PredatorTC Public Land Self Film.. Biggest buck to date!

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

<DK>
500 Club

Re: PredatorTC Public Land Self Film.. Biggest buck to date!

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:34 am

Looks like that moon chart worked out! U/F - 2:22pm :D Also the rise/set times were decent

hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:56 am

Love the story and buck! I have snort wheeZed in two 130+ class bucks with my mouth that I have taken. Sure is a weird feeling
JAB
500 Club

Unread postby JAB » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:58 am

He's a brute! I'm glad your plan came together, well done!
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:09 am

Great buck! And we'll earned. Congrats
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:50 am

Way to hunt him down!
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:56 am

Amazing effort! Congrats on the payoff and beautiful buck!
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Islandhunter

Unread postby Islandhunter » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:01 pm

Awesome buck and write up! Great job, thanks for sharing.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:30 pm

Dewey wrote:Joe you seem to have the bucks you kill patterned extremely well. What would you say is your number one method to doing this year after year? (Cameras, glassing, observation stands, shining) or maybe all of the above.

I’m very impressed how efficient you are with this. What you do year after year is something special. Every single buck I ever killed was the first time I ever laid eyes on him.

I think that it's a lot of different little things. When I used to live where I hunted, I would brag that I knew about every solid buck in the neighborhood and I think I did. But.. everything you mentioned. cameras, scouting, observation sits and a little bit of shinning. The shinning has become less and less. Fields are becoming over grown and its becoming a waste of time. Glassing was huge for me this year. Its safe to say that I've sat more times with a spotting scope this past summer than I have in a tree this season. The bucks that avoid you during the season obviously make themselves very visible in mid summer so that you can learn about them.

Using other people to gather intel is huge. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way either. I respect the people that help me gather intel through their shinning and trail cam pictures and they respect what I'm doing.

I'm learning a lot about trail cameras and they are tricky.. You kind of have to gauge the temperament of the buck that you are after and base that around how you use them. This buck didn't notice or respond to the back flash trail cams in a bad way. He did hate the low glow camera that I had and always spooked from it. I do put my trail cams in places where it wont catch the deer's eye and be noticeable. On this deer, I realized that he would let me use cameras to pattern him. When I placed the cameras in the more crucial spots, I did it just before rain and I would only check them on dates when I could hunt that night just in case i learned something from the trail cam photos. I check some cameras all the time where the deer tolerate it and others I will leave for a long time to learn what is in the area. I got this deer on camera the night before and I knew I needed to be in the area. Had I waited to check the camera, It would have been old intel. Its so important to get onto a deer when you know its there and I'm referring to a 24-48 hour window. Robert who is here on the forum ran into a similar thing recently. He called me and told me that he saw a buck in a field that he could hunt, but It was almost an hour after light. He wasn't sure what to do if he should run cameras or use observation stands and pattern him or what. Being the pre-rut in late October, I told him I would get my but in a tree NOW where he saw the buck come from. I sat with him the next night and filmed him crush his biggest buck to date. (140")

I have one buck that I have almost completely stopped running trial cams on. He picks off every camera, even in trees up high. Last winter he picked off a camera and was never on that camera again. I noticed that there was a new trail in the snow 20 yards behind the camera he picked off. I moved the camera back to that trial and BOOM, he was on it, picked it off and then never on it again. Some deer tolerate it and some don't.

Another thing... Just because hes not on camera does not mean he isn't there.

I think that the final and biggest thing is hunting specific bucks. No two bucks that I have ever hunted are the same so in my opinion, if your just hunting any deer, your really have to stick to the beast style hunting. The little weird things that I learn from each and every deer is so important for the the next chase. The small details that I learn from each and every deer can be applied to the next one.

Sorry for spelling and grammar mistakes. Been typing on the fly
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:31 pm

Awesome buck! Cool story how you hunted him down! Congrats!
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:36 pm

Congrats, great buck!
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:48 pm

Awesome buck and story

You are a legit killer. Impressive.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:49 pm

PredatorTC wrote:
Dewey wrote:Joe you seem to have the bucks you kill patterned extremely well. What would you say is your number one method to doing this year after year? (Cameras, glassing, observation stands, shining) or maybe all of the above.

I’m very impressed how efficient you are with this. What you do year after year is something special. Every single buck I ever killed was the first time I ever laid eyes on him.

I think that it's a lot of different little things. When I used to live where I hunted, I would brag that I knew about every solid buck in the neighborhood and I think I did. But.. everything you mentioned. cameras, scouting, observation sits and a little bit of shinning. The shinning has become less and less. Fields are becoming over grown and its becoming a waste of time. Glassing was huge for me this year. Its safe to say that I've sat more times with a spotting scope this past summer than I have in a tree this season. The bucks that avoid you during the season obviously make themselves very visible in mid summer so that you can learn about them.

Using other people to gather intel is huge. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way either. I respect the people that help me gather intel through their shinning and trail cam pictures and they respect what I'm doing.

I'm learning a lot about trail cameras and they are tricky.. You kind of have to gauge the temperament of the buck that you are after and base that around how you use them. This buck didn't notice or respond to the back flash trail cams in a bad way. He did hate the low glow camera that I had and always spooked from it. I do put my trail cams in places where it wont catch the deer's eye and be noticeable. On this deer, I realized that he would let me use cameras to pattern him. When I placed the cameras in the more crucial spots, I did it just before rain and I would only check them on dates when I could hunt that night just in case i learned something from the trail cam photos. I check some cameras all the time where the deer tolerate it and others I will leave for a long time to learn what is in the area. I got this deer on camera the night before and I knew I needed to be in the area. Had I waited to check the camera, It would have been old intel. Its so important to get onto a deer when you know its there and I'm referring to a 24-48 hour window. Robert who is here on the forum ran into a similar thing recently. He called me and told me that he saw a buck in a field that he could hunt, but It was almost an hour after light. He wasn't sure what to do if he should run cameras or use observation stands and pattern him or what. Being the pre-rut in late October, I told him I would get my but in a tree NOW where he saw the buck come from. I sat with him the next night and filmed him crush his biggest buck to date. (140")

I have one buck that I have almost completely stopped running trial cams on. He picks off every camera, even in trees up high. Last winter he picked off a camera and was never on that camera again. I noticed that there was a new trail in the snow 20 yards behind the camera he picked off. I moved the camera back to that trial and BOOM, he was on it, picked it off and then never on it again. Some deer tolerate it and some don't.

Another thing... Just because hes not on camera does not mean he isn't there.

I think that the final and biggest thing is hunting specific bucks. No two bucks that I have ever hunted are the same so in my opinion, if your just hunting any deer, your really have to stick to the beast style hunting. The little weird things that I learn from each and every deer is so important for the the next chase. The small details that I learn from each and every deer can be applied to the next one.

Sorry for spelling and grammar mistakes. Been typing on the fly

Those are some really cool and honestly very impressive observations Joe. Really a lot to take away from this
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:58 pm

Awesome. Congrats man
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:14 pm

That's a good one, congrats.
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:28 pm

What a Hunt - What a Buck love It

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”