2017 Season in Photos

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kraftd
500 Club

Re: 2017 Season in Photos

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:08 am

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Not much else to say. That coat is the thing dreams are made of.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:57 am

stash59 wrote:Knew you must have been having a busy season. But as usual you pulled it off again. Love to see more detail on how you made that coat if you have the time. After your buddies buck that's what impressed me most about this year. Wish I had some coyote pelts laying around!!! 8-) 8-) 8-) :handgestures-thumbup:

So I started from scratch, looked up the only pattern for a parka that I could find online. Note its a women's parka :lol:

https://www.uaf.edu/files/ces/publications-db/catalog/hec/CCM-00072.pdf

I scaled it up using a projector and traced out the pattern on a wall on just newspaper first based on some measurements I took of myself - arms and chest that sort of thing. I also took it in a bit at the hips and wider at the shoulders to fit a mans torso.

I stapled the pieces of newspaper together and tried it on - just a very crude and very fast way of seeing how it would fit on me. Another round of modifications and then I traced it out on butcher block paper to be my final pattern.

I then cut out the liner pieces from some fleece - just bought a few yards at walmart. I stitched together the liner using a sewing machine. It also has heavy felt interfacing reinforcing the shoulders like the instructions say. My pattern is probably roughly size 2XL Tall now...

I tanned, fleshed and broke the pelts myself, have done that before. My brother has a fleshing machine which made that a lot faster. Coyote pelts are easy to break after tanning, very thin hide. I tanned 10 pelts and used 9.

Then it was just cutting out pieces and stitching together using a speedy stitcher. Then stitching the fur shell to the felt liner. So a lot of hand stitching....

All together it took about 40 hours of labor which is less than I thought it would. 2 hours here 1 hour there, I got it done over a 2 month period this spring. It helped I have worked with fur before just nothing this size. Hand fleshing would have taken a lot longer.

Its definately bulky but compresses way down with a compression sack like you would use for a sleeping bag. Warm is an understatement - I can wear it while stand hunting if temps are in the 30s and below. I carry it in a compression sack to the stand, I always carried my outer layer to the stand anyway. I can wear it while walking if its down close to zero. Any warmer and I would get heat stroke walking around in it!

It is the best thing I have seen in this super cold weather. I have sat for hours at a time and been toasty warm. the only thing it doesn't affect is your feet and I have plans for some fur boot liners now...I can't imagine anything man made being as warm that didn't come with a built in heater.

It looks great from a distance but all the pelts would have been worthless for market value, all the pelts were in pretty bad shape. It was made to be a hunting coat. I was gonna be wading thru brush with it and was fine with rubbed up fur. Most people might not even notice. So this kind of thing is a great use for fur that might be otherwise worthless.

Anyway, yea it turned out a lot better than I expected frankly. Pretty tickled with it. And I get the strange urge when putting it on to chase something down and kill it with my teeth. :lol: The old ones might say the coyote spirits come hunt with that coat....I am happy to let them tag along.
Last edited by JoeRE on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
mnswamphunter

Unread postby mnswamphunter » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:02 am

Nice Job! :clap:
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:04 am

JoeRE wrote:
stash59 wrote:Knew you must have been having a busy season. But as usual you pulled it off again. Love to see more detail on how you made that coat if you have the time. After your buddies buck that's what impressed me most about this year. Wish I had some coyote pelts laying around!!! 8-) 8-) 8-) :handgestures-thumbup:

So I started from scratch, looked up the only pattern for a parka that I could find online. Note its a women's parka :lol:

https://www.uaf.edu/files/ces/publications-db/catalog/hec/CCM-00072.pdf

I scaled it up using a projector and traced out the pattern on a wall on just newspaper first based on some measurements I took of myself - arms and chest that sort of thing. I also took it in a bit at the hips and wider at the shoulders to fit a mans torso.

I stapled the pieces of newspaper together and tried it on - just a very crude way of seeing how it would fit on me. Another round of modifications and then I traced it out on butcher block paper.

I then cut out the liner pieces from some fleece - just bought a few yards at walmart. I stitched together the liner using a sewing machine. It also has heavy felt interfacing reinforcing the shoulders like the instructions say. My pattern is probably roughly size 2XL Tall now...

