Deer Hide

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ol_ben

Deer Hide

Unread postby ol_ben » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:46 am

I have a bottle of orange bottle tanning solution I planned to use for a fur-on tanning of my 2016 buck's hide. I froze it in November, thawed out in January, fleshed it, salted it with fresh salt 3 nights in a row, then forgot about it in my garage until now.

It's between sitting there for 3-4 months with salt still on it. What I'm wondering is, can I finish the process? I'm sure with the salt is not rotting but I'm not clear on whether it will still tan and if so, what additional steps I might want to take to make sure it comes out right.

Jeff G
500 Club

Re: Deer Hide

Unread postby Jeff G » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:06 am

When we process deer capes, we...

flesh them, salt them, shake off salt and let air dry, fold up and set on shelf with others till we get enough to send to the tannery for shipping.

In the dried salted stage they are very fragile. You need to make a salt water solution and rehydrate the hide so that it is pliable and then clear water rinse before applying your method of tanning.

the hide should be fine as long as you had it salted.
ol_ben

Re: Deer Hide

Unread postby ol_ben » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:21 pm

Jeff G wrote:When we process deer capes, we...

flesh them, salt them, shake off salt and let air dry, fold up and set on shelf with others till we get enough to send to the tannery for shipping.

In the dried salted stage they are very fragile. You need to make a salt water solution and rehydrate the hide so that it is pliable and then clear water rinse before applying your method of tanning.

the hide should be fine as long as you had it salted.

That's good news. Thanks for the info!

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”