Mounts around woodstove

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JMAR85

Mounts around woodstove

Unread postby JMAR85 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:49 am

I'm refinishing my basement and my wife and I are trying to decide which walls would be good for mounts. My question is how close is too close for a mount to be to a woodstove. I won't be placing them overtop of it but what's a good rule of thumb for distance from the stove?

Jeff G
500 Club

Re: Mounts around woodstove

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:54 am

Should be ok in the room with a wood stove. You might want to put a humidifier in the room so that it does not get to dry.

A well put together mount should not think as it ages, i've seen some taxidermy age/shrink very bad over time due to poor hide prep and tanning.

Sunlight is the #1 killer of a deer mount.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:56 am

I don't have any mounts but thinking you could decide on a temperature that you think would be acceptable, then fire up the woodstove full bore and then using one of those laser thermometers, map out the heat distribution around the wood stove?

The type of thermometer I am thinking of: https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywo ... w2a6_e_p19
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:58 am

The only issue I've had is small cracks at the corner of the eye from getting too dry. It is relatively easy to repair, so not a crisis.
JMAR85

Unread postby JMAR85 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:42 am

Thanks for the replys
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:06 am

I avoid any type of heat source. Short term it may not do much damage but long term is when mounts can really start looking bad when kept in a bad environment. If you want to have good looking mounts 20+ years I would not recommend putting them close enough to the woodstove that the heat is felt. I like Mike's idea about using a thermometer to test. Mounts cost a lot of money these days so why risk it. Personally unless it’s a very large wall I wouldn’t even put a mount on the same wall as the woodstove.
JMAR85

Unread postby JMAR85 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:07 am

Dewey wrote:I avoid any type of heat source. Short term it may not do much damage but long term is when mounts can really start looking bad when kept in a bad environment. If you want to have good looking mounts 20+ years I would not recommend putting them close enough to the woodstove that the heat is felt. I like Mike's idea about using a thermometer to test. Mounts cost a lot of money these days so why risk it. Personally unless it’s a very large wall I wouldn’t even put a mount on the same wall as the woodstove.

Good point. I wouldn't be putting them on the same wall as the stove. My stove sits in the center of my basement ( I have a rancher and the chimney runs up through the center of the house) and I was considering putting them on the wall across from the stove
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:09 pm

Not sure on a WB stove, but I can tell ya what never to do and that's put a mount in your shop. I have afew in my dads shop including my first bow kill. There just awful, cracks and fading. I had em in my spare bedroom and he asked if he could hang em, long story short I'm a idiot :doh:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:40 pm

my neighbor is a taxidermist hes allways fixing ears and eyes from mounts being hung over wood stoves id keep at least 10 feet let the wife do her decor on that wall lol
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”