Trophy Brook Trout

This section of the forum is for people looking to trade or swap hunts, services, or equipment, in exchange for other hunts, services, or equipment.

EXAMPLE: Taxidermist willing to trade deer head mount for deer hunt in Midwest.

**Hunts for sale by outfitters need to be put in the outfitter section of the forum.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dan T

Trophy Brook Trout

Unread postby Dan T » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:17 am

It's been a couple of rough years for me medically, as a result things have been very tough financially as well. Long story short, I am in need of a new bow. I've owned my current bow for ten years now and it owes me absolutely nothing, but I can tell it's getting tired. The past two times I changed my string and cables, it was a challenge to paper tune but was able to pull it off. I don't want to play that game anymore, it's getting risky. If anyone is interested, I am willing to trade three nights lodging and two days of guided flyfishing for for world class brook trout, for up to two people. For all intensive purposes, there are only three to four rivers left in the lower 48 producing WILD Brook Trout (yes, wild/native never stocked waters) up to and over 5lbs, and they are all in Maine. I Live and own a guide service/flyshop on one of them. I am not looking for accessories, just the bow itself. If anyone is interested PM me and we can talk more about the flyfishing and what I'm looking for in a bow, I don't care about brand names or what it looks like. It can be pink for all I care, as long as it shoots well, I'll spray paint the darn thing. I'm a very practical person and as fair as they come, Its OK if the person makes out better than me. I just need a newer reliable bow, and i don't/Won't have the cash for it this year. Too many bills and projects to catch up on, but I can offer my skills and an adventure of more than equal value. PM me if interested

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Re: Trophy Brook Trout

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:42 am

Righty or lefty?
Dan T

Unread postby Dan T » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:54 am

Right handed
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:14 pm

what is your draw length? Draw weight looking for? How new? I have buddies changing up bows on a regular basis.
Dan T

Unread postby Dan T » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:10 pm

I have a long draw 30"-31" depending on the bow. I've been shooting 70# with a 75% let off, I'm looking to go down to 60# 75% let off or better. Anything five years old or newer would be plenty new to me. I like a brace height around 7" or so and I tend to prefer the shorter axle to axle bows, my current bow is 32" ata, I like to be able to sit flat on my but or Indian style without having to worry about ground clearance.
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:25 am

A trophy brook trout from a native river is a very special fish. I didn't know that Main had any such rivers.

Just to put that in perspective, I only know of two rivers with native brookies that can reliably produce fish over 5lbs in Ontario that do not flow into the Hudson Bay. I've been a brook trout trophy hunter for over twenty five years now; it has been a primary focus. I have regularly travelled over 600 miles to get to waters that have that big fish potential and it has often involved over a weeks worth of portaging/canoeing (not to mention months of research and planning) to make it happen.

I don't have the time or money to invest in a Main brook trout adventure this year, but I can vouch for the kind of unlikely bargain three days of guiding on such waters VS a hunting bow is- even for an experienced brook trout fisherman such as myself who could figure a lot of it over a week of fishing.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:56 am

Dhurtubise wrote:A trophy brook trout from a native river is a very special fish. I didn't know that Main had any such rivers.

Just to put that in perspective, I only know of two rivers with native brookies that can reliably produce fish over 5lbs in Ontario that do not flow into the Hudson Bay. I've been a brook trout trophy hunter for over twenty five years now; it has been a primary focus. I have regularly travelled over 600 miles to get to waters that have that big fish potential and it has often involved over a weeks worth of portaging/canoeing (not to mention months of research and planning) to make it happen.

I don't have the time or money to invest in a Main brook trout adventure this year, but I can vouch for the kind of unlikely bargain three days of guiding on such waters VS a hunting bow is- even for an experienced brook trout fisherman such as myself who could figure a lot of it over a week of fishing.

My buddy hooked one of these fish couple years back in one of the rivers he is talking about. Took him all the way to his backing and broke off. He could do nothing with the fish.
cw2gsp

Unread postby cw2gsp » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:34 pm

Hey Dan, I'm in NH and might be able to work something out. I have a hoyt Faktor but its a 29.5 draw. You could try to see if it would work for you. Lets talk first. PM me. I'll be honest the river that starts with R does nothing for me. I feel like I'm walking into LL Bean when I get to the river, guys everywhere.

Anyway, will to help a guy out. Shoot me a note.
Dan T

Unread postby Dan T » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:39 pm

Thank you to all who showed interest/inquired either here or PM. Looks like I'm going to be all set!

cw2gsp wrote:Hey Dan, I'm in NH and might be able to work something out. I have a hoyt Faktor but its a 29.5 draw. You could try to see if it would work for you. Lets talk first. PM me. I'll be honest the river that starts with R does nothing for me. I feel like I'm walking into LL Bean when I get to the river, guys everywhere.

Yes, the river that starts with R can be a busy river, especially on weekends and holidays. However, mostly the upper river between the dam and the pond, which is only 3/4mile of river out of 5.5 miles of river system. Most of that crowd is associated with the sporting camp by the dam, or hike-in fisherman chasing the same most recent social media intel. Much like a public land hunting spot, if you put in the effort and go the extra distance to the lower river people are easily avoided and fat fish are waiting. Thank you for you inquiry!!
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:08 pm

Dan T wrote:Thank you to all who showed interest/inquired either here or PM. Looks like I'm going to be all set!

cw2gsp wrote:Hey Dan, I'm in NH and might be able to work something out. I have a hoyt Faktor but its a 29.5 draw. You could try to see if it would work for you. Lets talk first. PM me. I'll be honest the river that starts with R does nothing for me. I feel like I'm walking into LL Bean when I get to the river, guys everywhere.

Yes, the river that starts with R can be a busy river, especially on weekends and holidays. However, mostly the upper river between the dam and the pond, which is only 3/4mile of river out of 5.5 miles of river system. Most of that crowd is associated with the sporting camp by the dam, or hike-in fisherman chasing the same most recent social media intel. Much like a public land hunting spot, if you put in the effort and go the extra distance to the lower river people are easily avoided and fat fish are waiting. Thank you for you inquiry!!

We hardly saw a soul :D
cw2gsp

Unread postby cw2gsp » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:44 am

Haha Just connected some Dots Dan. I'm good friends with Brad who as you know is up there a lot this time of year. Maybe I'll run into you at some point, I usually do a long weekend up there with Brad.

Glad to hear you got the bow situation worked out. I actually just got a Prime from LLCote this past winter, that's why I was retiring the Hoyt. Good luck this spring with fishing!
Dan T

Unread postby Dan T » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:55 am

cw2gsp wrote:Haha Just connected some Dots Dan. I'm good friends with Brad who as you know is up there a lot this time of year. Maybe I'll run into you at some point, I usually do a long weekend up there with Brad.

Glad to hear you got the bow situation worked out. I actually just got a Prime from LLCote this past winter, that's why I was retiring the Hoyt. Good luck this spring with fishing!

The guys at LL Cote seem to know there stuff and do good work! Don't give up on that river, if you fish with Brad I'm sure you will so just fine, he knows his way around. On that note, I'm sure I'll meet you soon as well. Tight Lines, Dan T

• Advertisement

Return to “SWAP & TRADE HUNTS”