One late gift under the tree

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: One late gift under the tree

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:23 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
JoeRE wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
JoeRE wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
JoeRE wrote:Awesome season man, congrats again!

Thanks man! U better keep a tight grip on that coat I got my eye on it ;)

Haha come and get it. Not sure if it ever gets cold enough to wear it down by you. Might get heatstroke ;)

Was gonna cut the sleeves off and go road warrior style...It’s nice man I like it! Was saying not long ago I wanted one out of bobcat, but after hearing how many pelts yours took I scratch that idea. Goin after some bigger targets maybe giraffe or Hereford steer.

Haha the problem with bigger critters is the leather ends up weighing so much. I wouldn't even want to make one out of coon pelts - it would weigh twice as much I bet. Coyote is perfect, bobcat would be good too. Muskrat would be good but dear lord the stitching!

So my plan is this year to make a vest. That will be more versatile I think. I think I need 5...have 3 in the freezer already :twisted:

Bet beaver would be good too and would take way less pelts if you get some big ones.

That would be nice Dewey! I hear there’s a guy on here who’s the beaver whisperer... Lmao sorry when that guy posted the pic of that beaver rub line I bout choked on my snuff and fell out the tree. I have high numbers of nutrias here which would be easier for me to get number pelts needed and guessing be just as good.

I knew you would catch onto the beaver connection. ;)

That was a crazy day. I was deep in beaver bedding territory. Could have had enough pelts to make two coats. :lol:

I hate beavers. I will have to see if I can find the video of what they did to one of my favorite islands. All my good trees to sit in were taken down. :angry-banghead:

Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:31 am

Dewey wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
JoeRE wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
JoeRE wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:

Haha come and get it. Not sure if it ever gets cold enough to wear it down by you. Might get heatstroke ;)

Was gonna cut the sleeves off and go road warrior style...It’s nice man I like it! Was saying not long ago I wanted one out of bobcat, but after hearing how many pelts yours took I scratch that idea. Goin after some bigger targets maybe giraffe or Hereford steer.

Haha the problem with bigger critters is the leather ends up weighing so much. I wouldn't even want to make one out of coon pelts - it would weigh twice as much I bet. Coyote is perfect, bobcat would be good too. Muskrat would be good but dear lord the stitching!

So my plan is this year to make a vest. That will be more versatile I think. I think I need 5...have 3 in the freezer already :twisted:

Bet beaver would be good too and would take way less pelts if you get some big ones.

That would be nice Dewey! I hear there’s a guy on here who’s the beaver whisperer... Lmao sorry when that guy posted the pic of that beaver rub line I bout choked on my snuff and fell out the tree. I have high numbers of nutrias here which would be easier for me to get number pelts needed and guessing be just as good.

That was a crazy day. I was deep in beaver bedding territory. Could have had enough pelts to make two coats. :lol:

I hate beavers. I will have to see if I can find the video of what they did to one of my favorite islands. All my good trees to sit in were taken down. :angry-banghead:

They do the samething when I sink fresh brush in boat slips to bring in the crappie. Dang vultures
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:26 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
JoeRE wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
JoeRE wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:

They do the samething when I sink fresh brush in boat slips to bring in the crappie. Dang vultures

Another perspective on beavers...the four legged ones :lol: ...I have found some great big woods whitetail hunting around beaver meadows and the travel corridors around ponds. Nature's clear cutters. They create more food for deer than otherwise would be there.

I made a beaver fur hat once. Beaver hide is darn near as heavy as cow leather. A coat would weigh 30+ lbs I bet :lol:
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:45 pm

JoeRE wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
JoeRE wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
JoeRE wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:

Another perspective on beavers...the four legged ones :lol: ...I have found some great big woods whitetail hunting around beaver meadows and the travel corridors around ponds. Nature's clear cutters. They create more food for deer than otherwise would be there.

I made a beaver fur hat once. Beaver hide is darn near as heavy as cow leather. A coat would weigh 30+ lbs I bet :lol:

Joe, your busy schedule cost u the best live feed of the year! Dewey some how managed to line up on the first beaver in heat in the area and had a action packed sit will all kinds of chasing taking place around the tree. Mr. Dew no punt intended I’m the most accident prone hunter alive so I’m sure retaliation is on the horizon feel free I just found the misfortune on the funny side
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:43 pm

Glad I could provide some entertainment Boogie. 8-)

It’s on page 222 of the Live From The Field thread if anybody wants to relive it.

Just when you think you saw everything mother nature one ups you. :lol:
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:52 am

Here's acouple pics of Swoops I found for anyone who is interested. There from last season but he's always been an 8 and looks the same this year. Pic is 50 yards from his bed on a scrape at a open gate.

-John Wayne-
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:56 pm

Not sure how I missed this thread. This is great, I also read thru your journal I love your attitude. Congrats man.

Love the photo, I have the same face tube but in green LOL!
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:29 am

PK_ wrote:Not sure how I missed this thread. This is great, I also read thru your journal I love your attitude. Congrats man.

Love the photo, I have the same face tube but in green LOL!

Thanks man! U guys who head out of state with limited time on those whitetail road trips and lay down toads is just awesome. Might not be for me, but it sure is fun to follow along. I particularly like the EAST BOUND &DOWN, on the road with PK. Powered by Dunkin Donuts Coffee! What's in your cup? ;) :lol: :lol:
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”