Da Bruiser

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

yungbuck
500 Club

Da Bruiser

Unread postby yungbuck » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:35 pm

I will say it is a very rewarding feeling being able to post to this thread 3 of the last 4 years! I will blow a little smoke then dive through my roller coaster season. I owe much of my learnings and progress to the fantastic hunting beast site so thank you Dan and all of you guys that are always helping make this place awesome! Ill give a snap shot journal of my season and I will say thank you to my wife and the good Lord who make all this possible!
Now to the season
Opener missed a big doe at 12 yards, whiffed completely wasn’t sure what happened- got down packed up my gear and had another doe blow at me from 25 yards while I was putting my stand away, lessoned learned (stand in stand even if you whiff and does blow out, more may come through)
Oct 2 saw a nice 8 in the morning coming back to bed- moved for pm sit and doubled up on some does first one came in at 445pm smoked her and she fell over 30 yards later- second came through about an hour later steep shot angle since she was dang near under my stand single lung nicked the heart- quite a turn around from the opener and my first double
Oct 13, 14, 15, 16 got skunked on bucks, saw a few deer was hitting some public land pretty far back no hunter sign but wasn’t on the deer
Oct 29 missed another doe and this time my hat about fell off ahhhhhh, mystery solved on why I whiffed on the doe opener my hat has a string on it that was catching my bow string- another clean miss and lesson learned
Oct 30 took a long access over a mile into a bed- two bucks came out first was a 2 yr old 6 moved around me a little out of range, second was an 2 yr old 8 gave him the pass at 10 yds- good sit but not what I was looking for
Nov 3 skunked
Nov 4 saw a deer at last light, not sure buck or doe
Nov 6 waded through waste deep running water to cross a ditch that is normally crossable got to my kill tree to realize it was flooded and the bed I was going to sit over was also under water- lesson learned (don’t hunt this bed when you get multiple inches of rain in an evening) moved to another area tripped on a wire fell on my face, got setup saw a buck and a doe near bedding no other encounter on my way out tripped over another but different wire fence this time landing in a mature thorn bush- joy hahah
Nov 7 tried to sit too low in an overlooked funnel wind swirled too much got down for the day
Nov 8 skunked did some scouting with stand on my back for future sits
Nov 9 another deep access on public land- saw a 6 pt, only deer sat until 2pm moved to a pm buck bed sit had 4-5 does come through and a really nice 8 but he came in 2 minutes after legal hunting hours
Nov 10 skunked
Nov 18- Finally Tagged a big boy! I had hunted harder and smart this fall than ever before. It was truly a gift and a reward to land this old boy. Setup on some state ground for a hilly country morning hunt. Was hunting with my beast brother Bobbo (we double up that day!) and while guns cracked off around Indiana we were going in with bows, and getting the job done! I had scouted this area back in 2016 but hadn’t had a chance to hunt it yet. I knew from aerials it was a good ridge and deer would be moving through. I split the difference on my access between the lee ward tunnel and the top. I figured does would move through the top eating acorns and so I didn’t want my scent up there and I figured it wise to stay off the leeward tunnel trail. On my hike in I could see a nice rub line on the leeward trail, rubs were tall and gave you that little boost of confidence. I moved past a little cut that would pinch the deer up towards my tree and got setup and sure enough 20 minutes before daylight I have a doe on top of the ridge munching on acorns she gave me a nice broadside shot but it was still too early for hunting! She moved down the ridge before legal shooting light but it was a great start to the hunt. Saw another deer early and the body size was really big, but couldn’t tell buck or doe. Sunrise finally kicks in and its game time. Hear some feet moving and I saw a big yote on the ridge, he came from the bottom stopped at my access trail and shot back down into the bottom- never a good sign IMO. About 40 minutes later I look over my left shoulder: Nice Buck! He is using the wind to his advantage moving through the lee tunnel. If I let him keep coming down the trail past my tree I will have a perfect broadside shot at 18 yards, but I was afraid if he got behind my tree that my scent would be falling still. I hadn’t checked the wind for a few minutes and I wasn’t confident in the thermal yet so I was going to have to take a quartering to shot- which I don’t like. As he got within 20 yards either he saw me or caught a wiff of me. He stopped and turned a bit. I let the arrow fly. Spined him and he drops in his tracks. I didn’t take into account the elevation angle as well as I should have. He was still moving so I put another arrow in him- couldn’t see if it hit or not and my adrenaline was at an all time high. I got down from the tree and put two more in him just to make sure. I had heard stories of spined deer getting up and running away and wanted to make sure he was anchored. It was pretty humbling to experience all of that but in reality he expired pretty quickly and all of my follow up arrows hit the mark. He was a bruiser and I was more than proud to wrap my tag on him! I left him lay for a bit as I regained my mind and packed up my gear, sure enough thermals kicked in because all I could smell was rutting buck- boy did he smell delicious. As I walked up on him I realized I had just killed the oldest buck of my life. He had one eye jabbed out and multiple puncture wounds in his cape so I know one thing he was a fighter. He is a nice heavy main frame 8 with a kicker off his base, a crab claw left side and a small tine coming off the inside of his left g2. He is an 11 pt but 10 score able solid 130’s buck. His bases are both 6.5 inches and his tarsals were the biggest blackest smelliest things I’ve ever seen. His teeth were really wore down and he was a definition of a mature beast! My guess is 5 or 6 or older honestly. Owe this success to the beast tactics leeward side, hang and hunt, never set foot on this land this season, scouting on the way in, and having that super confidence that it will happen. the deer sleigh was a big help getting him up the ridge and to the truck (much easier than the 5 hr drag last years buck) This spot definitely has my attention and I will certainly be throwing some hunts at it in the years to come! Life has been busy and crazy and wonderful so I apologize about the delay in getting posted but better late than never!
2017 was a grind with many lessons learned and I cannot wait to start scouting for 2018!
Girls were proud of their daddy my oldest said "way to go daddy you killed a grandpa buck" (we have been working on her ability to age bucks hahahah)
Me and Bobbo went also put the hurt on some does this fall! Quadrupled up!

nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
Lockdown

Re: Da Bruiser

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:50 pm

What a year! Congrats that definitely is an old bruiser!
bigbucks1234

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:58 pm

Beautiful buck!!!! Congrats on an awesome season :clap:
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:14 pm

:dance: Nice man, great job and stud of a buck
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:04 pm

Great season.....congrats! :clap:
MikePerry

Unread postby MikePerry » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:15 pm

Great season congratulations
Persistence pays!!!
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:18 pm

Congrats! Great pic with your kids.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:36 pm

Spectacular! :clap:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:12 am

Beautiful deer! Nothing beats that feeling and the kids getting into the excitement is icing on the cake!!

Those battle wounds are cool, gonna make a cool mount
Make It Happen
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:09 am

Great job, congrats
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:34 am

Looks like a great season!!!!
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:57 am

Swampbuck wrote:Beautiful deer! Nothing beats that feeling and the kids getting into the excitement is icing on the cake!!

Those battle wounds are cool, gonna make a cool mount

asked my taxi to put in a blind/gouged left eye, will be interesting to see what he comes up with
made lots of mistakes this season and learned some lessons, but the freezer is truly full and was an awesome 2017
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:15 am

:shock: Wow! Great buck! Congrats on a awesome season
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:29 am

Congrats yungbuck! You are one consistent killer. Nice to see you had a great season!
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
RDubs44

Unread postby RDubs44 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:07 am

Lots of venny! Congrats on a great season.

I enjoy reading everybodies kills. Provides great examples to learn from.
Last edited by RDubs44 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”