Question for taxidermists: how do I capture this look?

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

xpauliber
500 Club

Question for taxidermists: how do I capture this look?

Unread postby xpauliber » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:14 am

When I shot my buck in Ohio this year, I saw him walking down an edge extremely agitated. He had his ears pinned back, his eyes looked squinted, and he was walking stiff legged. I don't remember if his hide was bristled or not. I want to get him mounted as close to this look as I can get.

I picked out a pose very similar to this at my taxidermists:

I like the tilt of the head and how the ears are laid back, but it still doesn't capture that "ticked off" look that I remember seeing. I asked my taxidermist if he could squint the eyes to make him look more aggressive but he was adamant that "deer don't squint their eyes". I disagree but respect the fact that he wants to create the most anatomically correct mount since it's his work. I've been looking at pictures of bucks posturing and found this one where you can see the white at the back of his eyes and maybe that's what I'm trying to get at?

Do any of the taxidermists have suggestions for how I can capture that extremely aggressive/posturing pose for my mount?

cbay
500 Club

Re: Question for taxidermists: how do I capture this look?

Unread postby cbay » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:25 am

Did you show him the pic with the white of the eye showing? Ears are no problem, plenty of forms with head tilted down. I'm a novice at this but would still attempt to get the white of the eye showing if i wanted that particular look.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:33 am

The hardest part with that type of thing is to get it right. Sometimes, unless you have a super talented taxidermist, the extra outside of the box stuff comes out ....looking odd.

And I have seen deer squint there eyes...mostly when the bristle sideways approaching a decoy. Sometimes there eyes are wide open. Sometimes they squint. Sometimes that comes from when there head is tilted down and they are walking sideways towards the decoy.

But like I said, many times you don't always end up with the look that you want.

Just my opinion.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:39 am

Order the right form and have plenty of reference pictures. Eyes and ears are the only thing that really changes when you pick the right form.

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”