Guided hunts on public

Post Hunts & Leases for sale + Questions about outfitters, leases ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Guided hunts on public

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:01 am

I'm curious. Are there any guides out there that utilize public land or do pretty much all of them stay on their private land? This is referring to whitetails.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Zap

Re: Guided hunts on public

Unread postby Zap » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:08 am

Illegal in Kansas.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:30 am

I guided on public land exclusivly when I guided deer hunters in S.E. Wisconsin... And there are others, but mostly in Northern Wisconsin. Pretty sure when Mike Foss guided deer he guided public. He does with bears.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:45 am

It's illegal in a lot of places. If it's not it should be. That's like someone charging you to hunt your own land. :evil:
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:02 am

Spysar wrote:It's illegal in a lot of places. If it's not it should be. That's like someone charging you to hunt your own land. :evil:

What about fishing guides?
some people don't have the time or knowledge to find good spots and trade $ for the chance to have sucessful outing.
How about bear hunting with dogs? Who owns their own dogs and has time to train them?
I believe there is a place for it.
A good guide - especially a fishing guide - will teach you as well.
A friend of mine hired a guide to go crappie ice fishing. He is fully capable of catching fish but wanted to learn from the guide. He said the $ was well worth what the guide taught him.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:24 am

Spysar wrote:It's illegal in a lot of places. If it's not it should be. That's like someone charging you to hunt your own land. :evil:

I dissagree... Outlawing hunting with guides on public land would hurt hunting. When people hired me, most of them wanted to learn how I hunted beds, and how I had success on public land. Most of them were looking to learn skills.
A lot of people would not be able to hunt some animals like bears in Wisconsin, cause the overall majority are on public land, but the majority of bear hunters don't live where the bears are... As Magic stated, it would be the same as outlawing guided fishing trips on public waters.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:54 am

your not paying for the land. your paying for the service.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:44 am

I do not agree with that.

Guide service is not the same as pay to hunt land.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:54 am

Zap wrote:

I do not agree with that.

Guide service is not the same as pay to hunt land.

Definition of GUIDE
1 : one that leads or directs another's way
b : a person who exhibits and explains points of interest
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:10 pm

I guess I'm anti guide/ outfitter because there is public land I hunt that shares a boundary with a guided hunt place. I like the fact that the guides can't bring people on the public land I'm hunting.

I guess I spoke too soon, and you guys proved there is a place for guides on public. But there are places where they don't need to be also.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:13 pm

Spysar wrote:I guess I'm anti guide/ outfitter because there is public land I hunt that shares a boundary with a guided hunt place. I like the fact that the guides can't bring people on the public land I'm hunting.

I guess I spoke too soon, and you guys proved there is a place for guides on public. But there are places where they don't need to be also.

agreed
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:21 pm

I can agree with that to a point Spy... I would hate to see an outfitter camp go up where I hunt deer. But, I still wouldn't want guideing to be illeagle. Where I bear hunt in Minnesota there are outfitter camps everywhere on the public land, but really they are not even an obstacle for me. More of an annoyance with certain ones who act like they own certain logging roads or sections.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:44 pm

I agree. Around here guiding on public land has hurt hunting considerably. The guides around here (for deer) take over area's and the two guides I have talked to told me they take any stands they find because it is "their" area. They said people need to understand that they put a lot of time into scouting spots in the off season and have to make a living. I have heard of similar stories over the years and talked to guys that said they quit hunting because of this kind of behavior (I'm not only referring to guides in this instance). Before I spoke to those two guides I didn't even think it was legal. It blew my mind to find out it was legal. I don't think it is right for the public to pay for the land and then have private business be allowed to exploit it for their personal profit. I know how you feel about it Dan because you guided on public, but I have seen it do far more harm than good.

I think with fish it is different because there are millions upon millions of fish and unless your fishing a plentiful fishery (like salmon, steelhead, lake Erie walleye, etc) guides often have their clients practice catch and release unless they catch a trophy.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:52 pm

I don't have a problem with guides utilizing public property. I would have a big problem with them getting territorial about it. They should be due the same respect as any other hunter. If they messed with my stands or attempted to coerce me out of an area I would notify every appropriate authority. That would not be tolerated.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:51 am

Scot wrote:I don't have a problem with guides utilizing public property. I would have a big problem with them getting territorial about it. They should be due the same respect as any other hunter. If they messed with my stands or attempted to coerce me out of an area I would notify every appropriate authority. That would not be tolerated.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I agree... I have ran into bad guides, and good guides. Lumping them all into the same catagorie is simalar to saying hunters should not be able to hunt public land because its also owned by anti-hunters and they don't like the garbage we all leave lying all over the place. Or the bullet holes every one of them dang hunters puts in signs.

• Advertisement

Return to “Outfitters Guided Hunts and Leases”