Want to hunt Iowa?

This section of the forum is for people looking to trade or swap hunts, services, or equipment, in exchange for other hunts, services, or equipment.

EXAMPLE: Taxidermist willing to trade deer head mount for deer hunt in Midwest.

**Hunts for sale by outfitters need to be put in the outfitter section of the forum.
U.P. bownut
500 Club

Re: Want to hunt Iowa?

Unread postby U.P. bownut » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:05 am

I could help somebody with Bear if they wanted to try to hunt in the S W side of Michigan's U.P.. Im not real confident in setting someone up on deer or turkey though.

"Freedom Isn't Free"
Maine bird dog

Unread postby Maine bird dog » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:42 am

Would you consider Maine? Deer pop has been at all time low for several years. Great bird hunting . Moose is by lottery draw. 10% go to non residents. I have guided many successfull hunts. As much of a guaranteed hunt as any free range hunt can be.Can use bow/gun etc. Several seasons ie Sept,Oct. . Let me know if your interested can let you know zones etc. Largest bear pop in lower 48. Great bird hunting I have NAVHDA GWP.Primarily grouse and woodcock. though we could mix in some ducks too.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:19 am

Stanley wrote:
Bucky wrote:
Dor wrote:
jlh42581 wrote:If I am reading this right you could gun hunt iowa almost every year in some zones. Its amazing that 147 people drew a zone 5 tag with one point for archery!

I think the price tag for a IA whitetail is a serious deterrent for many. Not to mention, IMO, many states have better public hunting to offer at half or more the price tag. I have 4 points, but didn't even apply. I can get a elk tag cheaper.....pretty sad.

x2

North MO is $225 OTC, makes it hard to justify spending $750 to hunt Iowa. Plus if I'm not tagged out in WI I decided I don't need/want to travel I don't have pressure to used a hard to draw/$$$ tag.

Great point I think some guys spread themselves too thin and struggle on everything. I have always said fill your home state tag and then go out of state. Iowa gets a lot of ink but other states are a much better value; tree for tree, buck for buck, dollar for dollar.

X3!!! Well put Bucky and Stanley

[ Post made via Android ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:37 am

Man Iowa is up to $750 now? Getting a little crazy down there, I guess they priced me right out of it.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:42 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Stanley wrote:
Bucky wrote:
Dor wrote:
jlh42581 wrote:If I am reading this right you could gun hunt iowa almost every year in some zones. Its amazing that 147 people drew a zone 5 tag with one point for archery!

I think the price tag for a IA whitetail is a serious deterrent for many. Not to mention, IMO, many states have better public hunting to offer at half or more the price tag. I have 4 points, but didn't even apply. I can get a elk tag cheaper.....pretty sad.

x2

North MO is $225 OTC, makes it hard to justify spending $750 to hunt Iowa. Plus if I'm not tagged out in WI I decided I don't need/want to travel I don't have pressure to used a hard to draw/$$$ tag.

Great point I think some guys spread themselves too thin and struggle on everything. I have always said fill your home state tag and then go out of state. Iowa gets a lot of ink but other states are a much better value; tree for tree, buck for buck, dollar for dollar.

Easy to say that stuff when your from Iowa or Wisconsin! :mrgreen:
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:52 am

I was thinking about going to the Catskills.......... :lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:10 pm

Spysar wrote:Easy to say that stuff when your from Iowa or Wisconsin! :mrgreen:

I was thinking the same thing. ;)
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:22 am

Spysar wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:
Stanley wrote:
Bucky wrote:
Dor wrote:

x2

Easy to say that stuff when your from Iowa or Wisconsin! :mrgreen:

:lol:

Good point!

I'm in Cananadaigua, NY right now for a wedding. That evening drive was uneventful despite some good looking farm country. Ready to go back ;)

Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:26 am

Zap wrote:I was thinking about going to the Catskills.......... :lol:

You mean your not gonna leave Kansas to come here and hunt with me? :lol:

Do you ever come back to NY to visit, or are you totally done with this place?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:35 am

I hunted Iowa last fall, we had a blast. Yes the tag was pricey but the hunting was good and the camaraderie was priceless. The cost of the tag was quickly forgotten. The deer are far less spooky compared to WI.
msailor

Unread postby msailor » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:06 am

headgear wrote:Man Iowa is up to $750 now? Getting a little crazy down there, I guess they priced me right out of it.

It's about $550 all fees and licenses included.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:26 am

msailor wrote:
headgear wrote:Man Iowa is up to $750 now? Getting a little crazy down there, I guess they priced me right out of it.

Plus $50/ year for preference points which can add another $150-$200.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:32 am

venisonassassin wrote:I hunted Iowa last fall, we had a blast. Yes the tag was pricey but the hunting was good and the camaraderie was priceless. The cost of the tag was quickly forgotten. The deer are far less spooky compared to WI.

How did you do?
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:37 am

msailor wrote:

GENERAL DEER/ANTLERLESS-ONLY...........$426
ANTLERLESS-ONLY.........................................$228
HOLIDAY ANTLERLESS-ONLY..........................$78
HUNTING LICENSE (18 and older).....................$112
HUNTING LICENSE (under age 18)......................$32
HABITAT FEE......................................................$13

Plus all the point fees.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
msailor

Unread postby msailor » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:36 am

Dewey wrote:
msailor wrote:

Plus $50/ year for preference points which can add another $150-$200.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

True, true. Once that money is burned I forget about it; otherwise, I'd break down and cry if I calculated the overall cost.

• Advertisement

Return to “SWAP & TRADE HUNTS”