Postby Dressedtokill » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:48 pm

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Postby Dressedtokill » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:48 pm

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:12 am

Sorry for the long post but 2017 and the Hunting Beast tactics were good to me this year….

I have never really looked for beds where I Hunt in NC, that being said I had general ideas of possible beds but never to the extent of what’s talked about by Dan and others on the Beast. So with that being said I’d first like to say thank you Dan and other Beast members for the knowledge given on this website and in Dan’s Podcast.
First Kill:
It was September and Deer season had already started and I kept hearing Dan say to go scout find where they spend a big portion of their day which I had no clue on this farm. I had been seeing three shooters on this farm in August in a bachelor group but since season started they had shifted towards night time movement and was only getting one on camera now(it’s almost like they know). One thing that stuck out to me that Dan had said was “Pretend like everything in this world is after you, where would you go?” So I started thinking about this and I went to a little patch of woods that gets over looked more than you could imagine and guess what its right next to a road. Sure enough there was more buck sign in this spot than I’ve seen and I found a too good beds on the military crest of the hills one east facing one west facing. Seen in picture 1 (not the best picture).

After I had ran a camera in there for a little while because I knew I wasn’t going to be able to hunt for a while due to family arrangements. I was confirmed, there they were on an N-NE wind using those beds and I had found two of the three bucks from summer and the pictures where around 530pm. It was an eye opener for sure. So mid-October I finally get a chance to go in and hunt this spot. Had not picked out a tree but had an idea where I wanted to be, right in between the two beds. So I threw the long wolf and sticks on my back and in we go. I had told myself I was giving it two hunts then pulling set and backing out. Nothing on the first day, so now we go back in the next day and what do you know at 6:00pm an hour and a half before dark I release an arrow on a 110” 9 point at 17 yards. Killed him on video STOKED

Second Hunt:
This was an unbelievable story to me and I hope I can do it justice by typing this. On October 22 2016 Im running late but I wanted to be in the stand due to a big cold front had pasted thru. So I go to a spot where I have had a stand pre hung hoping to see a big 8 pointer that I had seen earlier that year. Little did I know a deer I named Lucky stepped out and he was a HUGE 12 pointer biggest deer I’ve ever had the privilege to hunt. So he walks out and gave me a shot at 35 yards which I couldn’t take do to a limb in the way he feeds out in front of me and now is at 45 yards and this is out of my range but I had a clean shot and bam on video I miss him low right, clean miss. So now I have to get this deer killed. I spent the rest of the season chasing him with no luck but had trail camera pictures of him thru November into December. I started to study why he was there where he was bedding and trying to put together a way to kill him and trying to get more land in the surrounding area to hunt with no luck. I started running cameras in this area in July of 2017 and wouldn’t check it but once a month due to being near where I thought he was bedding. July nothing, August Nothing, September Nothing, then October 23 2017 a year after I missed him at 530am I get pictures of him going into the bedding area and I knew it was on at this point. Hunted him twice in October and once in the beginning of November with no luck and his scraped hadn’t been opened up that he normally uses so I was beginning to worry. Was he dead? So I Looked back at previous history and he had been in there on November 12 2016 so on November 11 2017 I go in on a beautiful cold afternoon and guess who shows up, Lucky now a 10 pointer with a little more mass. He hits his scrape tree but had a broken front left leg and couldn’t open his scrape up. Now after hitting his scrape he funnels right out in front of me at 48 yards and once again take the shot and once again miss him, clean shot and clean miss. I’ve now missed this deer twice. So you can imagine at this point Im pretty upset the biggest deer of my life I have now missed him twice on video. This big 10 pointer now got the name Lucky and now I knew for a fact where he is bedding. He was using this spot on a N wind and due to the setup there was only one tree I could get in with a north wind so I decided it was time to change things up. I go to a local sporting goods shop and by a $12 camo burlap sack/ tarp and decide to put it in a wax myrtle bush which stays green year around seen in picture 2.

So now the next picture I have of Lucky is November 22 2016 so I go in with the right wind on Nov 22 2017 and no luck hunted him a couple more times in November and no luck. So now in December and I have a baby due December 6 so I am out of hunting for a while and the trail cameras aren’t showing Lucky using the bedding area I had permission to hunt. So Im hunting a different area and trying to keep some pressure off luck. Now its December 30 2017 two days before the NC deer season goes out and I go back to my ground blind that I had made for lucky that I haven't been in since beginning of December at all hopefully to shoot a doe on video. What do you know plenty of day light left guess who comes out of his bed room? Damn right its him Lucky the one deer I have wanted, the biggest deer I’ve ever hunted, my dream deer. Now in the right location he walks out to 22 yards and I double lung him on video from the ground on my knees with my bow. IF you could only imagine how excited I was, it was a dream come true.Lucky measured at 143.3 inches my first pope and young my best season ever and a huge buck for NC. Thank you Dan and other Beast members that have share there knowledge that help me kill these two bucks. Until Shed season JJ
" Better to try something and fail than not to try at all. In due time you too shall reap the rewards"

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
PK_
500 Club

Re: Postby Dressedtokill » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:48 pm

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:51 am

:clap: :dance:
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:05 am

Bucks in Trucks! just makes a guy smile... :D :clap: :clap: Great buck man!
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:57 am

Congrats! :clap:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:58 am

Congrats. Nice buck. :clap:
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:16 pm