started this thread to show us how to do it, not the other way around. I do my own as well, but I'm going to at least wait until after he has finished his tutorial before I try to offer tips or ask questions. :D

I was thinking the same lol

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Make It Happen
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:19 am

Thank you. I promise I will get to it this weekend. This thing called a full time job is getting in the way :lol:
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:05 am

Here is my set up I use to "simmer" the skulls. It is a deep fry turkey burner. I think i bought it at Home Depot.

I put in a handful of soda ash and a squirt of dawn liquid dish soap (both help to degrease, the soda ash will turn flesh into a jelly consistency that slides off the skull with ease and also helps whiten).

This is what our skull looks like prior to putting into the hot water. You do not want a hard boil. You want it to be on the verge of boiling. if the skull is in boiling water for a long period it will become fragile. the nasal bones will bust out and it will begin to flake and the skull looses strength. you must monitor the skull ALWAYS while you are simmering it.

this is what it looks like after 1 hour of simmering. during the 1st hour I took it out every 10 minutes and scraped/picked at the flesh to loosen it up. I use a knife, wire brush and a small pick to get in crevasses.

the backside underneath the brain cavity is usually the most difficult. more areas that tissue connects to. keep picking, it will get loose. you can be aggressive with the wire brush!

our nasal bones are still intact!

time to change the water. get fresh hot water and throw in another handful of soda ash and some dawn soap. bring back to a simmer. put the skull back in. you can cover up the bottom of the antler burrs.

boil and pick away for another hour. you should be done with the boiling now.
take inside and wash/flush out the skull with hot water.

set aside to drip dry for a few minutes.

we will now whiten the skull. 2 chemicals are needed. Salon Care quick white (powder) and Salon Care 40 Volume clear. mix both together to form a consistency of pancake batter.

brush on the skull. make sure to get in every spot. do not get on antlers. it will bleach out a spot on the antler, so use care when going around the burrs.

when done coating, wrap the skull up tight in plastic wrap.

set in front of a small space heater on on your floor heating register. rotate every so often. keep the plastic wrap on for 2-3 days.

i will post the next steps in a couple days when the skull i am working on is ready.

give it a try, its not hard. its a great DIY job.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:19 am

here is a photo of the whitening products.

You can purchase the soda ash and whitening products at http://www.mckenziesp.com
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:21 am

186buck

Unread postby 186buck » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:35 am

Thanks for taking the time to show this. If I remember was this the head that the antlers fell off when dragging? Can you show how you put them back on?
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:41 am

SamPotter wrote:Guys- let Jeff give the advice on how to do a euro... ;) He started this thread to show us how to do it, not the other way around. I do my own as well, but I'm going to at least wait until after he has finished his tutorial before I try to offer tips or ask questions. :D

I only piped in to save marriages - LOL!

Thanks Jeff; it's a great thread and looking forward to the next step!!!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:54 am

Good stuff, thanks for sharing.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:22 am

186buck wrote:Thanks for taking the time to show this. If I remember was this the head that the antlers fell off when dragging? Can you show how you put them back on?

I will show how to put them back on.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:23 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:

I only piped in to save marriages - LOL!

Thanks Jeff; it's a great thread and looking forward to the next step!!!

Gotcha Ed! This is a great project to do in the kitchen, leaves a nice aroma! :lol: :lol:
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:50 pm

When I had my beetles, I built this "brain blaster" Make sure your foot is firmly on the skull, and your face is pointed away...Hook it to a hose, stick the copper tube in the brain hole, and hold on when you hit the valve!

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:11 pm

Jeff G wrote:
justin84 wrote:
Jeff G wrote:
justin84 wrote:I have always buried mine in the spring, dug up in the fall, and have always been impressed at how clean they come out. Literally no work necessary.

Problem with this is critters finding your skull and chewing your rack. Also sunlight will fade your antlers. by boiling it, you do not need to wait months to display your trophy.

Good points. I have been lucky and haven't had any issue with hungry critters. I was always told to bury the whole thing, antlers included, so maybe this has helped.

Good for you! Whatever way you feel comftoble in preserving your trophy/memories is the right way to do it. :D
I guess I just can't wait that long to get it on display :lol: :lol:

Dave has a 150 inch 8 point we found dead on a drive two years ago under a barrel at the farm... It still ain't done.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:15 pm

Spysar wrote:When I had my beetles, I built this "brain blaster" Make sure your foot is firmly on the skull, and your face is pointed away...Hook it to a hose, stick the copper tube in the brain hole, and hold on when you hit the valve!

Sure beats a clothes hanger..

Jeff, looking forward to seeing how you hook the antlers back on?
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:18 am

Spysar wrote:When I had my beetles, I built this "brain blaster" Make sure your foot is firmly on the skull, and your face is pointed away...Hook it to a hose, stick the copper tube in the brain hole, and hold on when you hit the valve!

Wow! that could be a messy job, but effective. When i simmer the skulls with the soda ash, I just take a small dental pick and knife and run it around in the hole. breaks up the brain a little, then i simmer it, and can usually shake out most of it.

I like your invention. :clap: :clap:
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:24 am

Daves horns are reattached, just have to remove the horns and whiten skull now. I drilled a hole in the horn on an angle and into the skull. Then I will epoxy. Then fill the counter sunk screw hole in. you will never know it was done. I will post pics later, just a little tedious work now.

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”