Killing Dad's Deer

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Killing Dad's Deer

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:19 am

Not really sure how to begin this topic post. I will start by saying this particular deer held a lot of meaning to me. I am sure many or most on here have chased a target buck from trail cam picture, previous sightings etc. However this went farther than that for me.

In 2015 this buck looked like he may have had the genetics to turn into a special deer for our region. My best friend and I began saving pictures and patterning this buck in 2015 when he was 3.5 years old. I will try not to feed much into the idea of how he was a "shooter class deer" in 2015 for the county and end of the state I live on. There are many good deer taken in NE TN just not often found in comparison to middle to western portions of our state.

To get to the meaning of this deer, to me: Early 2015 my Dad was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. Pops was passing away fast. He told me how he would love to take another buck before he passed away. My buddy and I made a setup that would be easy to get Dad to, even if I had to carry him or use a wheelchair.

We were getting regular pictures of this deer and thought we had a good grip on his travel pattern and bedding. As season became closer, Dad continued to get worse. By the time season rolled around my Dad was in hospice care only to pass away a couple weeks after season opened. I was heart broken by my dads passing, as he truly was my best friend in this whole world. He never was a hunter per say, but he always took me as a child because he knew the passion I have for deer hunting. Dad drover over the road and when he would come home for a day and a half on the weekend, he would still make time to take me hunting on his short time off. I felt almost like his last hunt request, was a hunt he wanted to give to me and remember forever.

I didn't do much hunting in 2015. Every time I tried to sit a stand, thought of my dad and soooo many of the good times we shared would fill my head. I used the 2015 season more as a get away to be alone and grieve.

So pass forward to 2016, my buddy and I were determined to take this buck! He had put on some inches and was looking like a stud at 4.5 We tried to play our hands and beat this buck in his house. I was beginning to think I had really over pressured this guy (and in reality I DID) I However, I had a shot opportunity on Dec 10th and blew it. I let my nerves get me, buck fever, choked, whatever you want to call it, I had it, and clean missed the deer 100%

The buck stayed away with only giving us a couple pictures until the closing day, Last day of the season, he graced a couple of our cams, kinda telling us he was still here and the he had won the war of 2016.

We never let up on this guy, through out the summer and fall we were as prepared as we were going to be to kill this buck in 2017! I had vowed not to take any out of state hunts, or any weekend get away trips etc until this buck would lay dead in one of our trucks.

We had the property littered with trail cams. I literally have this bucks picture everyday from late August until the day I killed him. I waited until he gave us a daylight picture before moving in on him. First daylight pic was Nov 8th, it was the last couple minutes prior to closing time.

We had a cold front pushing in on the 11th. So on the 11th I was setup an hour and 20 mins before light waiting to intercept him going to his bedroom. During this wait for daylight, thoughts of my dad were taking over. I was sitting in the setup I made for Dad. As I kept drying my eyes, it felt almost like Dad told me to cut it out and get back to the task as hand. It wasn't 10 minutes after I gathered myself up until I laid eyes on our target.

He was coming through the woods alone, nose wasn't down,he wasn't in a rush, he was just at a steady walk. At 7:16 am I was able to push a 195gr Barnes Expander through both lungs from a smokeless muzzle loader. The deer went on his last run, and in less than 100 yards later he laid dead. The game was over with this buck.

I sent my buddy a text who was on the other end of the state hunting that weekend and told him I just shoot big boy. After talking to Jimmy a few minutes I called my daughter and it was such an emotional moment for me. I told her "I finally killed Dads buck."

This was a special buck for me. I have been thinking of posting or not. I wanted to do a post showing the terrain features, and how we determined his travel routes and bedding areas, but I simply cannot post any maps due and keep the privacy of this property. So I thought I would rather go in the direction and share what a special Dad I had, and how he was smiling down from Heaven with me when I laid hands on this deer!

If I decide to enter this deer in our states registry, he will land either #3 or #4 the current #3 record is 143 so we will be close to one another's score. Both 1 an 2 have been long time records from 1972 My buck green grosses 143 4/8 on an 8pt frame.

