PredatorTC Public Land Self Film.. Biggest buck to date!

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mibowfreak
500 Club

Re: PredatorTC Public Land Self Film.. Biggest buck to date!

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:25 am

Congratulations man. Awesome story.

Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:50 am

Nice one!
rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:33 pm

Congrats! That's a heck of a chess match. Very impressive.
jpsmith270

Unread postby jpsmith270 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:53 pm

PredatorTC wrote:
jpsmith270 wrote:Congrats on an awesome deer. Thanks for posting the story along with it. I am curious to know concerning how consistent he was using this bedding area. Was he always there on a certain wind? It seems you were in the area a lot as you pinpointed his bedding location. I would have been afraid of pushing him out of there as I tried to get that much intel.

Great job also sticking to your plan with the 125 tempting you.

Great question! I was only ever tight up in his face in or in his bedding area three times. The one morning when I came into it backwards with the kayak, then a few days later for the morning and nights it that I did, and then Monday night when I killed him. This was over a period of around three weeks. I know the area pretty well so I have an idea of how they bed when they do bed. I sat literally over the top of his bed the morning that I came in with the kayak and when it got light all the sign was there which was reassuring.

The place that I pestered him a lot was around the crop fields where everyone else was leaving sent and making noise and hunting. Based on the time that I was getting him on camera and the direction of travel on all of my different cameras it pointed me in the direction that he was coming from and also told me that it must have been quite a ways back. In no way do I claim to know what I'm talking about but it all just made sense to me so I went for it on a hunch

Was he there on a certain wind every time and were you hunting him each time you got this wind?

I greatly appreciate the time everyone puts in to explain the setups and details of the hunt. It helps those of us that are still trying to put it all together to build "situational databases" in our minds that we can eventually apply situations in the field.

I have read this story 6-8 time already. Thanks again.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:21 pm

Finally read thru this. Congrats on the awesome bowkill! Awesome accomplishment :dance:
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:03 am

jpsmith270 wrote:
PredatorTC wrote:
jpsmith270 wrote:Congrats on an awesome deer. Thanks for posting the story along with it. I am curious to know concerning how consistent he was using this bedding area. Was he always there on a certain wind? It seems you were in the area a lot as you pinpointed his bedding location. I would have been afraid of pushing him out of there as I tried to get that much intel.

Great job also sticking to your plan with the 125 tempting you.

Great question! I was only ever tight up in his face in or in his bedding area three times. The one morning when I came into it backwards with the kayak, then a few days later for the morning and nights it that I did, and then Monday night when I killed him. This was over a period of around three weeks. I know the area pretty well so I have an idea of how they bed when they do bed. I sat literally over the top of his bed the morning that I came in with the kayak and when it got light all the sign was there which was reassuring.

The place that I pestered him a lot was around the crop fields where everyone else was leaving sent and making noise and hunting. Based on the time that I was getting him on camera and the direction of travel on all of my different cameras it pointed me in the direction that he was coming from and also told me that it must have been quite a ways back. In no way do I claim to know what I'm talking about but it all just made sense to me so I went for it on a hunch

Was he there on a certain wind every time and were you hunting him each time you got this wind?

I greatly appreciate the time everyone puts in to explain the setups and details of the hunt. It helps those of us that are still trying to put it all together to build "situational databases" in our minds that we can eventually apply situations in the field.

I have read this story 6-8 time already. Thanks again.

No problem man. I didn't notice any specific wind direction that had him on a pattern. I did notice that sometimes it seems like he was there and sometimes it didn't. I would imagine if I had my camera way back up close to his bedding area it would have told me more in regards to wind direction and bedding, but because I had my cameras closer to the crop fields I was just getting bits and pieces of information.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:31 am

mt008 wrote:Well written, I like the perspective on hunting mature animals, it is a different ballgame, can be very challenging, but very fun at the same time. Congrats!

I would love to hear the full story of the 3:30 am kayak ride and wet feet, lol

I'm going to try posting a photo here the new way and see if it works..

https://postimg.org/gallery/1l3gjkbhy/
Here are a couple of photos I took that morning when I arrived at my destination.

I've always wanted to try accessing bedding this way but just never had the guts to do it in the middle of the night. The hardest part about getting up and doing something that you really don't want to do is the commitment, you just have to commit to it the night before and go for it otherwise when that alarm clock goes off you just won't do it. I've learned that if I ever tell myself I will decide when the alarm clock goes off, I can never do it. When I commit to going hunting in the morning, I wear a lot of clothing to bed so that when I wake up I'm not all warm and cozy under the sheets. Makes it easier to get out of bed I've learned.

