My season in photos

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Haus86

Re: My season in photos

Unread postby Haus86 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:31 am

Congrats on a great season.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:01 am

First off thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words.

Kokes wrote:wow what a season... and with all the scouting you got to fit in you show no signs of stopping!! what a BEAST you are...
Just curious how many times did you actually get out and "hunt" with a bow/gun in hand this season compared to how many times were you out scouting?
Congrats again Joe and thanks for sharing your season with us, you had an incredible time in the great outdoors this year that's for sure..

I am out scouting between 1 and 3 times a week year round. Usually a couple hours at a time rarely more. So my guess is close to 100 "scouts" a year. I just can't delegate big blocks of time to any of this but what I can do is work in a little bit here and there that adds up to a lot. Last year I tracked it and had about 300 hours in scouting + hunting and 2/3s of it was scouting. I am fortunate to live within 30 minutes of all the land I hunt I know that is not true for many hunters.

Here in Iowa I hunted only twice with a bow on public land both in the same spot, the second hunt was when I tagged the buck. In Wisconsin I hunted two and a half days and missed twice and was up there a 3 day weekend this spring scouting. I hadn't hunted at all on my property before I killed that buck. Late season I got out 6 times before killing I think, half of that was just scouting with gun in hand. I had gone out and sat an evening 2 times previous to that on different properties. I killed that buck as a result of my brother's observation although might have gotten him eventually having seen his tracks.

So I deer hunted about a dozen times this year total :lol: My scouting hours always outnumber hunting hours. I cover a ton of area and try to look at a new spot or two every year.

In 2015 it took me 20 hunts to kill a buck on public land in late November so don't think I am some super hunter this year things just fell into place. I do try to boost the odds with a ton of prep.

These frequent trips outdoors is what keeps me sane in this world. Chasing bucks is just a means to that end, it really is. If there were no such thing as deer I probably would hunt coyotes....or squirrels....or field mice for God's sake and still find happiness :lol: Sometimes I feel I was born in the wrong time period and suspect others know what I am talking about.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:07 am

I have been looking forward to this write up. When I first opened it and you said you were gonna keep it short and show more photos I was a little bummed out, I enjoy the informative post and feel there is a wealth of knowledge shared through them. This was a great write up and some very cool photos as well. Great season man, you flat out know how to get it done on truely mature deer!!
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:53 am

These frequent trips outdoors is what keeps me sane in this world. Chasing bucks is just a means to that end, it really is. If there were no such thing as deer I probably would hunt coyotes....or squirrels....or field mice for God's sake and still find happiness :lol: Sometimes I feel I was born in the wrong time period and suspect others know what I am talking about.[/quote]

Yep I know exactly what your talking about...my wife tells me I was born in the wrong century and I take it as a compliment...

I really like how you break up your scouting method into small chunks throughout the year, with two small kids and a busy job I am going to try and implement more of this style this year as well..the first two scouting trips of the year included my 4 year old and she loved it, so far so good.
Thanks again for posting this thread it was a great read Joe.
Islandhunter

Unread postby Islandhunter » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:24 am

Congrats on an awesome season, I really enjoyed the recap with pictures!
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:15 pm

Congrats on a great season Joe, those Colorado pics are unreal! I need to get out there and see that for myself
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:27 pm

Congrats on a great season!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:35 pm

If I were competitive I would challenge your scenery photos.

Not so much on the deer or hand photos. .. :mrgreen:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:57 pm

That's a crazy good hunt-to-kill ratio on mature bucks.....and you aren't hunting huge blocks of exclusive land. Very impressive. :clap:
Joe68
500 Club
Facebook: Don't believe in facebook

Unread postby Joe68 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:37 pm

Awesome Joe. You are a true woodsmen. Thanks for sharing your journey. Great season.
rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:39 pm

Dream season! Congrats on all the adventure and success. Always looking forward to see what you accomplish.
bigbucks1234

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:00 pm

Thanks Joe for taking the time to put your season into words. I hope you know how much you are helping others out with your unselfishness to share your experiences. Congrats on another great season!!
ridgerunner8

Unread postby ridgerunner8 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:22 pm

Congrats on a great season Joe ! It's always great to see Your posts and pics . :clap: :clap:
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:28 pm

Awesome write up and pictures. Congrats on a great season.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:11 pm

Heckuva season Joe! Great pictures and write up too.

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”