I feel very blessed in being able to take this deer. Thanks for reading and letting me share my story with y'all, Tony.
Last edited by backstraps on Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

Edcyclopedia

Re: Killing Dad's Deer

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:21 am

Spectacular! :clap: :dance:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:36 am

Congrats on a great 8 backstraps! :clap: :clap:

A lot of time and effort went into that buck. Well done.

Great story. Sorry for the loss of your father.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:42 am

Emotional story. I've been there. Congrats
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:52 am

Wonderful story man and awesome buck! Congrats!
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:08 am

Great story, thanks for posting that up. Congrats on a GREAT buck!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:04 am

Excellent story. Congrats. :clap:

I know the pain that you feel all too well Tony. We can take comfort knowing that our Dad’s are with us on every hunt. I truly believe that.

The season after my Dad passed I was having a very tough season emotionally being the first without my Dad. One day later in the season I was on stand feeling a little down with everything and lack of buck sightings when I suddenly looked up at the heavens and said “Dad I need a little help here” and shortly after I ended up having the best hunt I ever had in my life. I have no explanation for what happened or why 15 bucks ended up in front of me that day. Seemed like every buck from miles made an appearance for me and considering the location it still makes no sense. Sure I can blame it on a hot doe but I truly think Dad played a part in making that happen. After killing one of the last bucks and finally laying my hands on the antlers I was overcome with emotion and not ashamed to say the tears were flowing. I will never forget that day and honestly believe it will never be topped. It all happened that way for a reason.

I never told that entire story to anyone before except my wife but felt it needed to be told here. I still get goosebumps thinking about what transpired that day. I think your Dad played a big part in your hunt as well. It gives us a sense that everything will be alright. I’m not a real spiritual person but after that day and other things that happened since then that I simply cannot explain I’m a believer now. Thanks for sharing your story Tony. It really brought back some treasured memories for me and I’m sure a number of others here that lost their best friend and father. Talking about this stuff helps us heal.
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:20 am

Wow good writeup. That deer definitely means a lot, huge congratulations for being able to now have that memory on the wall.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:26 am

Huge buck! Congrats :clap:
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:24 pm

Dewey wrote:Excellent story. Congrats. :clap:

I know the pain that you feel all too well Tony. We can take comfort knowing that our Dad’s are with us on every hunt. I truly believe that.

The season after my Dad passed I was having a very tough season emotionally being the first without my Dad. One day later in the season I was on stand feeling a little down with everything and lack of buck sightings when I suddenly looked up at the heavens and said “Dad I need a little help here” and shortly after I ended up having the best hunt I ever had in my life. I have no explanation for what happened or why 15 bucks ended up in front of me that day. Seemed like every buck from miles made an appearance for me and considering the location it still makes no sense. Sure I can blame it on a hot doe but I truly think Dad played a part in making that happen. After killing one of the last bucks and finally laying my hands on the antlers I was overcome with emotion and not ashamed to say the tears were flowing. I will never forget that day and honestly believe it will never be topped. It all happened that way for a reason.

I never told that entire story to anyone before except my wife but felt it needed to be told here. I still get goosebumps thinking about what transpired that day. I think your Dad played a big part in your hunt as well. It gives us a sense that everything will be alright. I’m not a real spiritual person but after that day and other things that happened since then that I simply cannot explain I’m a believer now. Thanks for sharing your story Tony. It really brought back some treasured memories for me and I’m sure a number of others here that lost their best friend and father. Talking about this stuff helps us heal.

Thanks guys!!

Thanks Dewey!! I suppose there are many others on here that can relate to our stories.

When I finally got to my buck, I had my daughter on the phone and actually scared her a bit because I started crying like child. Emotions and thoughts of my dad took over. More than this grown man could handle.
When she asked me if I was okay, I couldn't say anything but, " yes i'm fine, I just killed Dads buck" She knew how much that deer meant to me both then and now.
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:26 pm

Great story & congrats, thanks for sharing, Mike
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:28 pm

8-) :clap: :handgestures-thumbup:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:30 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

WOW! Great write up and amazing deer! Very sorry to hear about your Dad....
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:35 pm

Man I dont want to bother ya w questions. But w that much history and great buck... Id like to hear anything you can talk about for historical data similarities he had season to season. Was he in select places every year at the same time period?
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:18 pm

Congrats cool story thanks for sharing
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”