Guided hunts on public

Post Hunts & Leases for sale + Questions about outfitters, leases ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store


User avatar
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club
Posts: 3011
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:13 am
Status: Offline

Re: Guided hunts on public

Postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:52 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:
Spysar wrote:It's illegal in a lot of places. If it's not it should be. That's like someone charging you to hunt your own land. :evil:

I agree. Around here guiding on public land has hurt hunting considerably. The guides around here (for deer) take over area's and the two guides I have talked to told me they take any stands they find because it is "their" area. They said people need to understand that they put a lot of time into scouting spots in the off season and have to make a living. I have heard of similar stories over the years and talked to guys that said they quit hunting because of this kind of behavior (I'm not only referring to guides in this instance). Before I spoke to those two guides I didn't even think it was legal. It blew my mind to find out it was legal. I don't think it is right for the public to pay for the land and then have private business be allowed to exploit it for their personal profit. I know how you feel about it Dan because you guided on public, but I have seen it do far more harm than good.

I think with fish it is different because there are millions upon millions of fish and unless your fishing a plentiful fishery (like salmon, steelhead, lake Erie walleye, etc) guides often have their clients practice catch and release unless they catch a trophy.



IF you ask the WI DNR we have millions upon millions of deer that all need to die :lol: :lol: bunch of clowns!

I see your point, I can guarantee if I was in the situation being harassed, those "clients" would have the most miserable hunts of their lives. I hate people, especially the stupid ones. I don't know why guiding on public land would be illegal, more importantly I don't know someone would want to guide on public land or why someone would pay for a guided hunt on public land. That being said, if it was to learn a tactic like guys do with fishing it makes sense. I'd pay up to $100 to be set up on a buck bed that produced a buck sighting and a solid explanation of how it came together. I am not paying for the hunt I am paying for an education, at the same time its far more rewarding to put it together myself.


"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
User avatar
addisonlee
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:50 am
Location: WISCONSIN
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Guided hunts on public

Postby addisonlee » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:52 am

Interesting thread. Thanks for sharing everyone.
User avatar
MOBIGBUCKS
Posts: 2815
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:21 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Guided hunts on public

Postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:16 am

dan wrote:I can agree with that to a point Spy... I would hate to see an outfitter camp go up where I hunt deer. But, I still wouldn't want guideing to be illeagle. Where I bear hunt in Minnesota there are outfitter camps everywhere on the public land, but really they are not even an obstacle for me. More of an annoyance with certain ones who act like they own certain logging roads or sections.


I wouldn't have a problem with it if Guides didn't act like the ones you describe where you bear hunt. If it was legal in Kansas, I think you would get a lot of guides trying to deter regular public hunters from hunting the areas they are "guiding" on. I'm not saying all guides would be like this, but you know some of them would be acting like it was their land.
User avatar
Southern Man
500 Club
Posts: 3575
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:04 am
Location: Extreme Western Kentucky
Status: Offline

Re: Guided hunts on public

Postby Southern Man » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:08 am

[quote="DEERSLAYER"]
The guides around here (for deer) take over area's and the two guides I have talked to told me they take any stands they find because it is "their" area. They said people need to understand that they put a lot of time into scouting spots in the off season and have to make a living. quote]

That's a load of crap right there. And being the abrasive fellow I am, I'd have to fight it, just for grins. I don't have a problem with guides guidin on public land and would respect the hunters that are there. But not when I'm told public ground is "their area" Just ain't right....
User avatar
Brandon
500 Club
Posts: 1426
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:24 am
Location: MD & VA
Status: Offline

Re: Guided hunts on public

Postby Brandon » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:47 am

i dont have a problem with guideing on public land... its just somebody hunting.
I know for elk in such most is public.

I do have a problem with being able to leave your stands and trail cameras on public land.
That is illegal in my state and rightfully so. Its basically littering AND claiming a spot. The land is for the public, take your crap out with you. All of it.

I also like others would not tolerate any guide bullying me on public land.
You can't kill em on the couch
blizzardhunter
500 Club
Posts: 620
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:23 pm
Location: Murray, KY
Status: Offline

Re: Guided hunts on public

Postby blizzardhunter » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:37 pm

I don't have a problem with guides on public land. However, if anyone messed with anything of mine, guide or not, I'd dig off in him. Might not be the right way to handle it but I bet you he would think twice before he touched my stands again. I have a duck hunting buddy who has a saying I love when dealing with rude people on public ground: "I've never had my a** whooped with a shotgun in my hand"
upwind
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:56 am
Facebook: www.facebook.com/josephwrealty
Location: Indiana
Status: Offline

Re: Guided hunts on public

Postby upwind » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:37 pm

I myself don't have an issue with guides on public land especially if they are there teaching skills to a client. Yet if I were to ever have an individual try to claim it as there own I definitely would be ticked to say the least.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
User avatar
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Posts: 6160
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:11 pm
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473
Location: MidMichigan
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Guided hunts on public

Postby Singing Bridge » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:15 pm

When we develop our own opinions on subjects such as public land hunting guides, it is important to make an informed decision. I have walked right into a bear guide and one of his clients being killed with an AK47 and the bear hunter that killed them offing himself over it. It happened over territorialism on public land and I don't have time to give all the details tonight... but it is important to see what this can lead to on one end of the spectrum. Could these 3 deaths have been prevented? Maybe, maybe not...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
www.stealthoutdoors.com
BGHUNTER
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:31 am
Facebook: bgrangerhunter@live.com
Location: Milton, Wisconsin back to Jackson, NJ
Status: Offline