I tanned, fleshed and broke the pelts myself, have done that before. My brother has a fleshing machine which made that a lot faster. Coyote pelts are easy to break after tanning, very thin hide. I tanned 10 pelts and used 9.

Then it was just cutting out pieces and stitching together using a speedy stitcher. Then stitching the fur shell to the felt liner. So a lot of hand stitching....

All together it took about 40 hours of labor which is less than I thought it would. 2 hours here 1 hour there, I got it done over a 2 month period this spring. It helped I have worked with fur before just nothing this size. Hand fleshing would have taken a lot longer.

Its definately bulky but compresses way down with a compression sack like you would use for a sleeping bag. Warm is an understatement - I can wear it while stand hunting if temps are in the 30s and below. I carry it in a compression sack to the stand, I always carried my outer layer to the stand anyway. I can wear it while walking if its down close to zero. Any warmer and I would get heat stroke walking around in it!

It is the best thing I have seen in this super cold weather. I have sat for hours at a time and been toasty warm. the only thing it doesn't affect is your feet and I have plans for some fur boot liners now...I can't imagine anything man made being as warm that didn't come with a built in heater.

It looks great from a distance but all the pelts would have been worthless for market value, all the pelts were in pretty bad shape. It was made to be a hunting coat. I was gonna be wading thru brush with it and was fine with rubbed up fur. Most people might not even notice. So this kind of thing is a great use for fur that might be otherwise worthless.

Anyway, yea it turned out a lot better than I expected frankly. Pretty tickled with it. And I get the strange urge when putting it on to chase something down and kill it with my teeth. :lol: The old ones might say the coyote spirits come hunt with that coat....I am happy to let them tag along.

:handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Any plans for complimentary pants/bibs?
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:08 am

stash59 wrote:
JoeRE wrote:
:handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Any plans for complimentary pants/bibs?

I have been thinking about it. But would have to be fur side in...darn briars and stick tights would tear them up fast.

I want to do a vest. that would be versatile. That's my plan this spring...need 5 pelts and have 3 so far this fall/winter!

Another thing if anyone wondered, no it doesn't interfere with shooting my bow. Hair is just short enough. If someone has too long of a draw length and overextends their elbow it might though.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:12 am

I would be afraid of getting shot wearing that coat. There are some real lunatics out there. :o
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:15 am

Dewey wrote:I would be afraid of getting shot wearing that coat. There are some real lunatics out there. :o

That crossed my mind also. Especially while Joe's wearing it. Could be mistaken for a teenage bigfoot!!!! ;) :lol:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:24 am

:clap: :clap: :clap:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
JAB
500 Club

Unread postby JAB » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:17 am

Congratulations, Joe, on another great year! Your attention to details and scouting time obviously really pay off, well done! Love your coat too.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:30 pm

stash59 wrote:
Dewey wrote:I would be afraid of getting shot wearing that coat. There are some real lunatics out there. :o

That crossed my mind also. Especially while Joe's wearing it. Could be mistaken for a teenage bigfoot!!!! ;) :lol:

It is a concern! That's another reason I don't wear it walking around much besides how warm it is. Up in a tree I am less concerned. When its super cold I wear my whites over it because there's snow on the ground, was this year anyway. Really though...lots of guys see coyote fur, they start shooting. So yea I am careful. Its NOT a concern to disregard.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:35 pm

Most of the pics won't come up in this pole barn I'm in, but I can see I want your coat.

Congrats on the other stuff. :D :D ;)
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:47 pm

JoeRE wrote:
stash59 wrote:

It is a concern! That's another reason I don't wear it walking around much besides how warm it is. Up in a tree I am less concerned. When its super cold I wear my whites over it because there's snow on the ground, was this year anyway. Really though...lots of guys see coyote fur, they start shooting. So yea I am careful. Its NOT a concern to disregard.

"Look at the size of the coyote, in that tree" :shock:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:58 pm

Forgot to say thanks for the bullet information, I’ll be buying Barnes based on your post. I have the same muzzleloader as you and have used shockwaves. Last year I lost a buck, had nothing for blood. Neighbors found it in the winter in a tangle of autumn olives not far from where I shot it.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:53 pm

Great season and pics Joe....congrats! :clap:
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:13 am

Great write-up Joe as usually. Sounds like you had a fun and rewarding season. :clap:

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”