How I did My Euro Mount.....Warning carcass pics

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Re: How I did My Euro Mount.....Warning carcass pics

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:50 am

Spysar wrote:OK then.

There is another method for you to try, which is one of the best for a quality skull. It's called maceration. It's a better method if the skull is already rotten.

You do it in the summer. Take a trash can and submerge the skull. Do this away from the house. It will stink. Bacteria will form in the warm months. Eventually the flesh will easily separate from the bone. Takes about 2 months. You can learn more about this on taxidermy.net in the skulls section. The one problem is the teeth may come loose, and the nose pieces, so when you dump the water, you might have to find the pieces and glue them back.

That is what I am trying on the one in the bucket. Would the trash can and more water be better or a trash can just to fit the size of the antlers in. Also with aeration would you need it aerated all day everyday or just cycle it from time to time. I will have to check out Taxidermy.net thanks for the heads up. I caught a lot of on another site because I didn't do it the "right" way. I just started playing with this stuff. My brothers is a pretty nice buck I have in the freezer waiting to be de-fleshed. I was waiting on it to see how the one in the bucket turned out to see if i liked that process better.

Tuf- The below average hunting beast
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:57 am

Constant aeration. Once you stop aeratio, oxygen will get consumed and you will eventually start to generate sulfides, mercaptans, and other stinkies.

Just to be clear on spy's post where he recommended summer. You need heat. Some guys use an aquarium heater to supplement heat in the cooler months.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:16 am

cool thanks for the heads up. I haven't been in a hurry to do my son's little spike prob should open it up and check it out after I take it down to the creek. Just curious is the skull itself going to smell from this process. I would think it would not after the peroxide baths, but I don't know. The one I did wasn't bad at all after the first dish soap simmer and every rinse simmer it got better then the peroxide seemed to kill all smell.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:35 am

It definitely has an odor even with aeration. Not much different than a wastewater treatment plant in odor and process.

I really like beetle work. It costs a little bit more and takes more time but there is a lot more detail. Seems like you lose less of flakelike bones with the beetles. At least the ones I've handled. Maceration us only slightly better than boiling IMHO.

Maceration...

Beetles...

Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:42 am

Check my tutorial out. Few hours and your done. I don't understand why guys burry them and take a chance at getting chewed up or disappearing.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:47 am

Jeff G wrote:Check my tutorial out. Few hours and your done. I don't understand why guys burry them and take a chance at getting chewed up or disappearing.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=28150&start=30

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:19 am

Nice.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:00 am

I do mine similar, but I bury them. Those big beetles always find them and the red ants too. I leave them in the ground a couple months and then dig them up, spray them off with the hose and toss them in a bucket:

I have one skull that was done professionally and one that I buried and sprayed with killz, you cannot tell which is which if you didn't know. The rest I just left the natural stained color, I actually like them better that way than the bleach white look.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:52 am

PK_ wrote:I do mine similar, but I bury them. Those big beetles always find them and the red ants too. I leave them in the ground a couple months and then dig them up, spray them off with the hose and toss them in a bucket:

I have one skull that was done professionally and one that I buried and sprayed with killz, you cannot tell which is which if you didn't know. The rest I just left the natural stained color, I actually like them better that way than the bleach white look.

Thats a nice stack of racks!
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:03 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Jeff G wrote:Check my tutorial out. Few hours and your done. I don't understand why guys burry them and take a chance at getting chewed up or disappearing.

http://thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.ph ... 0&start=30

Thanks for the link.....Jeff I like the plastic wrap during the whitening. I had trouble with it being uneven I think that might help a lot. I'm going to follow your method on my Brothers 8pt he asked me to do. then I'll have one buried, one dunked, and one simmered to figure out what works for me.

Like I said at the beginning of my post my I wasn't saying the way I did it was right wrong or indifferent. It is just the way I did it after watching a bunch of vids and reading different forums. For my first one I am happy with the way it came out. Truth be told the rack shrunk quite a bit between me pulling the trigger and climbing down to put my hands on it, but I am still very proud of it. I thought it was a different deer and made a snap judgement to pull the trigger. I was way more irritated with myself for taking a 2.5 year old year off the property.

I need to get a pic of my brothers 8pt up on here. That was an awesome hunt. Being with him for his first deer ever and to call the buck in for him was a blast.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:08 am

Good work! Anyway you get it clean works. Be proud, always satisfying doing it yourself :)

Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:20 am

Any thoughts on what makes the masceration process better than simmering? Get's more grease out?

I buried my first one, wasn't that impressed with it and the wait was too long. Since then I've always simmered and degreased with dawn and seems to work well and I can have it hanging on my wall in a day or two.

This year I traded a cape for a free beetle job from the taxi I usually use. That is my favorite option :D
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:37 am

Kraftd wrote:Any thoughts on what makes the masceration process better than simmering? Get's more grease out?

I buried my first one, wasn't that impressed with it and the wait was too long. Since then I've always simmered and degreased with dawn and seems to work well and I can have it hanging on my wall in a day or two.

This year I traded a cape for a free beetle job from the taxi I usually use. That is my favorite option :D

Maceration is easier on the small bones.

I've also done the cape trade. Its rarely advertised but many taxis consider it.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:12 pm

I figured I would update this since I pulled my son's spike out of the bucket. I didn't get any pics. I was just pre-occupied. One Note Maceration is awesome. The one side effect was the green algae that grew on the skull, but not one spec of tissue that I could find and I went over it good. I tried the salon peroxide and seran wraped it, but I didn't have near as much peroxide as I thought I had left. But it got it pretty white I got to do another run because I didn't do a very good job at getting the peroxide evenly spread on it. But it is coming along nicely. i'll try to get some pics together when I get back to it. I gotta get to working on the back board. My son wants a cedar backboard like the one I did earlier in the thread.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:30 am

Kraftd wrote:I buried my first one, wasn't that impressed with it and the wait was too long. Since then I've always simmered and degreased with dawn and seems to work well and I can have it hanging on my wall in a day or two.

I've boiled 3 in Dawn water, but they were fresh skulls.

I traded one cape to a taxi for a free beetle job. Something went wrong with his colony, the head rotted, he spray washed it to finish it but it stunk pretty bad. He soaked it with Febreeze to cut the smell, turned out fairly decent in the end. At least he made a nice wooden mount to display it on.

This year I buried my first one and I'm going to try that route. It was mostly cleaned up when buried, but stunk pretty bad. Figure a couple of months in the ground under a flipped over livestock tank should get it most of the way done. Hose it off when I dig it up and then throw some peroxide on it to whiten it up a bit.

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”