One late gift under the tree

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

One late gift under the tree

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:44 am

It seems another season comes to a end for me today, I’m both extremely happy and a lil sad that it is all over. I put a lot of my thought process out there for all to see, not to show any kind of special skill or talent. I hunt pretty much basic, I keep things simple. I voice my thoughts Incase there someone just starting out who is down on there luck and thinks it’s just so easy for everyone else and wanna fold up there tent and tuck there tail. There is power in positive thinking and perseverance! I don’t know how many days are in a hunting season, but I look at it as I only have to be right one time out of all those days. If u keep at, stay mobile, and believe in your heart it’s just a matter of time good things will happen.
So here’s the story of my buck, yesterday while everyone was opening presents I kept watching the weather, showing cold weather coming with sleet and drizzling rain and even better a east wind that was gonna turn to the North mid morning. Cold drizzling rain is my fav conditions and I have been planning a ambush for over a month on a buck I named Swoops. This deer has gave me the slip for 4 years I have never even laid eyes on him. I know exactly where he beds with any North wind, but it is unhuntable. In 4 years I have got one daylight pic of this deer and at the time made no sense. Basically just walking a brushy fencerow at high noon in early September. Then I discovered his bed was in that direction and upon further review through weather history that day had a midday wind switch from east to the north, same exact conditions I had today.
I headed to the woods a lil earlier than usual just because I was excited and couldn’t wait no more. My stand was in the bottom of a super thick point where it meets the brushy fencerow. Sand is in a cedar no more than 7ft off the ground, shortly after daylight a group of 5 does come down the point and are searching for acorns on the edge of the open woods. I hear grunting coming my way but not from where I expected, it was coming from the fence row to the point. Turned out to be a young 6pt but right b4 he got to the does he slammed on the breaks and just starred in the timber to my left which was blowing right at him. I slowly turn my head and just see horns above the small understory 15 yards away. I was already in position when he started to move my way. I could hear the crunchy leaves as he approached then all went quite for seemed like 10 min and the young buck left. I could not see due to being blocked by the thick cedar I’m in and I was getting ancy. Then the leaves crunched again and in a split second he was right under me at 5 yards I let him pass and opted for a quartering away shot. When his head went behind a tiny cedar I drew and shot, he was 8 yards. Close enough I heard the echo of snuffing out his life’s flame. I then began puking my guts out, adrenaline overload I guess or maybe I swallowed my snuff I don’t remember. I just remember thinking I finally got him, I got swoops! Upon recovery I realized it wasn’t swoops lol! I don’t know who the heck this sucker is but happy with him none the less. And yet again swoops gave me the slip, but there’s always next year. Sorry for the novel, and to anyone with a tag left it can happen in the blink of an eye, the important thing is to be there when it does. Happy Holidays everyone

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
thwack16
500 Club

Re: One late gift under the tree

Unread postby thwack16 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:51 am

Awesome buck Boogie! Even better when taken with traditional equipment. Congrats on a fine season, one that I've really enjoyed following!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:05 am

Great job on an awesome buck. You earned him. :clap:
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:09 am

Great job Boogie !!! That's a great looking buck. Way to stick with it and great story.
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:13 am

that awesome.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:48 am

Very nice. Congratulations on a nice buck. Love the picture.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:50 am

Good job keeping after it man. So were you hunting the bucks bed or close to it? How far do you think you were from his bed and was he heading to it when you shot him or just feeding with the does?

Big congrats on that one :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:32 am

Congrats on a great buck
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:45 am

Spectacular! :clap:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:51 am

Congrats on the grinder! You earned that buck
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:55 am

Congrats Boogieman. Awesome buck. I appreciate your contributions to the site as well man.

Chad
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:28 pm

RidgeGhost wrote:Good job keeping after it man. So were you hunting the bucks bed or close to it? How far do you think you were from his bed and was he heading to it when you shot him or just feeding with the does?

Big congrats on that one :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I would say I was probably 300 yards away from the bed. This particular bed is just one that the buck absolutely has everything in his advantage and due to property lines I found it unhuntable. Basically, the property to the south is high fenced to keep deer out, it’s some kind of nursery. Where that fence meets the property I’m hunting forms a corner, in that corner is a overgrown lil stock tank 30 yards off a f.m road with the only entry gate to the property 50 yards away. It relatively just grown up cattle pasture with a brushy drainage which leads to the brushy fencerow up through the open woods to the point I was hunting. He beds on backside of dam of pond, anything North blows over his back to that protected high fence, if u try to enter property he slides out that brushy drainage and is gone b4 your hunt began and he goes to and from only in darkness. The buck I shot I suspect was bedded in the oxbow of the high traffic point scent checking does as they made there way in from the field. Think he got a whiff of the does and prob that young buck and just came by to see what was going on. Think it was just a matter of being in the right place in thick cover at the right time
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:55 pm

Congratulations! Great buck! :clap:
Basinboy
500 Club

Unread postby Basinboy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:03 pm

Great buck congrats!
Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:28 pm

Congrats, awesome buck :clap:
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”