Help Me Find a Western Hunt

Post Hunts & Leases for sale + Questions about outfitters, leases ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Re: Help Me Find a Western Hunt

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:36 am

Octang wrote:
justdirtyfun wrote:On the subject of elk and hauling. I have heard of people that are hired to pack out game from the mountains. Arrangements can be made in advance.
Carry on, antelope sounds fun.

Interesting! I'll have to look into that. I was joking with a friend of mine who is a semi-pro soccer player who has never hunted, but is interested in the outdoors, I told him I'd bring him along so he can run up the ridges and scout for me and then haul out whatever I shoot!

Check with the outfitters found in the area. Some will pack out for you if it doesn't interfere with their client schedule. They probably would know of someone that may do it if they don't.

You'll be smart to check out all of this now. That way you can choose an area also based on availability of a packer. Then your not scrambling next year when it's time to put in for tags.

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:12 am

Thanks to everyone who gave me input. After doing more research than I care to admit over the past number of weeks, I just submitted my application for Wyoming antelope tags tonight! Wish me luck in the draw!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:23 am

:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:11 am

Good luck, Wyoming is a beautiful state!! I'm building antelope and elk points out there, I think I have 5 or 6 of each, waiting to draw a limited unit for each.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:16 am

WV Bowhunter wrote:Good luck, Wyoming is a beautiful state!! I'm building antelope and elk points out there, I think I have 5 or 6 of each, waiting to draw a limited unit for each.

I'm planning to start building elk points in Wyoming this year. Sounds like you are off to a great start! You should have some really nice options opening up for you pretty soon, depending on how elite of a unit youre holding out for.

I'm planning to do an OTC elk hunt in Idaho with my dad next year, but I'll be banking away the wyoming points for a trophy hunt down the road.

You've probably seen this website already, but if not I found it to be exceptionally helpful narrowing down units to hunt: http://www.toprut.com/hunt/wyoming-antelope/ (they have elk and antelope tabs for you)
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:53 am

Octang wrote:
WV Bowhunter wrote:Good luck, Wyoming is a beautiful state!! I'm building antelope and elk points out there, I think I have 5 or 6 of each, waiting to draw a limited unit for each.

I'm planning to start building elk points in Wyoming this year. Sounds like you are off to a great start! You should have some really nice options opening up for you pretty soon, depending on how elite of a unit youre holding out for.

I'm planning to do an OTC elk hunt in Idaho with my dad next year, but I'll be banking away the wyoming points for a trophy hunt down the road.

You've probably seen this website already, but if not I found it to be exceptionally helpful narrowing down units to hunt: http://www.toprut.com/hunt/wyoming-antelope/ (they have elk and antelope tabs for you)

I hunted antelope out there once about 10 years ago and drew without any points. Can't remember the unit but it was near Douglas. I cashed in my mule deer points last year on region G and it looks like I made a good decision as the winter kill on the western part of the state is supposed to be pretty bad this winter. I would like to do that hunt again before I get too old to handle it as the views in the high country are amazing.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:20 am

WV Bowhunter wrote:
Octang wrote:

I hunted antelope out there once about 10 years ago and drew without any points. Can't remember the unit but it was near Douglas. I cashed in my mule deer points last year on region G and it looks like I made a good decision as the winter kill on the western part of the state is supposed to be pretty bad this winter. I would like to do that hunt again before I get too old to handle it as the views in the high country are amazing.

I'm also hunting with zero points. I ponied up a little extra money to enter the special drawing to get a smidge better unit with larger tracts of public land. I'm not worried about getting a trophy, I just want to have an adventure and do some backpacking. Douglas is actually on the border of one of the units I put in for. Though my top spot is further west. I wanted something more in the foothills if for no other reason than the amazing scenery!

• Advertisement

Return to “Outfitters Guided Hunts and Leases”