Re: Guided hunts on public

Postby BGHUNTER » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:01 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:When we develop our own opinions on subjects such as public land hunting guides, it is important to make an informed decision. I have walked right into a bear guide and one of his clients being killed with an AK47 and the bear hunter that killed them offing himself over it. It happened over territorialism on public land and I don't have time to give all the details tonight... but it is important to see what this can lead to on one end of the spectrum. Could these 3 deaths have been prevented? Maybe, maybe not...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

:shock: :shock:
mheichelbech
500 Club
Posts: 2938
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:00 pm
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com
Location: Charlestown, IN
Status: Offline

Re: Guided hunts on public

Postby mheichelbech » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:20 am

My experience is that some people get territorial regardless...on a lease my brother hunts, everyone pays $1,000 per year and technically can hunt whereever they want. Generally speaking, they all have "their" areas they have hunted for years....if another guy comes in...for example, 2 new guys came in and planted a food plot not far from where my brother has a stand. My brother welcomes them but lets them know where he has stands, that he was there first and they can hunt there if they want but it might not be their best hunting spot. He will work with them to share the area if they are nice guys. He doesn't claim any ownership to it...squatter's rights or anything like that but he does expect some courtesy as the original hunter in that area. There are other hunters on this property who put up stands all over and totally claim this as theirs and try to run off anyone that hunts near it. They are on the verge of being ejected from the lease. Not sure this has a lot to do with guides as much as people in general....some people are overly greedy...some people are fair minded. I think you are more likely to find greedy non-guides than guides. I think if I came upon a public spot a guide was utilizing...I would say look, don't wanna mess you up but can you point me to another good spot I can check out? In fact....I would try to cultivate him as a hunting friend knowing that he probably spends more time in the woods than me and could be a valuable resource on what the deer are doing in the area.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
binney59
500 Club
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:01 am
Status: Offline

Re: Guided hunts on public

Postby binney59 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:15 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:When we develop our own opinions on subjects such as public land hunting guides, it is important to make an informed decision. I have walked right into a bear guide and one of his clients being killed with an AK47 and the bear hunter that killed them offing himself over it. It happened over territorialism on public land and I don't have time to give all the details tonight... but it is important to see what this can lead to on one end of the spectrum. Could these 3 deaths have been prevented? Maybe, maybe not...

[ Post made via Android ] Image


Holy crap. Would love to hear the details of this! Scary situation!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
User avatar
Zap
Posts: 10061
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:57 pm
Location: OK, I am in Kansas.....
Status: Offline

Re: Guided hunts on public

Postby Zap » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:33 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:When we develop our own opinions on subjects such as public land hunting guides, it is important to make an informed decision. I have walked right into a bear guide and one of his clients being killed with an AK47 and the bear hunter that killed them offing himself over it. It happened over territorialism on public land and I don't have time to give all the details tonight... but it is important to see what this can lead to on one end of the spectrum. Could these 3 deaths have been prevented? Maybe, maybe not...

[ Post made via Android ] Image


:shock:

That's a messed up situation!
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BCO
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:26 am
Status: Offline

Re: Guided hunts on public

Postby BCO » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:19 am

Guding on public land is huge business in Colorado for Elk hunting.
Btoeps74
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:53 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Guided hunts on public

Postby Btoeps74 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:41 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:
Spysar wrote:It's illegal in a lot of places. If it's not it should be. That's like someone charging you to hunt your own land. :evil:

I agree. Around here guiding on public land has hurt hunting considerably. The guides around here (for deer) take over area's and the two guides I have talked to told me they take any stands they find because it is "their" area. They said people need to understand that they put a lot of time into scouting spots in the off season and have to make a living. I have heard of similar stories over the years and talked to guys that said they quit hunting because of this kind of behavior (I'm not only referring to guides in this instance). Before I spoke to those two guides I didn't even think it was legal. It blew my mind to find out it was legal. I don't think it is right for the public to pay for the land and then have private business be allowed to exploit it for their personal profit. I know how you feel about it Dan because you guided on public, but I have seen it do far more harm than good.

I think with fish it is different because there are millions upon millions of fish and unless your fishing a plentiful fishery (like salmon, steelhead, lake Erie walleye, etc) guides often have their clients practice catch and release unless they catch a trophy.


This reminds me of walleye fishing a few years ago. There is a spot I fish out on Green Bay that has always been a awesome fishing spot.

So I was fishing there with friends and there and a tournament boat pulled in about a half hour later and they kept yelling at us to leave because they were there trying to win some tourney. After while I got fed up and just fired back "mother clucker I'm here catching dinner". Maybe if they had just asked nicely in first place I'd of obliged but he took the other approach. The bay of Green Bay is huge and he wanted that one acre of water to himself. Screw that!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
User avatar
SamPotter
500 Club
Posts: 1005
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:01 am
Location: CT, NY, now IA
Status: Offline

Re: Guided hunts on public

Postby SamPotter » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:58 pm

BGHUNTER wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:When we develop our own opinions on subjects such as public land hunting guides, it is important to make an informed decision. I have walked right into a bear guide and one of his clients being killed with an AK47 and the bear hunter that killed them offing himself over it. It happened over territorialism on public land and I don't have time to give all the details tonight... but it is important to see what this can lead to on one end of the spectrum. Could these 3 deaths have been prevented? Maybe, maybe not...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

:shock: :shock:



:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: This story literally just made me feel sick to my stomach.

Return to “Outfitters Guided Hunts and Leases”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest