How to make a European mount

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jeff G
500 Club

Re: How to make a European mount

Unread postby Jeff G » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:25 am

hunter_mike wrote:Jeff, I noticed you said that you spray your euro mounts with a matte finish. Could you recommend a particular product? I have some older euro mounts, up to 10 years old that I would like to re-whiten and seal up with some type of finish to protect them for years to come. Do you spray the antlers and skull and everything or just the skull?

get it good and white, then spray just the skull with a coat of krylon matte finish. mostly it helps keep smudges and finger prints off it.

if you have some really old stuff and it has turned yellow over time or is stubborn you can get matte white and spray the skull. then it is nice and white and will stay that way forever. I''ve thought about doing that to some of mine.

leave the horns alone. they fade over time and if you want to add some color back in, put some dark walnut stain on a rag and lightly wipe then and then wipe it off right away and allow to dry to your liking.

hope that helps...

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:33 am

Jeff G wrote:
hope that helps...

Yep! Thanks 8-)

And glad I didnt spray anything on the antlers yet. Now thinking about what you said, that makes a lot of sense.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
msailor

Unread postby msailor » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:23 am

Jeff, I agreed to do a euro mount for a friend who lets me hunt his property. What he brought over was a dead head from about two years ago. Hide was like leather and the bone was discolored. I soaked the head to remove the hide but how do I get the discoloration (staining/oils) out of the bone? Using the whitening paste didn't work....
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:30 am

msailor wrote:Jeff, I agreed to do a euro mount for a friend who lets me hunt his property. What he brought over was a dead head from about two years ago. Hide was like leather and the bone was discolored. I soaked the head to remove the hide but how do I get the discoloration (staining/oils) out of the bone? Using the whitening paste didn't work....

boil it with the soda ash, that will help whiten it. then continue on whiting it like i do in the tutorial. make sure to use a small space heater, that helps whiten it. one key is to have the skull wet and hot before you put the whitening on it. never put it on a dry cold skull.

if it still is stained after that, spray paint it with a matte finish white and clear coat it.

i did a bear skull like that last year. white is white, doesn't matter how you get there on the stubborn old skulls.
Jed33

Unread postby Jed33 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:00 am

After the 2-3 days of the skull being wrapped up with seran wrap with whitening paste, then what? Just unwrap it and it's done, is there any residual whitening paste?
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:16 am

Jed33 wrote:After the 2-3 days of the skull being wrapped up with seran wrap with whitening paste, then what? Just unwrap it and it's done, is there any residual whitening paste?

washout off with hot water and place in front of a space heater. then its done. I put a rubber band around the muzzle of the skull so that it does not spread/split when drying. holds the seam together more. bones are soft when hot and wet.
Jed33

Unread postby Jed33 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:40 am

Jeff G wrote:
Jed33 wrote:After the 2-3 days of the skull being wrapped up with seran wrap with whitening paste, then what? Just unwrap it and it's done, is there any residual whitening paste?

washout off with hot water and place in front of a space heater. then its done. I put a rubber band around the muzzle of the skull so that it does not spread/split when drying. holds the seam together more. bones are soft when hot and wet.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”