My 2018 Michigan deer season and harvest

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

trob_205
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robertstravisj

My 2018 Michigan deer season and harvest

Unread postby trob_205 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:44 am

This adventure really starts at the end of last season. Hunted my tail off in the 17 season, and like most of the deer hunting population that meant pounding the same spots from opener to close. I knew I had a good piece of private land to hunt. My first year hunting it I ran into a nice 3.5 year old a few times before finally taking him in late November. That next 2017 season was a struggle and after stumbling across this crazy t shirt guy on YouTube and the beast I had some ah-ha moments. Turns out I only knew enough to make things harder. Over hunted key spots, put trust in scent control, no observation of current conditions and movement, before season pressure via trail cams, etc. Threw up a few trail cameras in late December and I was amazed to find some great bucks were still using the property. After a long off season and some scouting in February (was a first time for me as well), I started to put together a game plan on a couple bucks that I knew at least made it through season based off of post season pictures.

First time in the stand was Oct 13. A pre set stand that I get into without boogering up what I thought was a primary bedding area I learned of from the previous spring. About an hr before dark started to get some doe and fawn traffic. To my surprise I had a great buck sneak in and was on top of me before I knew he was there. Grab the bow and ....... I forgot to snap on my carter handheld release, it was still in my pocket... buck works off and never even drew the bow. Strike one. Sat it a few more times purposely to burn the spot up and potentially eliminate that travel route. Last time I sat there was an early nov morning I had an opportunity at good looking deer I hadn’t seen in previous sits. That particular morning I forgot my rangefinder and completely botched the yardage. Found arrow with only a little bit of hair in the broadhead. Absolutely no blood but I was already down and I saw were he ran into (very healthy looking) and I figured I owed it to the animal just to check. Walked in a bump a doe and him up and he ran away more worried about the doe leaving than my presence, again looking very healthy. He was bedded near a scrape that smelled strongly recently be refreshed. I say ok he’s not even hurt and figured I’d call it a day. Get almost to the truck and I spot Mr. picket fence chasing does in the next field over. Not a buck I recognized, but one I definitely wanted on the wall. Next day I sit a stand I hung the previous winter for observation. Sat it twice (wind was not right to move in after first sit) and spotted that same buck one morning and the buck I brain farted on with the release the next morning. Next morning was a perfect SW wind to grab the climber and move in. Had the botched release buck in at 6 yards. I made the rookie mistake of sitting up on the backside of the tree. Drew back thinking he was coming left only for him to go right and busted me before I could get readjusted. Strike Two. Next few sits were uneventful and turned out being the last ones in that area before the gun opener because of wind. Opening morning of gun the wind still isn’t great, but I know when the neighbors stumble in their typcial opening day spots the does should pile in to a certain area based on previous years observation. So I just set up not to be winded by anything to enter that patch coming from the neighbors, but still close enough to the main spot I’ve been seeing the bucks. For the most part I abandon the stand for gun season and pack in a small hunting seat and a tripod or shooting stick for the gun. Open farm country terrain allows me to get away with not using the stand unless necessary for the situation. Two minutes after legal shooting time I had one solo doe work by me at 100 yards. She was covering ground quick and being solo put me on high alert. As soon as she works off I look across the field only to see that same buck I had the previous mishaps with nose to ground right on her trail. He comes into range and I’m not striking out this time. Put the crosshairs on the shoulder and he starts a 50-60 yard death run. Without stumbling across Dan and The Hunting Beast I probably never see either buck and even if I did I would have went right over with a blew them and every other deer in that area onto the neighbors property.
Went back through the previous winters pictures and found him. Personally this is how I will run cameras from here on out. Put them out in mid December and run them maybe into March. The way the farm lays out there just isn’t a good spot to run cameras early and not pressure the deer. I at least get to see what made I though and potential target bucks for the next year.
Here are some pictures I recently pulled from a camera. Mr. Picket fence I referenced to earlier is definitely younger than I guessed while on stand. 6x5 with split brow tines. Should be a great buck next year!
After watching the Farm Land DVDs they are very much on point to what happens at this farm and how this hunting season was approached. The quest for Picket Fense for 2019 has already started (and any other mature buck that I stumble across). I have a few public pieces to scout this winter/spring to make sure I keep pressure low on the private and keep me learning. Already shopping for a mobile hang on stand system to get me to the next level!

stash59

Re: My 2018 Michigan deer season and harvest

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:18 am

8-)
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:18 am

Congrats man, that is a dandy!
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:27 am

Nice buck !!!!!
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:44 am

That’s a great buck congrats!
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:45 pm

Congrats.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:58 pm

Gr8 buck :clap:
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:36 pm

Nice buck! Congrats!
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:49 pm

Congratulations! :clap:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:16 pm

Great buck. Congrats. :clap:
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:26 pm

That’s awesome. Great buck congratulations
Persistence is undefeated.
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:41 pm

Heck of a buck! Congrats
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:03 pm

Absolutely love stories like that. Congrats on a great buck. Way to execute his demise.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
RDubs44

Unread postby RDubs44 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:08 am

Really good trophy shot of the buck. Great memories for a lifetime. 8-)
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:17 am

Congratulations!!! :clap:

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”