Isitseasonyet?'s 2017 Doe Kill

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Isitseasonyet?'s 2017 Doe Kill

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:36 pm

So after my close encounter with the fork horn while stalking the corn at mid day, I decided to head to some nearby public and try my luck, I had a doe tag in my pocket so I decided to do an observation sit. This public has been getting pounded lately and there were ten trucks in the parking lot... luckily for me I know of some county land just across the road that not many know about and alot of deer get bumped out of the state land and over to here, so I went deep. I walked I got set up just into the marsh on a point where I could observe three known buck beds to see if anyone was home, and I knew there was doe bedding on the point, to try fill my freezer. I heard a group of does and fawns coming through the woods very loudly, and stood up and got ready, and just out of range the veered off course, much to my suprise because of a small 8 pt that got up outta one of the beds and came into the tip of my point. I decided to let him walk, but I did think about it. as he gave chase, the doe was having none of that. And they ran aroun in the cattails for a good wile putting on a good show. He would chase for a while, then she would chase him, then the fawn would chase all three, it was like nothing I had ever seen. Next a small spiker came running in from the otherside chasing a lone doe also having none of that. I decided if the chase came past my tree I would try to take her. Well it didn't so I just stayed ready and waited. Then I spotted a doe stand up in the cattails and head my way towards the point. she go to the patch of trees i was on just off the point, stopped in the opening quartering toward, and I let her have a slick trick magnum to the breadbasket, she walked no more than 20 yards and her legs got wobbly and she dissapeared... I thought for sure a good hit. I waited a while and didnt hear anything, so I decided to get down and check my arrow. It was solid green, but there was good lung blood and I was very confused. The deer looked like I had just double lunged it, but looking at my arrow pointed to a gut shot. So I really didnt know what to do, go in and look for her? let her wait incase that was the first bed? It looked and she reacted like a lung hit, and the blood looked good. But man that arrow. I'm still learning the ropes of bowhunting, and didnt know, so I made a post. Thankfully a friend reached out and said, thats a dead deer go get her. So I gathered my gear and headed back to get her, and there she laid where she fell.

When I gutted her I still cant figure out why my arrow looks like it did, my shot was behind the shoulder maybe 4 inches on one side and 6 on the other. The lungs were deflated, there was no damage to anything behind that "wall of muscle" that seperates everything, but it did smell a little, but not like a cow barn or anything. Im very confused, I would really like it of someone could explain what I possibly could have hit. Because I am at a loss, this is only my third deer with a bow... But i have shot several with a rifle and to be honest i thought i understood deer anatomy...

anyways I am very happy to put some meet in my freezer!

Kokes
500 Club

Re: Isitseasonyet?'s 2017 Doe Kill

Unread postby Kokes » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:40 pm

Congrats on a great hunt. Sweet shirt too...could the green have accumulated on your arrow after the shot? Something from the leaves or moss etc?
Sounds like a great spot u got to hunt there with the rut ramping up too...
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:10 pm

Congrats man!! Great hunt. Pretty sure you sent an arrow through 2 lungs and her esophagus? I had the same thing happen with my doe, and my hit was even closer to the shoulder than yours. It stunk and there was corn in her chest cavity in front of the diaphragm. Maybe someone else has a different explanation but that’s the only thing that makes sense to me.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:18 pm

Congrats :clap:
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:23 pm

Nice job.. that's a nice mature doe !!!!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:51 pm

Wow! That’s a pretty nice sized doe!

Nice job!
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:29 pm

Nice job. Lockdown that makes perfect sense. I've killed them and found food matter in the chest cavity as well but never looked any deeper. That explanation seems logical
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:26 am

Congrats Buddy! She looks tasty!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:18 am

:clap: that was a good day of hunting! Congrats
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:27 am

Awesome! Congrats on the kill! :dance: :dance:
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:47 am

Great doe man! :clap: :dance: Nice hoodie 8-) That is something alot of us havent done is take pics w the new apparel. Way to be
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:25 am

Darkknight54 wrote:Great doe man! :clap: :dance: Nice hoodie 8-) That is something alot of us havent done is take pics w the new apparel. Way to be

I was wearing it on the hunt! I figured if I wore it under my sweatshirt on every hunt eventually I’d get a kill wearing it!

Thanks for the kind words fellas! Had the tenderloins today and she was TASTY! :L:
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:47 am

Sweet! :dance:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”