This is the type of swamp where if you go down in the wrong spot you will just keep going down, there seems to be no bottom. So I let a few family members know that I would text them in the morning when I was all set up just in case. As I started my paddling it was actually no big deal. Some people may not realize, but you can really cover a lot of ground quickly with the kayak compared to walking through crap. The only hard part were the cat tails that would dam up around the corners of the creek. I only have that happened once but I had to reach for whatever I could with my paddle to pull myself over it. I used my GPS and onX Maps to know where I was when I arrived at my destination. I wore my waders until I got to my parking spot with my kayak and figured that I could walk on the cat tail blog with my insulated boots. It didn't take long until I had those puppies under water and my feet wet.

I thought I had a bunch of photos on my phone of all of the sign around the beds , but I guess I sent that to my buddies over Snapchat , and you know that's gone lol. I do have a few photos of My View From the tree stand, but I don't want to post those because it will give away my location to any locals. I sat for a few hours that morning and heard nothing in the cattails so I headed towards dry land and started looping around to try and figure out where all and any bedding was. As I approach the dry land I saw a bunch of non antler deer get up in some cedars and take off, so that gave me an idea of where for bedding was which actually helped with this hunt. From there I headed back to my kayak, and was all sweated up and smelly but made my way back to the truck.

Oh yes.. after that I swung by the local gas station and picked up two Donuts because Donuts are life!
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:51 am

PredatorTC wrote:
mt008 wrote:Well written, I like the perspective on hunting mature animals, it is a different ballgame, can be very challenging, but very fun at the same time. Congrats!

I would love to hear the full story of the 3:30 am kayak ride and wet feet, lol

I'm going to try posting a photo here the new way and see if it works..

https://postimg.org/gallery/1l3gjkbhy/
Here are a couple of photos I took that morning when I arrived at my destination.

I've always wanted to try accessing bedding this way but just never had the guts to do it in the middle of the night. The hardest part about getting up and doing something that you really don't want to do is the commitment, you just have to commit to it the night before and go for it otherwise when that alarm clock goes off you just won't do it. I've learned that if I ever tell myself I will decide when the alarm clock goes off, I can never do it. When I commit to going hunting in the morning, I wear a lot of clothing to bed so that when I wake up I'm not all warm and cozy under the sheets. Makes it easier to get out of bed I've learned.

This is the type of swamp where if you go down in the wrong spot you will just keep going down, there seems to be no bottom. So I let a few family members know that I would text them in the morning when I was all set up just in case. As I started my paddling it was actually no big deal. Some people may not realize, but you can really cover a lot of ground quickly with the kayak compared to walking through crap. The only hard part were the cat tails that would dam up around the corners of the creek. I only have that happened once but I had to reach for whatever I could with my paddle to pull myself over it. I used my GPS and onX Maps to know where I was when I arrived at my destination. I wore my waders until I got to my parking spot with my kayak and figured that I could walk on the cat tail blog with my insulated boots. It didn't take long until I had those puppies under water and my feet wet.

I thought I had a bunch of photos on my phone of all of the sign around the beds , but I guess I sent that to my buddies over Snapchat , and you know that's gone lol. I do have a few photos of My View From the tree stand, but I don't want to post those because it will give away my location to any locals. I sat for a few hours that morning and heard nothing in the cattails so I headed towards dry land and started looping around to try and figure out where all and any bedding was. As I approach the dry land I saw a bunch of non antler deer get up in some cedars and take off, so that gave me an idea of where for bedding was which actually helped with this hunt. From there I headed back to my kayak, and was all sweated up and smelly but made my way back to the truck.

Oh yes.. after that I swung by the local gas station and picked up two Donuts because Donuts are life!

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:15 pm

Great story.....great buck. Congrats Joe! :clap:
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:53 am

Joe, your a heck of a hunter man. Congrats on that stud!!!
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:13 am

Congrats!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Basinboy
500 Club

Unread postby Basinboy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:40 pm

:dance: :clap: :clap: Congrats!!!
rutjunkie

Unread postby rutjunkie » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:45 pm

Missed this one somehow, great story and buck! Congrats
There is only so many Novembers in ones life, make the most of them.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:24 am

PredatorTC wrote:
I just have to say.. To kill these holder deer, you really do sometimes have to think a little different. They just don't do what all the other deer are doing. Its different game and takes a different kind of mental patience. When I was young I wanted the first good buck that came by and I always wanted to impress everyone. The desire to impress others in a weakness. It leads to shortcuts, failure and a lack of good woodsman-ship.

Every single sentence there is absolutely 100% true in my eyes. Well put my friend. That's a top 10 deer hunting quote. A huge congrats on a well deserved trophy and great memories.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:46 am

The self filmed aspect, maturity of animal, and land available to all make that so so incredibly difficult. Congrats again
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”